John Dyson is the new West Indies coach!

John Dyson I believe set the precedent on which Tom Moody worked on to move the side forward and into the form that they had in the World cup in 2007.

June 2003 - May 2005
ODIs: 24-0-12
Tests: 5-6-7

Comparison: Tom Moody
June 2005 - April 2007
ODIs: 36-0-24
Tests: 10-3-5

You have to forgive Dyson's 5 Tests against Australia, the more recent of which where they uncovered Lasith Malinga in the winter series in Darwin and Cairns (we should do those more often). Malinga was instrumental in increased consistency from Sri Lanka. The fitness of Dilhara Fernando was also very important from 2006 onwards, as Sri Lanka could then field 3 genuine pacemen of high skill. Dyson and Moody are both fielding experts and they both initiated improvements in that area. It's very arguable that Dyson didn't have long enough, but it seems as though foreign coaches don't tend to spend more than a couple of years with Sri Lanka. Of course, with Sri Lanka having reached the semi final of the 2003 World Cup under Whatmore, it's clear that no recent Sri Lankan coach has been cursed with a useless team.

I think Dyson will be a good influence for the West Indies, but they don't simply need a coach with the right message; they need someone who knows how to deliver it. Bigger problems still remain in Caribbean cricket, so working hard with all the players, particularly the young players, will be essential. The players will have to welcome change for it to be effective.

He has alot to work with and alot to work on. There is allot of potential in the West Indies some good up and coming players, both bowlers and batsman that can become some of the top players in the game if they are coached correctly.

Players like Taylor, Bravo, Pollard, Edwards, Sammy, Ramdin are all great potentials and its gona be interesting how they develop under Dyson.

On the other side there alot of things that need improving in the West Indies organizations. The academys need to improve and the atitude of some players needs to change. I think that work ethic is a problem in West Indies cricket and hes gona need to change that.

The work ethic is a big point, but I think that's part of what I meant about 'bigger problems'. Many of these players are clearly making it through to the top underdone. Much of the reason Australia does so well is that good players are always given support; it's a much harder task to take an talented 23 year old and imbue good habits in him. The basics need to be present at grass-roots level, or as you say, the academies need to work harder.

Whatmore is working in India as a chairman of National Cricket Academy.

I would've gone with Whatmore, if he was available.
I'm not sure if the Sirils were at their best during 03-05, either. They beat India at home alot but everywhere else they seemed to be crap, from what I remember. Their WC was a horrible experience and the Natwest series before that (without Murali) was a failure too.

So we have missed John Dyson now?

Are we going to appoint any coach at all for the Indian team (sorry for deviating but John Dyson was linked with the india job too).

So we have missed John Dyson now?

Are we going to appoint any coach at all for the Indian team (sorry for deviating but John Dyson was linked with the india job too).
Whatever India are not doing, they need to keep not doing it until it stops not failing.

Users who are viewing this thread