Malinga retires from test cricket.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
"Although I am sufficiently fit to play both ODI and T20 cricket, I have a long-standing degenerative condition in my right knee that needs to be carefully managed," Malinga's statement read. "The condition relates directly to the chronic knee injury I sustained playing for Sri Lanka in Australia back in February 2008, an injury that prevented me from playing ODI cricket for 16 months.

"The injury was a career-threatening injury and my orthopaedic surgeon was of the opinion that given his experience with other professional athletes in Australia I was very fortunate to play again. I have since been advised by the national team physiotherapist and my orthopaedic consultant that my condition will deteriorate when fielding or bowling for prolonged periods.

"I did try to return to Test cricket after a three-year absence last year [against India] following requests from the team management and the selectors, but it left me unfit nursing severe knee pain for two months.

"I have realised that the heavy workload of Test cricket, which requires a fast bowler to be able to bowl more than 15 overs, sometimes on consecutive days, could lead to permanent injury. I have carefully considered my options and have decided that not playing Test cricket will help me achieve my goal of representing Sri Lanka in the 2012 World Twenty20 and the 2015 World Cup."

Sri Lanka news: Lasith Malinga gives up Test cricket | Sri Lanka Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Really sad as the signs were on his brief come back he could have been a very good fast bowler, and even with Steyn there is still a draught of them.

I hope this is not a knee-jerk (scoff) reaction to avoid skipping the IPL to attend physio because the sri lankan board asked him to after he withdrew himself injured from the test squad. He clearly did need wrapping in cotton wool a bit though.

On the other hand were New Zealand given this option 8-9 years ago with shane bond, we might have been able to keep one of the greatest lost talents around in the international scene.

Still, last 10 years cricket has lost Akthar, Bond, Malinga and Jones to knee problems (And certainly didn't see the best of Flintoff and currently 2/3rds of the west indies ideal attack are side lined). Perhaps another indication that it's a batsman's game these days is the fact that it seems impossible for a good quick bowler to manage the workload expected of him.

Params7

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
How many tests has Malinga played over the last 2 years? IPL only lasts for 1 month.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
iirc he has played only 2 tests over the last few years.

This was something you could see coming from a mile away. Especially when the board criticised him for not playing so many tests.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Really sad as the signs were on his brief come back he could have been a very good fast bowler, and even with Steyn there is still a draught of them.

I hope this is not a knee-jerk (scoff) reaction to avoid skipping the IPL to attend physio because the sri lankan board asked him to after he withdrew himself injured from the test squad. He clearly did need wrapping in cotton wool a bit though.

On the other hand were New Zealand given this option 8-9 years ago with shane bond, we might have been able to keep one of the greatest lost talents around in the international scene.

Still, last 10 years cricket has lost Akthar, Bond, Malinga and Jones to knee problems (And certainly didn't see the best of Flintoff and currently 2/3rds of the west indies ideal attack are side lined). Perhaps another indication that it's a batsman's game these days is the fact that it seems impossible for a good quick bowler to manage the workload expected of him.

Ye its really sad to see so many quality fast-bowlers consistently breaking down in test these days & giving it up for T20s/ODIs.

I blame international scheduling mainly (although guys like Malinga, Bond, Jones, Flintoff. Tait had bodies/actions that regardless of if the schedule was lighter - would have broken down anyway) is the blame. Players dont get enough time to rest & fast-bowlers suffer the most.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well I guess SL won't miss him - he never played Tests for them anyway :p We'll see if he reconsiders in August when he's not playing IPL... He's only 27 or 28 right? So he's got plenty of time to comeback if he wants to.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Money is a reason for this decision, but not the only reason. If you see the records, he has just played around 2-3 tests in the past 18-24 months.

I am not at all shocked with Malinga's decision, it was expected.

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
Money money money. This is all the matters :facepalm.

Too harsh to say that, it is not as if he has skipped a tour or series to play in IPL. He hasn't played too many tests like everyone above said. Malinga is one of the most passionate cricketer in Sri Lanka.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Malinga is a very a good bowler although very irritating to my eyes due to his action. It would be better for me to watch SL tests now :)

Kabooka

International Cricketer
Now that Malinga is gone, who will lead the Sri Lankan pace attack in tests. Without him IMO Sri Lankan bowling will suffer.

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
Now that Malinga is gone, who will lead the Sri Lankan pace attack in tests. Without him IMO Sri Lankan bowling will suffer.

Not sure it would affect them much because he hardly played any tests for them in recent times. Although his inclusion would have boosted it a lot.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Not sure it would affect them much because he hardly played any tests for them in recent times. Although his inclusion would have boosted it a lot.

SRI still had Murali, Vaas & a new Mendis while Malinga was missing, so they could have covered for his absence. But now that great duo has retired & Mendis has been decoded, Malinga would have been needed to lead the attack in all 3 formats. But his retirement means the test attack will feel it.

Users who are viewing this thread