Indian Cricket Board BCCI Announces Sweeping Changes

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Well you reallt can't compare the two.
The only reason why Pawar stood was that he could gather all state associations which are under the control of the UPA Govt.It is not Pawar who is in the seat though.It's Bindra and Modi who have ensured that pawar is a puppet.

Had Dalmiya been in the seat,then these changes could have been implemented well before the WC,infact as early as the Windies debacle.Though he would not have had restrictions on cricket advertising !

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Cricketman93 said:
Lol.
Niranjan Shah was interviewed yesterday on Headlines Today. It was hilarious, he was gulping away!
The endorsments deal is crap IMO. The players already have contracts with all these companies, the dictator BCCI can't just come in and tell them to cancel all of that, its unfair to the companies!
If the ICC came to the BCCI and said to them "you can only have 1 company to sponser your team blah blah blah" they had to choose between Sahara and Nike. Thats unfair to the companies, am i right? This happened before the 03 WC, and the BCCI even threatened to pull out because of the sponsorship row! This is utter hypocrisy in my opinion..

The BCCI is not going to be "retrospective" in the endorsements deal (i.e.) those players with existing contracts need not cancel it. In short, this restriction is not going to affect players like Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and a few others who have contracts that last out almost their career! Guys like Dhoni, Karthik, Pathan, etc are the ones who might be affected by this!

But still, they are earning enough money from playing for India. They earn more if they win matches. And they still can do 3 endorsements. Whats the big deal about all this?

They all play at least 25+ ODI's per year and may be about 8-9 test matches per year! Even if they lose continuously, they pocket a decent amount. If they win, they pocket more in form of bonuses. If they win abroad, they pocket really handsome bonuses! I feel this is right from BCCI and I dont wish they change their stance! May be they can change the restriction of "only 3 players per sponsor" to "5 players per sponsor".

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I still think that thats not enough. I mean, even if they go into a software job or something, they have chances to go abroad and get paid alot more money!
25lakh=roughly 50k USD. An Intelligent software guy in the US makes at least 110k!
I think that the idea is alright, but then it has a backfire to it. Instead of the players not concentrating because "they have too much money"-they're going to not concentrate thinking on how to put food on the table for their families who are used to living in a "high-class" lifesyle!
A lady yesterday made a very good point when talking to Mr. Shah yesterday on HT. She said that if anyone of these cricketers take this to court for charges of something, not sure what but it was like "against the pursuit of happiness" or something, that they would win. She was a lawyer btw.

Indyan

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
saisrini80 said:
First people want the endorsements to be curbed for the interest of indian cricket. now they are protesting against it. nonsense! in my opinion, the board has done the right thing.

the money that the player earns from the board is more than enough. plus he can have at least 3 endorsements. whats the big fuss in this? the indian board this time is more powerful than the WICB, so i dont think the indian players can counter the board like what the west indian players are doing regarding their contracts! if the players dont agree, they will be dropped in favor of other players!

Firstly there is no such thing as enough money.
BCCI has no right to restrict players for earning money in legit ways. Certainly they deserve the money, thats why they are getting it - they are worth what they are getting paid for.

BCCI can only interfare if endorsements are hurting the cricketing interests. They already ensured that it is not hurting cricketing interests through restrictions like only 2 players per company, you can not take part in sponsor related activities between or immediately before a series etc.
So, whats the need to curb the no. of endorsements they can do? Remember, what a cricket player earns during the 10 years he plays for his is earning for entire life. And then, most players dont even play for 10 years.
Why doesnt BCCI say to Nimbus, your offer is too much, we wont take so much money?

Dont come and tell me the reason we lost is endorsements. Shooting an ad takes only about 1 day. So, how many days do these players actually spend in doing these endorsements?

This endorsement thing is nothing more than a smart political move to get public support.

The thing that is lacking in Indian Cricket is accountability.
Players, coaches, selectors, board officials need to be made accountable.

slade

Club Cricketer
Its the attitude of the players which are complaining that annoys me.

Representing your country is the highest honour and they are privileged enough to get a chance to do so. Playing for India should be enough reward and any talk of money should be afterwards.

You say they earn $50k and a software developer in the US earns twice as much. That doesnt take into account the difference in living costs and relative purchasing power. A dollar in India would buy a lot more than a dollar in the US. What about the prestige and respect the players get. How many people want autographs and pictures of software developers.

As for taking the board to court it may work but ultimately the board can drop whoever they want and if a player isnt playing for india, they are quickly gonna lose their endorsements.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Thats the problem,we do have some players who don't even have the baisc education....
say 12th grade or something like that.
It is but obvious that they would not get a job w/o a degree.
However,we do have ppl like Kumble,Srinath,who are qualified engineers and thats the reason you dont see them doing many commercials,cause they can work later in life.

Indyan

Club Cricketer
They arent seen doing so many commercials as they have been largely neglected players. They havent really captured the public imagination, in spite of serving Indian cricket for such a long time.

prarara

International Cricketer
I think there's one think people are forgetting about endorsements. If they are curtailed, then this shortens the supply of players who can have endorsements...or players with free deal spots, right?

The endorsement companies will be competing with each other to offer a better deal to the player..in effect paying more then they did before for the same player. So will this new policy of curtailment have any effect really?

Indyan

Club Cricketer
So will this new policy of curtailment have any effect really?
I think Dravid, Sachin and Dhoni represents approximately 15 brands. 15 sponsors = 3 sponsors?
I doubt if that is going to happen. But, yes the players brand value would increase and sponsors would be willing to pay slightly more.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
The existing contracts are going to be honoured.
This means that the players won't be able to endorse more !

Users who are viewing this thread