Qualifying Round

Schedule

7th October: Bangladesh v Sri Lanka
8th October: West Indies v Zimbabwe
10th October: Sri Lanka v Zimbabwe
11th October: Bangladesh v West Indies
13th October: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe
14th October: Sri Lanka v West Indies

Can't see Zimbabwe causing an upset especially after conceding a 400 to SA. Bangladesh could cause an upset on these spinning wickets most likely against WI but I would say both SL and WI will make it.

Sri Lanka to finish top and go to Pool B, West Indies to finish second and go to Pool A. It would be better for us the other way around though.

Is the Qualifying Round played in India?

usy said:
Is the Qualifying Round played in India?

Yes it is.
The ICC Champions Trophy officially begins on 7th October 2006
with the First match at Mohali.
I think the schedule has been put up somewhere on the forums.
Anyways,the Qualifying+All other matches till the Finals are in India only.

Sri LAnka and West Indies are expected to sail through on their recent form unless Bangladesh is motivated by the Australia match of 2005. :p

I think it's rather obvious that it will be Sri Lanka and West Indies making the cut. To be frank, I don't see Bangladesh causing an upset, but perhaps creating a few worries in the opposition's camp. But yes, you do have to be weary od Bangladesh. And Zimbabwe... well Zimbabwe's team is out of sorts at the moment and with Taibu's departure, they have only become worse.

The ICC could have done with having Knock-out matches instead of the Preliminary.
It would have been quicker instead and we could have seen two teams taking off to the next stage immediately.

I have a feeling that Bangas might cause an upset and get through.

No because they can't beat West indies nor Lankans.

I don't think Bangladesh are good enough to beat Sri Lanka because they're fairly strong and established, but when the West Indies are slightly out of form they can be candidates for an upset.

The thing on Bangladesh side is the pitches and Bangladesh themselves have 2 good spinners that could win them the match. If their batters come good it's game on.

On their day Bangas can do well, and they are on conditions that will be familar enough to them. I don't think they will beat the Lankans but maybe the West Indies as they are a bit hot/cold side.

Sri Lanka is a good side and Sri Lanka are the last side to go to India out of West Indies, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Could this possibly be an advantage?

I'd expect Sri Lanka to walk it, unless they try to get clever by resting players. WIndies have players that are in form such as Lara, so I can't see an upset, unless Zimbabwe beat Bangladesh again. Strange that the defending champions have to qualify though.

yeah, it will be really sad to see if west indies get knocked out in this stage! Anyway, Zimbabwe....well, unless both the flowers, streak and others come back, they have no chance. Bangladesh; well who knows?? they must be practising hard and raring to go!

Users who are viewing this thread