India tour of South Africa - 2013/14

Params7

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm dying to see India play tests outside again. This should be a good series.

playkid12

Club Captain
How about Praveen Kumar? He is a very interesting bowler actually.

Although Praveen Kumar is a good bowler, he's had a series of domestic problems last time I heard. He's been mouthy to umpires, unwilling to talk to his team members (to the point where the rest of the team is afraid to speak to him because he snaps), and he's gotten in a few fist fights.

Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/622791.html

Most likely that's the bowling attack that we are going to see backed up by Shami Ahmed and Ishant Sharma/Varun Aaron.

I'm confused why Varun Aaron's name was so casually included in this post other than perhaps emotional optimism. He's a good bowler, no doubt, but he hasn't even been in the news for at least a year due to injuries. I doubt if we'll see him until next year.

I really hope Zaheer, Bhuvaneshwar, and Umesh Yadav are our bowlers in SA. I'd love to see Shami too. I personally would put Aaron above Shami and Ishant, but who knows how he's bowling now after the injury. I guess we'll find out in the Ranji Trophy.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Its going to be a very tough tour for India. South African team has just played a series with a sub continent team.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
After Shami's rise, I am now potentially very excited about our bowling attack for this tour. Shami with one game has leapfrogged Ishant Sharma and has firmly put himself among the top bracket of India's fast bowlers. Before the Kolkata test vs WI, Bhuvaneshwar Kumar must have felt fairly confident of a spot in the XI for the first test in South Africa. But now, Bhuvi can't take that for granted.

If Zaheer comes back for this tour, then our starting attack of fast bowlers should be: Zaheer, Yadav and Shami. Two express pacers complemented by one left arm wily bowler. I don't think India will ever play 4 fast bowlers in the same game. Our fast bowlers for the SA tour should be Yadav, Shami, Zaheer, Bhuvi and Ishant.

----------

Its going to be a very tough tour for India. South African team has just played a series with a sub continent team.

I have a feeling India is going to perform better than expectations. Might or might not be a series win, but I have a feeling that India is going to do well.:yes

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
on this tour india need a pace bowler that can do something with an old ball. whether it's a guy with some pace, or just the best reverse swing bowler you have (shami was relatively promising in that regard, loads of reverse) the debacle against england and australia was partly down to bowlers not having a clue how to get someone out in more humid conditions on a pitch that holds together.

after 30 overs you normally have reverse and a spinning pitch to make use of, in South africa reverse will be harder to come by and the pitch won't take spin (though warne used to eat south africa so there is a way with clever bowling)

I'd reign expectations in though, india should be focused on moving forward not necessarily winning. batsmen improving in the conditions, bowlers learning to be dangerous with an old ball on a green pitch, these would be good signs, because if most of amla, de villiers, kallis, philander and steyn all play to their ability india will certainly lose both tests.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
on this tour india need a pace bowler that can do something with an old ball. whether it's a guy with some pace, or just the best reverse swing bowler you have (shami was relatively promising in that regard, loads of reverse) the debacle against england and australia was partly down to bowlers not having a clue how to get someone out in more humid conditions on a pitch that holds together.

after 30 overs you normally have reverse and a spinning pitch to make use of, in South africa reverse will be harder to come by and the pitch won't take spin (though warne used to eat south africa so there is a way with clever bowling)

I'd reign expectations in though, india should be focused on moving forward not necessarily winning. batsmen improving in the conditions, bowlers learning to be dangerous with an old ball on a green pitch, these would be good signs, because if most of amla, de villiers, kallis, philander and steyn all play to their ability india will certainly lose both tests.

I think this is where Zaheer and Shami could come into play. Shami showed in the recent test vs WI how well he can reverse the ball. And Zaheer is a pro at this. Assuming that he stays fit, he is one of the best exponents for India at reverse swing and bowling with the old ball. And Zaheer has showed tremendous (bordering on the levels of shocking) fitness in the recent times (see here).

AMB

Banned
Indian squad will have 2 changes ie Rohit in place of Sachin sir
and Jadeja back in p[lace of Ojha.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I wish Amit Mishra is given a chance to prove himself in the current Windiws tour. I think he would be a great addition for the South Africa tour as the backup spinner. Ojha (while being a bit unlucky) has lacked bite, atleast in the first game against Windies.

On the other hand, Harbhajan has 17 wickets from 2 Ranji games now. I hope the selectors don't really fall back to him *shudders*

macintosh

Club Captain
Its stupid that Rishi Dhawan is nowhere near the side. A super talented all rounder, right time to give him a bit of the exposure.

War

Chairman of Selectors

In a lot of ways since India lost at home to England last year, IND have not been tested since especially in tests.

The ODI team has stepped up a notch, but a lot of test match frailties that England found, poor visiting AUS and WI test teams have not come close to potentially testing.

Series could be real ugly for IND if S Africa play to potential IMO, i personally have not seen enough from them this year that gives me the impression that they will challenge significantly in these tests.

I see Steyn/Philander/Morkel exposing their young batsmen. I'd reckon their quick bowlers Kumar/Sami/Zaheer (if they pick him)/Yadav may probably trouble S Africa batters more than the batsmen scoring runs vs S Africa's bowlers.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I pretty sure they'll lose but I have seen a lot of potential from this team. positive improvement is all they need to achieve. they have a run of tests in SAF, NZ and then england and I reckon they'll be a threat by the tour of england.

Dhoni has consistently thrived when leading younger players, he's the best proper captain in the world and the team has renewed enthusiasm and optimism.

it's just SAF are too good, they'd wipe anyone out right now and india have some learning to do.

ferg512

International Coach
I pretty sure they'll lose but I have seen a lot of potential from this team. positive improvement is all they need to achieve. they have a run of tests in SAF, NZ and then england and I reckon they'll be a threat by the tour of england.

Dhoni has consistently thrived when leading younger players, he's the best proper captain in the world and the team has renewed enthusiasm and optimism.

it's just SAF are too good, they'd wipe anyone out right now and india have some learning to do.

Its not just that SA are too good, the conditions will be so foreign to most of the Indian batsman who have been smashing everyone on their flat decks. That will be the downfall, I think the bowlers especially Bhuvi and Shami will fair pretty well however.

Users who are viewing this thread