Improving Batting Assist for DBC/ playing without circle marker

Would you like an early assist for picking legth to complement non circle marker play as an option

• YES

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • NO

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters

grkrama

National Board President
Decided to turn OFF all batting assists except trail blazer and have to say really enjoyed batting without the circle marker around the ball, this way im able to pick the line easily as well as timing is greatly improved.
you guys can see how natural it is, this was played on legend difficulty without circle marker only trails on using Close-batsman cam

So long batting with the circle seems to keep messing with your head making you concentrate more on the color and then interpreting it and doesn't give much time to focus on line, the only problem with playing without circle marker is in the odd times when you loos concentration you will mess on getting he length right, but its pretty improved this way compared to watching the green circle.A simple alternative to that marker, like a text/arc/point above the bowlers head when they choose the type of length for delivery at start-up would be great, just need to make it appear and fade before or while the bowler takes the jump and make the game much more enjoyable without watering down or slowing down the game.So people will continue to concentrate on the ball to pick line and play correct shot.

the biggest problem with circle marker is it does the opposite of what it is intended instead of making you concentrate on the ball it does the opposite of making you concentrate on the marker also makes the trail blazer insignificant by hiding it.

hudassist01.jpg

hudassist02.jpg

I hope this isnt too hard as it was easily done with fielders, we dont need the full input of the delivery like the circle marker does, just whatever length is chosen at the start, this will eliminate stupid dismissals on user part also make the game more enjoyable as well as maintain the challenge of the difficulty levels.

This can be given as option for all single player modes.

Right now BA are looking at slowing down before release i think, that will break the immersion greatly as well as feel cheap, every one wants to feel a johnson bouncer at good speed.

Playing at low levels or slowing down before release just wont cut it as it will feel like robbing of the experience.

I think right now players are made to focus too much on length rather than line by the marker, playing without it feels great, so just this little assist for length will really help improve the experience to a whole lot of people.

Sure i can play well with the current system too, but just at times i feel the game is demanding too much of me in terms of concentration, while now and then i would like such focused experience,
sometime i just want to play in a bit more relaxed manner, and playing at amateur or lower difficulties wont cut it as the way the difficulties are leveled in this game , the whole experience differs, amateur and pro have too much of assistance for my liking i terms of batting, the amount of variation and challenge level is well pronounced in veteran and legend, so this kind of option will help enjoy these levels better.As well as take the immersion higher.

Here's rough video edit of how the idea would be, this very raw and rough, but think of it like the text above fielders, it doesn't necessarily be text even a point or an arc for a second would work.

Ross @BigAntStudios would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

chintoo02018

Associate Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Decided to turn OFF all batting assists except trail blazer and have to say really enjoyed batting without the circle marker around the ball, this way im able to pick the line easily as well as timing is greatly improved.
you guys can see how natural it is, this was played on legend difficulty without circle marker only trails on using Close-batsman cam

So long batting with the circle seems to keep messing with your head making you concentrate more on the color and then interpreting it and doesn't give much time to focus on line, the only problem with playing without circle marker is in the odd times when you loos concentration you will mess on getting he length right, but its pretty improved this way compared to watching the green circle.A simple alternative to that marker, like a text/arc/point above the bowlers head when they choose the type of length for delivery at start-up would be great, just need to make it appear and fade before or while the bowler takes the jump and make the game much more enjoyable without watering down or slowing down the game.So people will continue to concentrate on the ball to pick line and play correct shot.

the biggest problem with circle marker is it does the opposite of what it is intended instead of making you concentrate on the ball it does the opposite of making you concentrate on the marker also makes the trail blazer insignificant by hiding it.

View attachment 129164

View attachment 129165

I hope this isnt too hard as it was easily done with fielders, we dont need the full input of the delivery like the circle marker does, just whatever length is chosen at the start, this will eliminate stupid dismissals on user part also make the game more enjoyable as well as maintain the challenge of the difficulty levels.

This can be given as option for all single player modes.

Right now BA are looking at slowing down before release i think, that will break the immersion greatly as well as feel cheap, every one wants to feel a johnson bouncer at good speed.

Playing at low levels or slowing down before release just wont cut it as it will feel like robbing of the experience.

I think right now players are made to focus too much on length rather than line by the marker, playing without it feels great, so just this little assist for length will really help improve the experience to a whole lot of people.

Sure i can play well with the current system too, but just at times i feel the game is demanding too much of me in terms of concentration, while now and then i would like such focused experience,
sometime i just want to play in a bit more relaxed manner, and playing at amateur or lower difficulties wont cut it as the way the difficulties are leveled in this game , the whole experience differs, amateur and pro have too much of assistance for my liking i terms of batting, the amount of variation and challenge level is well pronounced in veteran and legend, so this kind of option will help enjoy these levels better.As well as take the immersion higher.

Here's rough video edit of how the idea would be, this very raw and rough, but think of it like the text above fielders, it doesn't necessarily be text even a point or an arc for a second would work.

Ross @BigAntStudios would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

If we get circle at the time of through It will great for us

Can you tell me How you got full,good at the time of through ? I never seen such option on pro

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
I think this is a great idea as long as it could be switched on/off, far better than the circle marker and the slowing down before release idea which would be a big no for me.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I've said it before and I still think it's true : you could react to a pitch marker more quickly and effectively than the ball circle, and it's also actually more realistic, as it's giving you the knowledge a batsman gets in real life at the moment of release in it's simplest possible form.

