Ideas

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Post your ideas for professional cricket in this thread.

I am going to have a moan about the English summer. We play 7 Tests, 2 Twenty20 Internationals and 10 ODIs every season.

5 tests, 2 Twenty20 Internationals and 7 ODIs would be better.

The 5 tests would all be against the same tourist - as to make it a showpiece series. The recent England vs India test series would have been magical had it been 5 tests instead of 3.

England would play a tri-series, last seen in 2005, with a team that comes over specifically for it and the team that is playing in the showpiece series.

We would play 1 Twenty20 against the team in the showpiece series and 1 against the team that comes over for the tri-series.

Should have been 3 Tests, 1 20/20 and 5 ODIs vs the Windies and 4 Tests, 1 20/20 and 5 ODIs against India.

The schedule should depend on the team.

By playing a five test series against one tourist every year, how do you propose to meet our obligations under the FTP to play all the other nine teams in a home Test series over a six year period?

By playing a five test series against one tourist every year, how do you propose to meet our obligations under the FTP to play all the other nine teams in a home Test series over a six year period?

Simply, don't have that obligation. Make our superiors see sense and realise that that is enough. 6 Home Test series over a 6 year period.

One thing I would like to see returned is the Natwest tri-series whereby we'd play both touring teams in a VB series type tournament with one showpiece final at Lords. That way we avoid playing two seperate blocks of ODI's.

Last edited:
Aye. Putting all the ODI's together would be better for the players and better for the schedule.

Or having the ODI's before the tests.
We did this before the Ashes, look what happened, best England performance for 20 years.
We'll be having ODI's before tests in SL in the winter.

One thing I would like to see returned is the Natwest tri-series whereby we'd play both touring teams in a VB series type tournament with one showpiece final at Lords. That way we avoid playing two seperate blocks of ODI's.

I certainly agree with that.

Instead of having 7 ODI's add another Test or a few twenty20 games.

Will's structure sounds about right.

Maybe, maybe not. Although I know they'll be training when back home, I'd personally rather stay out there and get it done in one block. Have the ODI's first, get used to the heat and conditions (etc) and then play the tests.

I guess though that all in all, my idea for pro cricket would involve getting a grip on the international schedules. Lets stop the silly trend of having 7 ODI's and keep it to 5 at the very maximum.

Some series deserve 5 tests the rest can have 3 (I know the ICC specify 2 for a series but where's the fun in that?).

The 2's are only for Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, there no point in playing 3, it would just be 3-0 instead of 2-0.
Let's see how he break goes in SL.

Simply, don't have that obligation.

It doesn't work like that, though.

The only thing I'd change at the moment would be playing the ODIs together.

For instance this year, I'd have done the 3 tests vs WI, then the 3 ODIs (I'd have 5 per team) then when they leave, play the India ODIs, then the India tests. We had that structure in 2005 iirc.

In 2005, we played two Tests against Bangladesh, then we had a tri-series with them and Australia, then we played the Ashes.

Yes.
Those weren't really tests though, lasting a long 3 days of murdering Bangladesh twice.
And then the tri series, ok Bangladesh beat Australia but they lost every other game, we'll have to have someone decent EG.South Africa and New Zealand..if we bring it back.

Users who are viewing this thread