Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
16904986.th.png

TEAM DISCUSSION THREAD
Current World Ranking positions:
:ire: ICC Test Championship - Not eligible
:ire: ICC ODI Championship - 10th place (of 12) (Rating: 50)
:ire: ICC T20 Championship - Not ranked (Rating: 84)
as of 21/05/15
Upcoming international assignments:
ICC Intercontinental Cup (Next fixture vs UAE)
Ireland v Scotland T20I Series (at Bready)
World Twenty20 Qualifier (Ireland & Scotland)
2015 Domestic Competitions
Interprovincial Championship (Holders: Leinster)
Interprovincial Cup (Holders: Leinster)
Interprovincial T20 Trophy (Holders: North West)

Last edited by a moderator:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
looks like a group they could have a realistic chance of getting out of - you'd make them favourites over UAE and Zimbabwe, and with a fair wind could turn over either or both of WI and Pakistan

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
It's probably also absolutely essential for them to do that, being able to defeat those sides is going to be about the only way they can start pushing their case for getting enough ODIs to start moving up the rankings - ideally to get into 8th or higher to get automatic qualification for the 2019 World Cup.

I'd predict them winning the three matches, against WI, UAE and Zimbabwe - and be able to keep a close enough handle on Pakistan and India to not blow out the net run rate.

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Pakistan are awful. They're playing four bowlers in an ODI side, which is very dangerous. You'd think that would mean they are batting heavy, but I don't think there's anyone in the top 7 that Ireland should fear.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
^None of you three seem to be giving Zimbabwe any chance of causing an upset in this group I see.

I've got them down to beat both UAE and Ireland plus either Pakistan or West Indies.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
ideally to get into 8th or higher to get automatic qualification for the 2019 World Cup.

it doesn't work that way - its explicitly the top 8 full members that get automatic qualification.

Why? God only knows, but its designed to make 100% sure the eight members that automatically qualify for the world cup in the future. I could rant all day about the ways that the ICC seem more interested in short-term financial games rather than growing the game - ten-nation World Cups from 2019, the silly group structure that they're set on using for future World T20s that don't let all of the associates play against full members, even stopping negotiations with the ICC about cricket in the Olympics when larger full members complained about "losing money!!!" even though that would do more for developing lower level cricket than anything else (I read a story somewhere about some random country - somewhere that you wouldn't think of being a cricket nation - saying that cricket being in the olympics would have given them a bunch of extra money (think it was over a million Euros, don't quote me) which would have dwarfed the money that they get from the ICC. The World Cup qualifying structures is just one thing in a very lengthy list.

I hope the Associates (and also Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, since they haven't been treated as equals by other full members) embarrass as many countries as they can this year to send a message about the new World Cup structure being silly.

PokerAce

Banned
I still remember O'Brian's knock against England which was the fastest 100 in a WC, at the time, probably still is. Look forward to seeing him play in the WC.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Although why it couldn't be "the top eight in the ODI rankings" I don't know - they've practically done it that way (unless Scotland win every single game or something) but they've decided to exclude a few ODI nations for no real reason.
Isn't that the Champions Trophy? Two extra teams = "world"

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The warmups are not looking good for Ireland - just crumbling against Scotland. I suppose the only comfort would be that the West Indies seem to be starting things even worse, so maybe that first match can get them in form here.

I really want to see the associates do well at this World Cup and would hate to see Ireland's run of success start to end just as there's finally the slight chance of making it to test cricket.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
To be fair, they're just warm-ups and they'll show up on the day, they're like NZ in the 80's in that respect. I fully expect them to qualify ahead of West Indies and Zimbabwe. I actually picked Afghanistan to win a game against West Indies in a work tips thing... heh. But yeah, Ireland will be fine. Not the best team they've had but I reckon they'll swing through to the quarter finals easy enough.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Ireland shouldn't be too downhearted having lost to the team that will dominate the World Cup.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Ireland have never really recovered from the shellacking Netherlands gave them at the world T20.

It's probably also absolutely essential for them to do that, being able to defeat those sides is going to be about the only way they can start pushing their case for getting enough ODIs to start moving up the rankings - ideally to get into 8th or higher to get automatic qualification for the 2019 World Cup.

I'd predict them winning the three matches, against WI, UAE and Zimbabwe - and be able to keep a close enough handle on Pakistan and India to not blow out the net run rate.

i'd be hopeful they can beat Pakistan if all goes well.

it doesn't work that way - its explicitly the top 8 full members that get automatic qualification.

Why? God only knows, but its designed to make 100% sure the eight members that automatically qualify for the world cup in the future. I could rant all day about the ways that the ICC seem more interested in short-term financial games rather than growing the game

the bizarre thing is that the ICC's constitution is explicit that their main priority is to protect the interests of its full members. anything else - playing numbers across the world, growing the game in associates or affiliates - is secondary to that.

When I make my billions, as I assuredly will, one of the things I will do is bring down the ICC.

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
great way to start the world cup Ireland...:thumbs they are one consistent associate team, which beat test playing teams in all 3 world cup they participated... and thanks to Gayle for showing respect to Irish bowlers by scoring 36 from 65 balls...

Users who are viewing this thread