LBW

douglas93

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can anyone help/advise, I keep getting trapped LBW. I start before the ball is bowled with the legs out of the way of the stumps but the movement of the batsman often seems to take him in front of the stumps, if I move him too far from the stumps and try and play defensive it seems to equal an edge. Im ok against the weaker bowlers but against a decent quick its just a case of surviving! I seem to play 2 / 3 decent blocks then one just seems to get through even though I feel I have played the same defensive block. So many appeals ! I seem to get one every 2 overs. Am I playing the shot too early or late? Anyone else finding this?

wildclaws

School Cricketer
I find attack is much more forgiving than defence, sadly - perhaps you'd be better off taking the ball on. Blocking seems very easy to mis-time and then be out lbw.

Scrogs

Banned
I hardly ever block straight balls. More for psychological reasons rather than gameplay reasons!!! I reckon it is mentally more acceptable being given out LBW playing an attacking straight drive rather than having the angst of getting out LBW trying to defend. I rarely use the defend/block modifier....and NEVER use the duck/leave ball modifiers......cos there is no point....you don't lose anything by being hit.

ellgieff

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I hardly ever block straight balls. More for psychological reasons rather than gameplay reasons!!! I reckon it is mentally more acceptable being given out LBW playing an attacking straight drive rather than having the angst of getting out LBW trying to defend. I rarely use the defend/block modifier....and NEVER use the duck/leave ball modifiers......cos there is no point....you don't lose anything by being hit.

You do lose confidence (and the bowler gains some) when you get hit. Confidence matters.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I find attack is much more forgiving than defence, sadly - perhaps you'd be better off taking the ball on. Blocking seems very easy to mis-time and then be out lbw.

I noticed this during part 2 of my career series. The risk of being caught or trapped LBW appears to be about the same whether you are trying to score or trying to defend. For this reason I never ever play defensively because its better to score runs and then get out, than try and block it then get out having scored nothing.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
My main problem with lbs is slower deliveries. When you're geared up to hit the RS only fractionally after the ball leaves the hand, there just isn't much info about ball speed to work with. You don't necessarily need to premeditate your whole shot in DBC but you basically have to premeditate the timing of it, and you can't correct once the RS is pressed so slower balls at the stumps are just sucker punches.

I reckon if the ai bowled nothing but 90mph / 70mph deliveries straight at the stumps I'd barely make a run.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
My main problem with lbs is slower deliveries. When you're geared up to hit the RS only fractionally after the ball leaves the hand, there just isn't much info about ball speed to work with. You don't necessarily need to premeditate your whole shot in DBC but you basically have to premeditate the timing of it, and you can't correct once the RS is pressed so slower balls at the stumps are just sucker punches.

I reckon if the ai bowled nothing but 90mph / 70mph deliveries straight at the stumps I'd barely make a run.

That's why the difference between the fastest and slowest deliveries by bowlers in the game needs to be reduced quite a bit. In real life you get plenty of cues to see if it's a slower ball and can adjust accordingly. But in a video game you can't perceive the change in pace all that well and have to play a shot at a specific time. That's why you get dismissed so many times by loopy half trackers by pacers which in real life would be easy to hammer away. There are already so many ways to get dismissed in the game that getting undone by a slower one does feel like a cheap shot. Once again requesting Ross and @HBK619 to reduce the difference between fastest and slowest deliveries as I can still bowl a delivery with a high speed of 151.2 kph and lowest of 100 kph as a fast bowler.

The difference between the fastest and slowest deliveries has to be within a 15 kph range as that's decent enough to mess up the timing but not get you dismissed every other innings, which is how it is in real cricket, i.e. you don't see too many dismissals off slower deliveries. Also, there needs to be a tweak where you mess up the timing of the delivery deliberately, i.e. too early in the jump leads to a crappy delivery which is easy to hit (maybe make the timing window against such a delivery bigger) rather than a super slow delivery which helps the bowler more than the batsman.

Users who are viewing this thread