Story India's Journey in Test Cricket- IND v NZ; IND: 121-AO

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
flbt5z.jpg

With Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman announcing retirement, Indian cricket has faced a major blow as the Trademark Indian Batting, which contained the Fab4, had to lose three of its 3 pillars. Sourav Ganguly, who retired few years ago, now was joined by Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman. With Anil Kumble departing from test team and Zaheer Khan mostly unavailable due to injuries, Indian bowling faced lots of testing times, not just in the test cricket, both in ODis and T20is. India bowling for two continuous days at Australia clearly meant that Indian bowling is absolutely weak. Sachin Tendulkar is the only senior batsman left in the team, who is about to retire in the upcoming year.

With Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and Sachin Tendulkar as the people with fair amount of international experience, India is all set to face strong challenge when they play their test matches. The captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni might be a great ODi & T20 player, but when it comes to Test cricket, the continual disinterest from Dhoni's part has been strong. He was not even better than Ravi Ashwin, a bowling all rounder, in the Australian soil. His recent interviews say strongly that he will quit some or the other format by 2013, and the strong belief is that he will be leaving test cricket.

virender-sehwag-zaheer-khan-gautam-gambhir-sachin-tendulkar-2010-1-28-3-12-49.jpg

These four players will be the Indian senior players from the next Test series what India play.​

Without the Very Very Special Wall, India are all set to host New Zealand, England and Australia. New Zealand is comparatively weaker team, but England and Australia look fairly stronger than India on paper. Is there any way that will take team India back to their glory days in test cricket?

Credits:
1) Fenil Patel, who given me quick and honest feedback personally.
2) Zaxotes, MattW and Nouman who made the boring Cricket 2007 look colorful and the story scintillate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
More new players are coming with hopes of better then Dravid ( the great wall of India ) like Ajinkya Rahane and also the under 19 team has proved that their bowling is great and surely India will debut one of the best India's uner 19 bowler .

----------

Test cricket has been one of the major oppertunity for a youngster to show everyone what he's got , and Sachin did the same thing even Dravid and in test matches , but bowling has been a big problem from past 4-5 years and now they're improving .

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
14wwpl2.jpg

BCCI Announces Schedule.

Mumbai: BCCI FTP planner, Ravi Shastry called for a press meet, where he announced the schedule of the India - New Zealand series. New Zealand will tour India for three test matches and four T20 matches, just before the ICC World T20, which is hosted by Sri Lanka. India will play two practice T20 matches, which means India will play total of 6 T20 matches before the tournament begins.

"Well, we have decided to host New Zealand few weeks ago and we have come up with a schedule after fair amount of discussions with Kiwis. It has been decided that both the teams will play 3 test matches and 4 T20i matches in the month of August and September. The test series kicks off on 10th of August, 2012 will be concluded on 30th of August. the four T20 matches will take place on September 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th. New Zealand will not play any practice matches because of less amount of time availability. The first test will be held at Cuttak, followed by the second test at Vishakapatnam. The third & final test match will be held at Chennai. Whereas the first T20 will be held at Bengaluru, second at Mumbai, third at Pune and fourth at Hyderabad. The scheduling has been done by keeping the climatic conditions in mind, as in the other areas, the weather will be absolutely bad in the month of August." Ravi Shastry, the BCCI FTP planner announced to media.

15yb93.jpg

A Indian map showing the Venues.​

The three coastal cities will host the test matches, and all the South Western Cities have been given chance to host the T20 matches by keeping the climatic conditions in mind. Both the teams will have adequate practice right before the ICC World T20, at almost similar conditions.

Last edited:

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
It should better be termed as NZ tour of South India (barring Maharastra of course). :lol I'll have a look at the squads first and then decide which team to follow. I hope Ryder -- who made a century in Ahmedabad test in their last tour to India -- makes it in the side.

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
14wwpl2.jpg

New Zealand announce their 15 man squad for Test matches

Auckland: The New Zealand chief selector Stephen Fleming announced the 15 man squad of their nation which will play three test matches in India. Daniel Vettori will be leading the Kiwis, Ross Taylor, Brendon McCullum, Martin Guptill, James Franklin, Kane Williamson and Jesse Ryder will be lining up when Kiwis have to bat and Tim Southee, Daniel Vettori, Trent Boult, Chris Martin, Jeetan Patel will be their bowling attack. The surprise inclusion was Jesse Ryder, who was left out of team since an year. Daniel Vettori and Jeetan Patel are the two spinners, who will look to make some sort of difference because of the fact that the tournament is in the Sub continent, where spinners will have major role in the team.

