Indoor Cricket

shawnymike88

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just thought I would share a new "variation" on the sport of criket that my youth pastor and I created. It's our version of indoor cricket, as best played with wiffle ball equiptment. We play in our church's gym using the lines of the basketball court as the boundary lines. Usually we play 5-6 people per team, 10 overs per side, and we usually get a full 1 inning game in in about half and hour. The hardest part to create was the wickets. I used 3/4" PVC piping cut to the standard dimensions for a wicket, made a wooden base for them to sit in, and made 4 bails out of dowels, 2 for each wicket, of course. Sorry if this is completely random too, but if anybody wants my drafting of the official rules you can PM me and I'll send them to you. Its a lot of fun, plus, it's introduced a lot of people i know to the sport as well.

-SMike

Indoor cricket is quite popular around Lancashire, certainly the north of the county, we play in a league of 5, which is quite alot for Indoor cricket, we play over the winter and play around one a month with maybe a friendly every month aswell.

I am personally playing due to me not being able to stop Cricket due to a bad shoulder, i fear if i stop, then itll just get worse, but its a fun game to say the least

Not really...we've had new people start playing just about every time, and they havent had much trouble with the rules at all. But most of the time, people dont pick up on the LBW rule until somebody gets out LBW. It's been a pretty low scoring affair so far....lots of induvidual scores between 15-25. Only once have we had a score of 49...nothing higher. I think a lot of it has to do with our equiptment...we are using wiffle ball bats and balls. If youre not familiar with that, a wiffle ball is the same size as a cricket/baseball but it has eight oval-shaped holes on one side, which makes them swing, and they swing a lot. Wiffle bats, on the other hand, are really skinny and round...pretty much the polar opposite of a cricket bat. That's been the hardest part...but that makes hitting sixes much harder. Its not too much different from real indoor cricket, but, its obvious that its not completely the same.
It's a lot of fun, and if you want to know how i got it started, I can send you the rules if you want them.

-SMike

I went to an indoor center and they had balls with little divets in them so I could say that I have seen wiffle balls before. Not sure if they swing a lot though.

they have to be close....but go to google images and search both "wiffle ball" and "wiffle bat" to get an idea...the holes on a wiffle ball make it act, im assuming much like the rough side of a cricket ball. Just like a cricket ball swings toward the rough side, a wiffle ball swings towards the holes. I used to use swing a lot...but just this week, i finally perfected my leg break...which i was really happy about. And actually...if anybody could suggest a good online retailer of plastic cricket bats I'd appreciate it, because i could sorely use one. It doesnt have to be anything really special, just something thats a bit more realistic would be nice.

-SMike

Users who are viewing this thread