Is team Sri Lanka running out of talent?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Former Sri Lankan wicketkeeper Romesh Kaluwitharana fears his country is heading for a cricket talent drought and has called for developing a strong second string team.

Kaluwitharana's observation comes soon after similar apprehensions were expressed by former captain Arjuna Ranatunga.

"There could be a possible scarcity of players in the next three or four years, after players like Chaminda Vaas and Muralitharan retire", the 37-year-old, a member of the 1996 World Cup winning team, said.

Kaluwitharan and Sanath Jayasuriya, now retired from Test cricket, had formed one of the most feared opening pairs in one-day internationals.

"The team needs a second string, which could win games", he said on Monday.

http://cricket.expressindia.com/news/Is-team-Sri-Lanka-running-out-of-talent/249064/

All comes down to money and greed from the ICC giving India and Australia and England the right to play heaps and heaps of games and make money as it makes them money. Hence they can develop their cricket programs. They dont care about the minnow poorer nations who dont get as much exposure because the ICC makes no money from it. The gap widens and the smaller cricket nations quality goes down the toilet.

Don't know.. I know nothing about the domestic scene in Sri Lanka which is what is depends on.

All comes down to money and greed from the ICC giving India and Australia and England the right to play heaps and heaps of games and make money as it makes them money. Hence they can develop their cricket programs. They dont care about the minnow poorer nations who dont get as much exposure because the ICC makes no money from it. The gap widens and the smaller cricket nations quality goes down the toilet.

so true. more money is needed for Sri lankan cricket to develop players.

What about Sangakkara? Jayawardena? Malinga? Fernando? I think this side has been pretty well balanced with youth, experience, and talent.

What about Sangakkara? Jayawardena? Malinga? Fernando? I think this side has been pretty well balanced with youth, experience, and talent.

i think that he was talking about younger kids, 16-17-18.

First up,i think it is highly stupid of Kalu and Ranatunga to make such statements.

the right to play heaps and heaps of games and make money as it makes them money.

Hence they can develop their cricket programs. They dont care about the minnow poorer nations who dont get as much exposure because the ICC makes no money from it. The gap widens and the smaller cricket nations quality goes down the toilet.

Sri Lanka is not a minnow !

The right to make money ?
I think its just superb marketing by the individual boards that gets them this kind of money.

so true. more money is needed for Sri lankan cricket to develop players.

The SLC is pretty bad in administration.
They have had problems with their Head in the recent past.

Don't know.. I know nothing about the domestic scene in Sri Lanka which is what is depends on.

This may help. I think it is a perfect idea. A small country needs just five teams to equally distribute talent in a high level of competition.

When you're selecting someone like Jehan Mubarak as a batsman in the side then you know you've got problems...

Indeed. I have never understood the international selection of any batsman who averages under 30 in domestic cricket.

Last edited:
First up,i think it is highly stupid of Kalu and Ranatunga to make such statements.

Sri Lanka is not a minnow !

The right to make money ?
I think its just superb marketing by the individual boards that gets them this kind of money.

The SLC is pretty bad in administration.
They have had problems with their Head in the recent past.

Arjuna isn't a stupid but one of the greatest cricket captains
problem is with adminstration of SL cricket
bcoz of political enforcement and money(personal and religious grudge too)
good players are out of team and some less talented players are given more and more chances.
Marvan Atapattu had to retire bcoz some personal revenge.
And Arjuna is the person who brought players like Marvan,Mahela,Sangakkara...etc SL cricket team and he took initiative to promote Sanath Jayasuriya to open da inns.
But Arjuna was not made head of da BCCSL while a man who may not b able to handle da bat was made da chief.
I think this is da case with PAK team too(My favourite along with SL)

When you're selecting someone like Jehan Mubarak as a batsman in the side then you know you've got problems...

He is selected bcoz money and political enforcements.
(pple very close to BCCSL say that da board get money to put less talented players into a touring squad)

Last edited:
Arjuna isn't a stupid but one of the greatest cricket captains
problem is with adminstration of SL cricket
bcoz of political enforcement and money(personal and religious grudge too)
good players are out of team and some less talented players are given more and more chances.
Marvan Atapattu had to retire bcoz some personal revenge.
And Arjuna is the person who brought players like Marvan,Mahela,Sangakkara...etc SL cricket team and he took initiative to promote Sanath Jayasuriya to open da inns.
But Arjuna was not made head of da BCCSL while a man who may not b able to handle da bat was made da chief.
I think this is da case with PAK team too(My favourite along with SL)

Read my post again-it says that the problem lies in the administartion.

Also,i mention that It is stupid of Arjuna to make such statements
It does not,in any which way imply that Arjuna is stupid.
:mad

Let me put it this way: the average age of Sri Lanka's "youngsters" who make it into the national side make me feel that they are really very scared of showing their bench-strength to the opposition.

Users who are viewing this thread