Sign-ups International Cricket - Challenges throughout History

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
I came up with this idea while working on a 1991/2 and onwards cricket history in my other Story/League.

The idea is I get 10 managers, 1 for each current Test nation (barring Ireland and Afghanistan).
Managers will be responsible for picking squads and XIs for each series or match.

Those managers will then organise series amongst themselves at different points in their nation's Test history.

I will then sim the matches using your chosen squads and XI's using Owzat Games International Cricket and IC Helper.

For example, the Pakistan manager in this League/Story might want to challenge the current 2017 Indian lineup with his current 2017 Pakistan lineup to a 6 Test series in Pakistan.

Or, the New Zealand manager might get sick of losing to Australia in Tests and wish to challenge them in 1986 when they had Hadlee at his peak.

Cross era series are also possible, for example the Bangladesh manager may wish to challenge the 1981/2 Sri Lankans, or 1992/3 Zimbabweans with his 2000/1 Bangladesh side in the battle of the Test newcomers in their years of Test debut.

Anything is possible, I just need 10 managers.

Am thinking anyone with interest in seeing how older players of all eras perform in different situations will have fun with this.

I can help provide squad information with Test caps, Averages, and Bests for those with limited knowledge of older squads.

As soon as at least 2 sign up we can start organising series.

The rule is if you sign up as manager of a nation, you control all of it's teams throughout history, is your choice what era of team you play with at any given time.
If you want to challenge someone's alltime great team you can try that too, and it is up to you who is in your alltime great XI.
Or you might just generally want 90's Australia, or 80's West Indies, and restrict yourself to the best 18 or so players from that decade for a series.
Totally up to managers.
All that I will ask is that you be aware that some recent Test debutants are not yet carded, so playing 2017 series with accurate current lineups might not always be possible (just check with me on player availability if you really want to use a 2017 team, not having a certain player might make you want to choose a different era instead).

I will run a dedicated blog on blogspot featuring match previews, match reports, scorecards, stats, news and photos linked to this thread to better display the relevent scorecards and information.
I find it impossible to copy and paste the scorecards to the Planet Cricket forum, and most people find it simple enough to click on the link to the blog to view the scorecards and photos.

For now, just state your interest, and which team throughout history you would like to control.
I will list managers as they sign up below.
I will start to help organise challenges and series between managers once at least two sign up.
I think managers should be able to challenge up to two opponents at any one time, and therefore have two series running if they choose, to allow teams more freedom in choosing opponents.

Australia -
Bangladesh -
England - redmosquito
India - Nitrogen
New Zealand -
Pakistan - CerealKiller
South Africa -
Sri Lanka -
West Indies -
Zimbabwe -

Last edited:

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Australia -
Bangladesh -
England -
India -
New Zealand -
Pakistan - CerealKiller
South Africa -
Sri Lanka -
West Indies -
Zimbabwe -

C

Chris Swift

Australia -
Bangladesh -
England - redmosquito
India -
New Zealand -
Pakistan - CerealKiller
South Africa -
Sri Lanka -
West Indies -
Zimbabwe -

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
@redmosquito

You want to try a short series v Pakistan to kick things off if CerealKiller agrees?

Could do a pretty good replay of the 2016 series in England with your own selections with the carded players I have, 2017 might be more difficult.
Other than that, any era prior to 2016 will work.

Or you might prefer to wait for an Indian manager to sign up to challenge him.

I think up to two current challenges is manageable because it gives people a bit of freedom to choose opponents instead of always first waiting for the current series to end.

Last edited:
C

Chris Swift

@redmosquito

You want to try a short series v Pakistan to kick things off if CerealKiller agrees?

Could do a pretty good replay of the 2016 series in England with your own selections with the carded players I have, 2017 might be more difficult.
Other than that, any era prior to 2016 will work.

Or you might prefer to wait for an Indian manager to sign up to challenge him.

I think up to two current challenges is manageable because it gives people a bit of freedom to choose opponents instead of always first waiting for the current series to end.

I'm happy to go with whatever you can setup.

Nitrogen

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Australia -
Bangladesh -
England - redmosquito
India -Nitrogen
New Zealand -
Pakistan - CerealKiller
South Africa -
Sri Lanka -
West Indies -
Zimbabwe -

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
From the teams who signed up so far, a couple of matchups I like using those teams are:

India v England in India 1984/5...England 2-1...England without Botham and Gooch upset the World Cup holders
India v Pakistan in India 1986/7...Pakistan win 1-0...Qasim and Tauseef win the final Test for Pakistan on a minefield after a succession of boring draws
Pakistan v England in Pakistan 2000/1..England win 1-0...Pakistan lose in Karachi for the first time ever to hand England the series

The away team won all those series, which made them memorable for me.

Other matchups between those teams with different home team:

England v India in England 1986...India win 2-0...India reverse the home series defeat with a win in England
England v Pakistan in England 1987...Pakistan win 1-0...Imran leads Pakistan to their first series win in England
Pakistan v India in Pakistan 1978...Pakistan win 2-0...can India's 4 great spinners Bedi, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar and Venkataraghavan reverse history and deliver India a rare away win

Totally up to managers to decide on their own matchups, you may prefer current teams, or older, up to you.

Last edited:

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Hope managers who have signed up don't mind, but I will wait for at least 6 teams to be taken before I organise some matches.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
@redmosquito

Don't know if you want to try your hand managing Zimbabwe or South Africa in 1991/2 over in my other league, both teams still require managers and have Test series about to begin.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I may not be reliably active, but please can I take Australia?

Hopefully people are ready for some 19th Century Test cricket

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
@Aislabie

Thanks, will mark you down, activity is not so important, am planning this league to be more casual and slower paced than others due to being busy in my 1991/2 league with others.

I don't have many cards for 19th Century Test cricketers, but I did manage to put together two XIs to represent England and Australia in 1876 using Test players from 1876 to 1880 at at First Class level at the time.
Unfortunately I don't have enough cards for exact lineups, so you will mostly be restricted to say 15 players who played at least 6 Tests in a 5 year period.
The maker carded pretty much every player who played at least 6 Tests prior to 1989, since then most one test players making their debuts post 1989 have been carded in each year's card updates.
Australian XI at the time still has most of your favourites, but not the Bannerman who made the 160 in the first Test ever, he didn't play enough Tests unfortunately, only his brother.
Is still enjoyable, the scores and run rates are lower in that era, and you will play against W.G.Grace and others.
Aus team has F.R.Spofforth as their main bowler at that time, and mostly a seam attack, while England has stronger batsmen and some good spinners.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread