Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Neptune

Panel of Selectors
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Apparently, some overzealous analyst (RCB fan in disguise!) did some funky computer modeling to predict the results of the remaining games of IPL 2021 and called for RCB to win the IPL 2021 title per his predictive modeling.

Its funny that Google caught onto it and calls RCB as the winner of the tournament :lol:facepalm
I've talked to him, and he seems like a regular dc fan with a hobby of coding. Obviously no simulation can ever keep up with the unpredictability of the IPL, so these simulations shouldn't be looked at as more than just a prediction

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
So BCCI have announced the completion in Sep-Oct in UAE. Would be a disaster imo, won't be interesting at all.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
So BCCI have announced the completion in Sep-Oct in UAE. Would be a disaster imo, won't be interesting at all.

I am sure it will find its hardcore fan following, but I agree - it is going to be fairly lacklustre now. Its kind of a joke right - half the tournament is suddenly going to be played in completely different conditions and most likely with very different starting XIs because I am quite sure, a lot of foreign players will opt out of the second leg.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
I am sure it will find its hardcore fan following, but I agree - it is going to be fairly lacklustre now. Its kind of a joke right - half the tournament is suddenly going to be played in completely different conditions and most likely with very different starting XIs because I am quite sure, a lot of foreign players will opt out of the second leg.
They are completing it just for one thing - Money Money Money

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
They are completing it just for one thing - Money Money Money

I dont mind that, as long as they dont give bs reasons like "we are playing to put smiles on face of fans". Plus the planning and logistics of holding it in UAE will definitely cost them a fair bit, right? I guess it will be richly offset by the tv/ad revenue, etc

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
I dont mind that, as long as they dont give bs reasons like "we are playing to put smiles on face of fans". Plus the planning and logistics of holding it in UAE will definitely cost them a fair bit, right? I guess it will be richly offset by the tv/ad revenue, etc
TV ad revenue is only for the broadcaster. Bcci gets a fixed sum of some 65cr INR per match from Star India. So if they don't organise those matches, close to 2000cr will be lost by BCCI in revenue.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
it is going to be fairly lacklustre now
I agree. I mean I'm gonna end up watching it but only because I'm a sucker for cricket. But playing half the tournament with revised squads and a completely different location/timings is bound to take off the sheen significantly. The only reason it's still in contention is because of $$$s at stake, so just hope they call a spade a spade and do not try to tag it with some emotional/sentimental reason behind its continuation - something which I'm anticipating will happen nonetheless.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Note that the BCCI would stand to only gain by completing the tournament. They had sponsor concerns last year, which meant less money in their coffers.

A complete cancellation would be disastrous from a financial POV, especially with the new broadcast tender and new IPL team tender looming.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Since this is going to be restarted, we are for sure losing the T20 WC. I cannot imagine the stress and fatigue the players will be under. England series, Sri Lanka series, IPL, WC, etc.

Verified Enigma

Champions League Winner
Avengers
Since this is going to be restarted, we are for sure losing the T20 WC. I cannot imagine the stress and fatigue the players will be under. England series, Sri Lanka series, IPL, WC, etc.
But but IPL revenue is more important than T20WC, because majority of T20WC profits go to ICC.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK

It doesn't matter if India doesn't win the T20 WC this year. There is another one coming up next year. If we lose that, the ODI WC follows immediately in 2023. If we lose that, there is another ICC event following in 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 and so on.... Every year, we will get a shot at an ICC trophy. Its the same as IPL now, an every year spectacle.

But but IPL revenue is more important than T20WC, because majority of T20WC profits go to ICC.

I sense a sarcasm in your post, but seriously speaking, when you have an ICC event every year where the ICC want to maximize their own revenues, it is time for the BCCI to prioritize its own revenue and put the IPL ahead. Anyone talking about national interest/pride is seriously living in a fantasy world.

Users who are viewing this thread