India tour of New Zealand - Jan to Feb 2014

grkrama

National Board President
Yea if Ishant gives 70 runs in 10 overs, Nehra will give 65 runs in 10 overs. Agree, he is definitely better than Ishant!

Serious? Nehra? :facepalm

He was India's highest wicket taker from 2009 till 2011 WC were he performed well against pak got injured and rested.Has not got a look back since he recovered (2011 itself)
He was Dhoni's & ganguly's goto bowler for powerplay and death overs.
We have this habit of prejudicing players without looking at performance just because we dont like them.
I think i made a reasonable suggestion ,if zak can be brought back so can nehra.
If a experienced bowler has to be brought back and it is my choice, i too will go with Zak because he has better leadership qualities and doesn't sulk.i did mention nehra as an after thought, say zak gets injured or doesnt perform well the other experienced bowler that can be included would be nehra,that was the point i was trying to make.
I did mention some other valid points in the previous post but just 'nehra' seems to catch everybody's eye Damn that guy:mad

----------

Or get SRT back of his peaceful retirement :p

Last edited:

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think fundamentally what needs change is that we need more green tracks in domestic cricket for our batsmen and fast bowlers to develop their craft on.

The nature of ODI cricket is increasingly making spin irrelevant because of small grounds and rule changes with regard to fielders outside the circle.

From what I've observed of India's performances overseas, the team management needs to rethink the bowling formula. Definitely pace is the way to go and have a guy like Jadeja to make up the fifth bowler quota. Otherwise get a very good, accomplished leggie into the team...

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
He was India's highest wicket taker from 2009 till 2011 WC were he performed well against pak got injured and rested.Has not got a look back since he recovered (2011 itself)

I just hope that you were joking above. His last 3 series were very much worse than 'pathetic'.

New Zealand in India ODI Series, 2010/11 ( 5 matches, 5 wickets, Avg - 46 )
India in South Africa ODI Series, 2010/11( 4 matches, 3 wickets, Avg - 58 )
ICC Cricket World Cup (in Bangladesh/India/Sri Lanka), 2010/11( 3 matches, 3 wickets, Avg - 40 )

Just wish that I was seeing statistics of a batsman there to think that he was our better looking guy!

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
Dhoni really need think out of box now... Why binny miss out on final match?... Why is there Mohith Sharma not in the Squad?... Why you put Ishwar Pandey and Amit Mishra in the Squad, if you not like to give them a chance?... Why you support Ajinkya Rahane, he is waste of the time in oversea?... Give Pujar chance in ODI, he can do much better than Rahane and Rohit in this kind of Pitch?... Is Shikar One time Man Only?... Why Dropping Vinay on Oversea Matches? He is more hard worker than that long Hair Man in India Squad... Dhoni need to Admit that Ashwin and Jadeja not made for play good in oversea...

grkrama

National Board President
Surendar you are making me defend Nehra:noway ,look he is no great bowler but is certainly better than Ishant ,has experience in bowling at death with the medium pace he has got and he is certainly second to Zak if experience is required . here is his last bowling performance

A Nehra 10 0 33 2 3.30

ever since he made come back to Odi side from 2009-2011.
Mat Inns Overs Mdns Runs Wkts BBI Ave Econ SR 4 5
48 48 362.3 15 2122 65 4/40 32.645.85 33.4 3 -

even in the series you mentioned he has taken 4 fers and at time bowled super tight 6o-10r-2w.

I mentioned Nehra as a backup to a experienced bowler if required and i have given enough reasons to justify it from my point of view.
If you find it funny its your choice and lets agree to disagree.
End of matter.:cheers

ferg512

International Coach
What has happened to guys like Ashok Dinda and Manpreet Gony, they looked pretty handy from what I saw in the IPL although that was quite a while ago.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Both were never of International standards; Ganguly though was a very strong supporter of Dinda.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
From the depressing conversation in re Indian pace bowling (it is actually a bit sad that Nehra looks like a real option at this point of time and can be discussed seriously as a selection in the side), it looks like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. As I said in a previous post, the strategy of developing fast bowling needs to be an integrated one. Green and faster pitches will improve both the batsmen and the bowlers in overseas tours.

Unless of course, we are satisfied with preserving our formidable home record in exchange for mediocre to poor performances outside the sub-continent.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Why you support Ajinkya Rahane, he is waste of the time in oversea?... Why Dropping Vinay on Oversea Matches? He is more hard worker than that long Hair Man in India Squad...

Ajinkya Rahane is an excellent player with a very good technique. He is good enough to survive overseas but the frustrating part is he does not perform when he has chance to do so. In this NZ series, Rahane had an ideal opportunity to do well and cement his spot in this Indian ODI team but he failed. This time, I can't give excuse that he has was not picked consistently because he played in the whole series. I would still have him in the squad though because I feel he is good and will improve from this experiences.

Let's just not talk about Vinay Kumar because it is just depressing to see him bowl.

What has happened to guys like Ashok Dinda and Manpreet Gony, they looked pretty handy from what I saw in the IPL although that was quite a while ago.

Oh lord I am getting even more depress now. I also laughed so hard when I read this last year.

Ashok Dinda's jump at bowling crease reminds me of myself: Donald - The Times of India

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
^ I'm certain he wouldn't have said that if he weren't the bowling coach of Pune Warriors.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
on one hand it's worth noting that mcgrath has been helping with their pace academy for a while now and india still haven't produced any good pacers.

on the other it's also worth noting that a number have come in to the team quite good before turning to dross.

Users who are viewing this thread