Legends in the making

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
With players like Ponting, Tendulkar, Dravid, Kallis - 4 BIG names of international cricket hanging their boots in no time, one can't help but wonder, can they be replaced? Perhaps 'replaced' isn't the right word to use here, they may not be playing cricket anymore or in Kallis' case test cricket at least, but these 4 surely left behind a trace for others to follow.

Each of these players had their own style, their own way of looking at the game, their own unique personas. I'm talking about last 2 years in general here, if we consider the last 5-6 years, there have been many greats that have retired from cricket. We may see them occasionally making appearance in t20 leagues of respective countries but they're definitely not playing 'serious' cricket.

So then the main question - who are the next gen greats? A few names that immediately pop into the mind are ; Kohli, Pujara, Root (arguably, he's just 22 though), Ben stokes (solid ashes performance), Alistair Cook whose already a great with 27 centuries to his name and he's still not 30. So many more in fact... I'm just apprehending a general idea though In the coming decade, there are many players to look out for. Country wise, stat wise, age wise - a lot of parameters to judge them upon. What are your views?

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye certainly Kohli & Pujara. Cook might break a few ENG run scoring records -but i'm not sure if he will be a great.

I reckon Sakib has a good chance of one day being recognized as one of the greatest spin bowling all-rounders in history.

Ben Stokes, Corey Anderson, James Faulkner Andre Russell, Ryan McClaren, A Mathews - could be big international all-rounders.

Quinton De Kock - could be the next generation's premier batsman/keeper.

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The legends in making are Kohli,Pujara & Quinton De Kock.The 1st one has already broken many records the next two have great potentials in them to become future legends.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
Probably Kohli & Pujara. Joe Root is a responsible batsman. Where all youngsters of this generation are busy with establishing their place in national team, Joe Root is just showing opposite potential. He plays with his own unique style and always prefer to play natural game. Pujara & Root had survived their team from many critical conditional innings. Pujara and Root can be the future's Mr. dependable.
Quinton de Kock is just 20 year old. I would call him greatest youngster but not a future legend at this stage. He need to migrate in all test playing nations, need to play at least one tour there then only we can predict about him. I haven't yet seen him playing against top class fast bowling and against spinners on turning track.
Alastair Cook is a test legend. He hasn't done anything great in ODIs and I don't remember him sparking an ODI match by his awesome play. There maybe one or two but not many. But if it about test cricket then we don't need think that hard before calling him a legend.
I just can't see any consistent youth bowlers around International cricket. Ben Stokes, Steven Finn, Starc(?), Pattinson can be. Their form just keeps up & down cycle. If any one of them could balance their form for 2/3 years by now then probably they would be loved as a legend.

----------

The legends in making are Kohli,Pujara & Quinton De Kock.The 1st one has already broken many records the next two have great potentials in them to become future legends.

He already became a legend.

Last edited:

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Sangakkara is probably the guy with the biggest rep still playing but legend of the game... tough one to call. certainly the next big batting retirement you'd think. chanderpaul and jayawardene and an official announcement from sehwag will be big news too.

Amla, de villiers and clarke are closest to it, they're the only ones that have dominated for sustained periods right now.

Kohli is pretty much assured some form of reputation on the back of his ODI record, and pujara has got very imperious very quickly. Chandimal maybe?

it requires a degree of media adulation and favour mind. sangakkara is rarely mentioned in the breath of the guys you named but I reckon is about as good. kallis too has just sort of willed himself there as for a long time he was never regarded equal to lara, saching or ponting.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Good to see that Kohli and Pujara are topping the list of many for the next gen batting greats. Hope India can find one or two more to add to that list, and we would have the new gen Fab 3 or Fab 4. Ajinkya Rahane can definitely be a contender if he keeps up his recent SA performances.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Ajinkya Rahane can definitely be a contender if he keeps up his recent SA performances.

Yeah, was very much impressed as well on how Rahane utilized his SA tour chances. This guy really needs to be given a power punch on his shoulders & to be considered in all the tours atleast for a while to see how he goes in continuous runs. It is too early to call him a contender at this point, as all he has done was to climb 2 steps ahead in his very first step. Who ever thought that players like Viru & Yuvi will have such a misfortune fall after the promising climb of ladders of legends.

Kohli & Pujara - Definitely in right position at this stage to be called as 'replacement' and I strongly believe they would replace Tendulkar & Dravid at some point in their career. Still, would wait to see how they are after 3-5 years from now and they would reach those heights if they continue to be on the same right track.

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
In Australia, we have quite a few decent young batsmen but none who scream out 'legend'. Jake Doran, a 16-year-old from NSW is probably the best 'childhood prodigy' in the country. I am yet to see him play however from what I've heard he's good enough to be playing shield cricket. He keeps too.

Of those currently playing first-class cricket, I'd rate Nic Maddinson and Joe Burns as our best upcoming batsmen, but I wouldn't say they're legends in the making. Phil Hughes could still make a great international player. David Warner has the potential. With most of our young batsmen it's hard to tell at this stage.

I see numerous pace bowlers with the potential to be great though. We aren't stretched in that department.

Users who are viewing this thread