Kim Jong Il is dead

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I thought he had already basically been replaced. North Korea may not be able to feed people but they have a seriously large army.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
it's a bit hard what to make of this, as most of the vague rhetoric in the press indicates. you can't invade them, for lots of reasons but primarily because they line the border with missiles constantly pointed at Seoul and have said that regardless of who is doing the invading they would respond by flattening it. but beyond that no one really knows very much about what goes on there.

the out pouring of sympathy is probably a mixture of genuine grief, public show in case too muted a response will warrant punishment and just general worry about where the country is going. but to what degrees no one can be sure.

I do worry that some leaders are going to try an exert a lot of pressure on his son, who is probably too young to really handle everything and may not have the connections with in the upper echelons to control everything and could well act eratically if pushed too far.

there is no real pattern to these things. when franco died in spain it was a day later that the country begain to move towards democracy, whereas lenin handed over to stalin who was a much fiercer despot.

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Of course the change has to come from inside. I don't know much (sure that very few do) about how the political administration is actually carried out in North Korea in the deep sense, but if I am to predict the 'ability' of Kim Jong un to keep any revolution down from his visage, he definitely can be overcome.

Last edited:

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Good ridance. The man is clinically insane. Regardless of how good he is at Golf.

Hundreds of thousands of people are alleged to have suffered under his dictatorship. The worry now is whether someone more twisted than him has been waiting for this day. Hopefully it is the opposite.

P

pcfan123

Haaro!

kim-jong-il-in-team-america-tm.jpg

Good riddance

King Cricket

International Coach
I hope his death does not plunge the peninsula into fresh crisis. I can see the military concentrating more power into its hands now that there is a political vacuum and an inadequately groomed, politically inexperienced son at the helm of affairs.

'Internal change' is not possible either. The country is too secluded and its inhabitants are too brainwashed and/or terrorized by the machineries of the totalitarian regime to rise up against their leader.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
If anything he's probably chilling out with Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin, and various other dictators. Did I say chilling? I meant boiling of course. Hell is hot. We've all seen cartoons.

Users who are viewing this thread