Looking Ahead - India's tour of South Africa 2013-2014

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Basically all this spurred about after I heard this podcast/discussion on Cricinfo about the future of Indian cricket, the 2013 tour of South Africa and how it should be our ultimate goal, to kerplucking win a Test series in South Africa.

So here we are, late 2013, South Africa, the #1 Test team in the world might I add, vs India? The team that took absolute maulings from England and Australia in their last 2 overseas tours and then tried to play it off as an 'accident'? That they did, but the thing is most great teams seem to come out of the lows and most great teams admit where they've went wrong and look to correct them. This is where I have a problem with the 'Indian way', they've done nothing, absolutely nothing in terms of personnel changes, it's basically the same guys in the same team looking real strong at home. In this regard I'm kind of happy both Dravid and Laxman took a call and retired, because if they didn't, not a single change would've been made to the side that got annihilated in England and Australia.

So what do you guys think, have India done enough to at least put up a fight? If not, what changes need to be made? Who would you bring into the side or who would you show the door to? Do we need a new captain, a new leader? A new coach perhaps? Discuss away!

India Cricket Features: Time Out: 'Preserve Tendulkar and Zaheer for South Africa 2013' | ESPN Cricinfo

----------

And yes, I do understand that it's a year away and a lot of things can happen in this years time, but hey, who gives a kerpluck, let's talk.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
From an outside perspective, i think those guys have made perfect sense.

Like why is Tendulkar and Zaheer playing ODI/T20 cricket still?. I know Tendy is legend, but really the selectors should have been able to tell him that after the 2011 world cup, they want to preserve him for tests only.

As Manjrekar said, 2013 is a big tour and its pretty unimaginable India going to S Africa without Tendy even though he will be closing in on age 41.

Also as they said, if Dravid and Laxman hadn't retired it seems very likely they may have been picked for the current series vs NZ.

The Gambhir/Sehwag opening pair totally needs changing too. I couldn't image an Aussie or English opening pair looking so out of their depth vs quality pace in testing conditions in 8 overseas tests and still continued to be picked.

What those guys say is true. India potentially doing well at home vs NZ, ENG, AUS (although i don't think its a foregone conclusion vs ENG and AUS just yet).

That will just paper over cracks going into the 2013 S Africa tour and India as the case was in the 90s will just be viewed as tigers @ home and pussycats away.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
It does not make any sense to me. If Tendulkar and Zaheer need to be there till SAF 2013, thats like making them play the next World Cup as well.

The SAF tour is in Dec 13-Jan 14 and knowing that the Next World Cup is in Australia, it will be held in Jan15-Feb15.

Personally, I do consider Tendulkar and Zak as a liability on the team even now. Till 2013 December, them hanging around will be grossly stupid.

S

Satan666

Maybe I read the posts above me wrong, Sachin shouldnt be there but Zaheer is the best pace bowler the Indians have had since Srinath, no other has come to the fore, maybe Ishant only, if India are to put up any fight they need a fit Zaheer.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
India v New Zealand, 2nd Test, Bangalore, 2nd day : India v New Zealand: Sehwag and Gambhir's loss of form a worry for India | Cricket Features | India v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

Gautam Gambhir
f2fd59babd6b4dd29d1f8d5.png

Virender Sehwag
3225116df00b4b828ce9379.png

Below par is the word.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Apart from Pujara and Kohli,no one else seems to be in form. Not even Sachin. He is getting bowled far too often these days.:noway

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^The numbers look good because he had a good 2010. Is that really relevant right now?

If you take his stats starting from the tour of England last year:
13 Tests, 814 runs @ 35.39, ZERO 100s, 6 50s

His average in ODIs since that time is only 31.50 as well.

The man is a god so he deserves a bit of slack :p but he's getting towards 40, not the time you want to start losing your touch...

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I think it's time for Sachin to go. Yes he has been absolute legend for India cricket but I think he should realize that his time is done now and he should make way for another youngster in the team. I am not too sure about Zaheer though. I think he can still go on that SA tour if he is managed well by selectors. I know it will be hard for India to go on SA tour without Sachin but we can't do any worst then what we did on last 2 overseas tour. So I think we should definitely bring someone like Rahane or Badrinath in the team. I don't think Raina is a test option for India. Rahane will be a better choice for test. I still think Badrinath can contribute at least 4 years to Indian cricket. We should definitely try him and if he gets successful he has to be in the team.

I don't know what to say about Sehwag. He has been absolute flop overseas in last 3 or 4 years. Same problem with Gambhir but that guy is a fighter and I think he has potential to do well overseas.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I think tendulkar is ok until india sort out the position Raina was at against new zealand. it would be a bit mad to force him out when they're still cycling through batsmen at 6. if he's not the worst batsman in the team he's not first for the chop imo.

he should however, drop down to 5 like ponting did, kohli's apprenticeship is over and he should be playing at 3 or 4.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Badrinath should certainly be in the indian test middle order. Its crazy that Raina could be recalled after he looked so abysmal in England last year.

I'm starting to believe my asian friends who regularly tell me that Raina is a Dhoni favourite.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Badrinath should certainly be in the indian test middle order. Its crazy that Raina could be recalled after he looked so abysmal in England last year.

I'm starting to believe my asian friends who regularly tell me that Raina is a Dhoni favourite.

Yes Badrinath is a must in the middle order. I don't know how Raina gets into the test side. Yes it is true that Raina does look like Dhoni's favorite but another reason can be the amount of experience Raina has at International level, Badrinath is lacking that. I am not sure what the reason is but I do know that he shouldn't be in the team and Badrinath should come at his place.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Pujara is fine at 3. I am also okay wiht Virat batting where he is currently. After Tendulkar is gone, one can expect Sehwag at 4, with Rahane at the top.

Regd Raina, he does not deserve a Test cap and it will be horrible if he were to be persisted with in this format. I'd rather see a Badri or a M.Kaif donning that role for at least 4-5 years.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yes Badrinath is a must in the middle order. I don't know how Raina gets into the test side. Yes it is true that Raina does look like Dhoni's favorite but another reason can be the amount of experience Raina has at International level, Badrinath is lacking that. I am not sure what the reason is but I do know that he shouldn't be in the team and Badrinath should come at his place.

Well it's obvious that Raina is a talented player, and the selectors/Dhoni rate him highly as a future player (like Rohit Sharma). It's also obvious that Raina got worked over in England. But then again, how long should that series be a black mark against his name for? He did well against SL in the ODIs immediately before this current NZ series, so given his talent, why not pick him when he is in form? Instead everyone's clambering for Rahane who failed hard against West Indies 'A' in June. I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here, but at least I can see why Raina is getting a run.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
ODI performances shouldn't result in Test chances though...

Users who are viewing this thread