Two Players to watch out for:
501369.html
Daniel Vettori: The veteran slow left arm orthodox bowler will be the one man who will grab all eyes. The tests being held in sub continent, and his experience- all these factors will keep him in huge pressure both from team management and fans. "I'll do my best. I've played in Chennai earlier, and I'll need to look on how the pitch behaves freshly because the pitch on what I've played is completely different from what I'm going to bowl on. I've no idea on how Cuttak and Visakhapatnam pitch produce, and added to that, Chennai pitch is a new one. So, I'll need to play as if I'm playing on unknown pitches, although the basic idea is that these pitches will definitely favor spinners. With Indian veterans like Rahul and VVS retiring, we have a very good chance to win against them." is what Daniel Vettori had to say.

501421.html
Ross Taylor: This man will be someone on whom all eyes will be on. He has made his name in all Indian fans, as a big hitter. He will be the major player on whom NZ could trust on, as he has experience of sheer slogging whenever the situation demands. If the New Zealand top order plays upto 40th or 50th over, the conditions will be like an old ball, flat wicket and Taylor on strike. "I'm awaiting to see how the things go. With Ryder in the team, my role will definitely change, because we had no one else to maintain some aggressiveness in our team and I had to take up that role. With Ryder in the squad, I doubt if my role remains the same. I might have to play slower than what I am. This should be an interesting series- apart from the fact that we have great advantage to build pressure on India who are now without their Very Very Special Wall, but Cricket definitely misses them. They were examples to many youngsters, I personally taught many youngsters by making them watch Rahul's videos. He was a very great player, captain too. I'm glad that I've played under him." Ross puts out his words what he had on the retirement of Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Even with Vettori and Ryder (unlike real life) we're still going to struggle in the Tests. Vettori can no longer spin the ball, and Ryder's bound to have some off-field drama going along with him. :p

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
14wwpl2.jpg

Kaif, Pujara & Harbhajan Recalled

Mumbai: The BCCI chief selector Mr. Krishnamachari Srikkanth announced the 13 man squad what will play against New Zealand in Cuttak. The surprise inclusion of Mohammad Kaif, who last played for India in 2006, was the hot topic among the Indian fans. Cheteshwar Pujara, who played two tests prior to his injury, which sustained for an year, finally is back in the team. Harbhajan Singh, who was kept out since last year, finally found himself in the team.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni is about to test his luck on home soil, as his record now stands 8 consecutive test losses at foreign soil. India lost to England, where they lost the #1 spot. India managed to win against West Indies, but it was followed by a 0-4 loss to rookie-ish Australia. The captaincy of MS Dhoni was heavily criticized.

The shocking news that came out from Srikkanth was the termination of contract with Duncan Fletcher, who was appointed as coach of Team India. When asked about the replacement coach, he said that the former Indian captains Sourav Ganguly and Anil Kumble will join Eric Simmons to train the team for this series.

"We've decided to call back Mohammad Kaif, who has waited for 6 long years. Pujara is back into the team after a year long injury. Sachin, Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Virat Kohli and MS Dhoni have their spots. Ajinkya Rahane will be in if the situation demands any last moment substitution. Bowling department will consist of Zaheer Khan, Umesh Yadav, Ishant Sharma, Ravi Ashwin and Harbhajan Singh. Also, we've decided to terminate the contract with Duncan Fletcher, who was the coach of Team India since last June. Also, it has been decided that the former Indian captains, Sourav Ganguly and Anil Kumble will join Eric Simmons to train the team. The team is looking weak without the veterans. We were asked by Sachin Tendulkar to make sure that some retired Indian player is appointed as coach, which was the base for this decision."

Two Players to Watch out for:
103.png
Harbhajan Singh:

Yes, Bhajji is back. He was axed from the team last year due to poor performance. Now he is back, with good form and new strength. Himself being a resident of sub continent, he has knowledge of all sorts of pitches in the sub continent. He knows how the pitch behaves in different situations. "I'm glad to know that I'm back in the team. It has been an year, so might be I'll need to introduce myself to the team which is no more the same." said Harbhajan.