Even so, I would have absolutely zero problem picking a shot to 95mph deliveries with the current speed and no markers on at all, if the game would just let me make the shot input when the delivery is halfway finished rather than literally a fraction of a second out of the bowlers hand. This remains the major obstacle to fun batting, for me. You don't have to pick your shot in real life until the ball has actually travelled far enough for you to be able to get a good read on it, and as long as DBC forces you to make a decision in the first 5 yards then it's just too much of a fundamental difference to feel the same.

I think that's my main source of frustration really. I'm a better bat in real life than I am on DBC. The bowling looks slow and very hittable on screen if I had a real bat in my hand, but my DBC batsman responds to my controller input so goddamn slowly it's like he's got Parkinsons.

grkrama

National Board President
ya the thing is more than the speed at which it comes to you, the latency that you mentioned between us giving input and the player reacting and also its un changeability once entered.

though i wouldn't want pitch marker back by any means this is an improvement, just that it doesn't completely do what it sets out to do, that's make you watch the ball.

I really felt it when i played without markers, as you can see in those videos my timing and ability to pick length improved a lot more.

The thing with this request is not because its a very important thing like fielding or drives going in air, but have read that their working on some sort of slowing mechanism, think this would be better and also help a lot in no circle marker mode.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Top post @grkrama and a pretty good suggestion :thumbs This suggestion, if incorporated, would reduce premeditation as well as folks will have a chance to select front or back foot based on the length instead of playing everything on front foot.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I've said it before and I still think it's true : you could react to a pitch marker more quickly and effectively than the ball circle, and it's also actually more realistic, as it's giving you the knowledge a batsman gets in real life at the moment of release in it's simplest possible form.

Even so, I would have absolutely zero problem picking a shot to 95mph deliveries with the current speed and no markers on at all, if the game would just let me make the shot input when the delivery is halfway finished rather than literally a fraction of a second out of the bowlers hand. This remains the major obstacle to fun batting, for me. You don't have to pick your shot in real life until the ball has actually travelled far enough for you to be able to get a good read on it, and as long as DBC forces you to make a decision in the first 5 yards then it's just too much of a fundamental difference to feel the same.

I think that's my main source of frustration really. I'm a better bat in real life than I am on DBC. The bowling looks slow and very hittable on screen if I had a real bat in my hand, but my DBC batsman responds to my controller input so goddamn slowly it's like he's got Parkinsons.

You hit the nail on the head. Against fast bowlers you literally need to play a shot the moment the ball is let go by the bowler and it's not much better against fast medium bowlers as well. If the timing of the batting was changed so that you play a shot, i.e. provide your input, when the ball has travelled 3/4th the length of the pitch, it would solve most of the problems. Then you would have a better chance to spot the slower deliveries and react to them accordingly instead of forcing the input literally the moment bowler lets go off the delivery and watching in horror as you realize it's a slower delivery, usually short of length, which gets you LBW.

@BigAntStudios, @HBK619, @fiction this is pretty good feedback provided by grkrama and TJ. Do consider it as this will go a long way in making the batting even more intuitive, realistic and fun.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Well I think my suggestion would require huge changes to the game code so it's not something I actually expect them to implement.

It was possible to edit the timing windows for individual shots in cricket 2004 and with DBC having been described as mod friendly I kind of assumed the same level of messing about would be possible, but I'm not sure about that now.

I kind of get the impression that they're trying to keep the game code more or less the same for offline and online and I would imagine that adds huge limitations.

Just as an aside to that, I posted a frame of Ian Botham's backlift on a pull shot a while back for another discussion, but here it is again. The bowler was medium pace, maybe 75mph. It's a rank long hop, but you can see the ball is nearly on him and he hasn't started the downswing yet.

c0t7v1bn7
View image: botham1

The weirdest thing about batting for me is that you have to swing so early. I'm used to it and I can still enjoy batting, but I'd still dearly love to be able to hit the right stick nearer to when I would begin my downswing in real life.

Last edited:

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I am happy with the current system of watching the ball and playing without HUDs but for those who need it @grkrama suggestion of over the head indication of length would be great addition but the thing that needs to be discussed is about when to display it i.e how much time before the bowler bowls...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I don't expect them to change the timing/game mechanics in the current iteration but they should consider it for the next iteration for sure. If Big Ant can fix the shots to go along the ground and the messed up slower deliveries (too drastic a difference in fastest and slowest deliveries), that should do it for this iteration of the game. In the next iteration (hopefully DBC 15) they can enhance the batting mechanics along with adding additional features.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I am happy with the current system of watching the ball and playing without HUDs but for those who need it @grkrama suggestion of over the head indication of length would be great addition but the thing that needs to be discussed is about when to display it i.e how much time before the bowler bowls...

When the bowler is in his delivery stride/jump should be the default. Also, there should be a setting how early a user wants to see the length indication. For casual gamers, it can be shown as grkrama showed in his video, and for hardcore gamers there's an option to turn it off altogether.

chintoo02018

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The point where you have edited Good,short,full indication of line length is good and enough for batting Rest is fine,colored circle in place of text is good.

Pitch pointer is not justified it will spoil all charm of cricket same as other cricket game

Users who are viewing this thread