Inzamam cleared of ball tampering charge

Well Hair has to be punished in some form, he made a major screw up and I feel Pakistan could take this case to the courts if no action is taken against Hair.

I don't know. We've still not been told whether Hair actually saw something or whether he just looked at the ball and decided it had been tampered with. If the latter then he should definitely be disciplined.
That said he's a liability to the ICC now anyway as India and Pakistan are refusing to have him umpire their tests.

Just not enough proof to back up Hair, I don't think he would stand a chance in court. Hair should retire or the ICC should sack him hes of no use to the ICC now as all teams will question a decision he makes especially if it's to do with tampering.

barmyarmy said:
We've still not been told whether Hair actually saw something or whether he just looked at the ball and decided it had been tampered with.
And the ICC are hoping that nobody asks :p

The fact that Doctrove initially did not want to change the ball tells me that maybe Hair was just going by the nature of the scratch. Of course that's just an assumption on my part.

aussie1st said:
Well Hair has to be punished in some form, he made a major screw up and I feel Pakistan could take this case to the courts if no action is taken against Hair.
Apparently the PCB are considering bringing disrepute charges against Hair, but nothing's been written in stone yet. Hopefully the ICC will deal with Hair so the PCB don't have to, otherwise the situation could get uglier.

If Hair will be sacked, it won't change a thing in the cricketing world, since umpires can be replaced. If Hair stays, everybody will be cautious whether which decision he takes like for an example a LBW or caught behind, since the trust in him isn't that great anymore.

Finally we see a sensible decision by the ICC. The 4 match ban seems fair to me and I hope this whole issue is finally over. The ICC has conceded that Hair was wrong and there should be some penalty to Hair because he provoked the situation. I agree he shouldn't get the sack but it is most likely in his best interest that he does not umpire any games in the sub continent. Perhaps his permanent role now is to umpire in NZ, SAF, AUS and ENG now.

I just want hair to say sorry to Me = Pakistani fan!

I actually want to see Pakistan press for some sort of legal action against Hair. I'm not sure what they have to play with, though. Having Hair officiate only in non-subcontinent matches sends out two incorrect signals: (1) the ICC can be pushed around by national cricket boards and (2) the ICC accept that Hair made a mistake, but still want him to stay.

Well atleast there is an end to this Pakistan-Hair saga. It's about time! It's nice to see Inzamam wasn't punished for the ball tampering allegations.

kodos said:
Finally we see a sensible decision by the ICC. The 4 match ban seems fair to me and I hope this whole issue is finally over. The ICC has conceded that Hair was wrong and there should be some penalty to Hair because he provoked the situation. I agree he shouldn't get the sack but it is most likely in his best interest that he does not umpire any games in the sub continent. Perhaps his permanent role now is to umpire in NZ, SAF, AUS and ENG now.

He can't umpire in tests involving Aus.

It's just a no win situation with Hair sticking around. As mentioned if Hair doesn't umpire on the sub continent then it will look like the ICC is backing down, if he does umpire there the fans will be causing major problems for him and he won't have the respect of the Pakistanis.

Users who are viewing this thread