156.png
Cheteswar Pujara:
Not sure at where does he come in (#3 or #5), but where ever he comes, all eyes will be on him. He scored a brilliant half century knock against the Australians at Bengaluru, on day 5 of the second test. Then, he didn't get many chances as Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman took the #3, #4 and #5 spots. Getting out of cricket for 8 months due to an injury, he played domestic cricket and IPL. His three consecutive Triple centuries in domestic arena grabbed the attention of the cricketing world. "I'm waiting for my re-debut. I knew that I would be picked in the squad, I started practicing as if I knew I was in the Indian squad. People say I'm junior Dravid etc etc, but I never take in those words. My role model might be Dravid, my style of play might coincide with Dravid, but I can never be him." Pujara answers everyone who consider him as junior Dravid.

Vivek7

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
I never wanted Harbhajan to play in this tour. Anyways lets see what he can do in the matches.

Prithvi

India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
14wwpl2.jpg

The Battle of Wrecked- India v New Zealand.
Cuttak: The test match at Cuttak between India and New Zealand is the very first tournament India are playing without Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman, fortunately against comparatively weaker New Zealand, who were in same situation of India around 24 months ago. India still have Sachin Tendulkar playing in them, along side few senior players like Sehwag, Gambhir, Zaheer Khan, Harbhajan Singh, but the big names of Kiwis left in the team aren't test cricket professionals. Ross Taylor, Brendon McCullum are the two batsmen, who haven't proved themselves much in longer formats of cricket, although Kane Williamson and Daniel Vettori are seeming to make a bit of difference. Mohammad Kaif will definitely waiting for his re-debut, who has been out of international arena since six years. He will be definitely a great addition to team India, because with the departure of Dravid and Laxman, India needs a player on whom they can count- Mohammad Kaif is top among such kind of players.

148908.jpg

AirTel cup was unveiled at Konark Sun Temple, around 50 KMs away from Cuttak.​

Form guide
India LLLLD (Most recent first)
New Zealand LLDLD

Pitch & Weather Report
The words from Sourav Ganguly, which truly said that the pitch has almost nothing for any kind of bowlers, might just turn out to be the same. However, Daniel Vettori ruled out the possibility of a run feast, as he said that strong winds from the Bay of Bengal could help seamers. The weather might be a bit worsened, being it a costal place in rainy season. The weather forecast says that a Cyclone might just be a spoilsport for all the three test matches, which are scheduled in east coast.

Possible XIs
India Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Mohammad Kaif, Sachin Tendulkar, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, MS Dhoni (Capt & wk), Harbhajan Singh, Ravi Ashwin, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma
New Zealand Jesse Ryder, Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Daniel Flynn, James Franklin, Brendon McCullum (wk), Daniel Vettori (Capt), Tim Southee, Jeethan Patel, Chris Martin.

Quote-Unquote
"This is perfect chance to make a come back from losing streak. India are stronger, but you never know, with three youngsters, a lot might happen. We're looking forward to give our best and try to win a match" Ross Taylor.

"Awaiting my re-debut, which has finally come after six years. I'd hope to perform well and cement my place." Mohammad Kaif.

"Perfect way to re-start test cricket, when the team is dented. Good job by VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid, who retired right before the series against whom youngsters could easily play on." Harsha Bhogle.

"The first stirrings of India's 2012 10-Test home season will contain the hollowness of departure. Like the shutting of a door, the quiet after a goodbye on the telephone" Sharda Ugra

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Jesse Ryder is a welcome inclusion for the kiwis. He has a good record against India while, if I'm not wrong, Daniel Vettori has better average than Ross Taylor and Brendon McCullum against India in India. Expecting a good show from the NZ players unlike their real life 2012 tour which has started with a huge loss.

As far as Indian line-up is concerned, there was no need to go in reverse for Dhoni. Instead of Isshannt Sharma, (thats how is to be spelled after his superstitious move to change the spelling of his first name) they should have drafted young Umesh Yadav in the final XI. I'll be keeping an eye on veteran Mohd. Kaif's performance more than any other batter in the Indian outfit.

Users who are viewing this thread