IPL MCC & a top EPL team in the running to buy IPL franchise

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Everyone knows about the MCC thing. Those who don't, here we go - Lord's owner MCC looking to buy new IPL squad?

In a development which is bound to raise a few eyebrows here on PC, a top EPL team is in the running to buy an IPL team-

Indian Premier League commissioner Lalit Modi has claimed that a top English football club is planning to bid for an IPL team but the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea have denied any such interest.

"There is a very famous football club in the UK very interested in bidding. (They are) probably one of the most famous football clubs - probably top three. They are interested in taking a stake," Modi told 'The Times'.

Manchester United quickly clarified that they were not keen on any such move while Chelsea's name was shot down by Modi himself.

The likes of Liverpool and Arsenal are in debt and unsure about their long-term ownership, ruling out any such move from them.

Manchester City, a club acquired by Gulf-based owners, may be interested but a team official denied that Modi could be referring to them.

The IPL will include two new teams from the 2011 season and these will be auctioned before this year's edition starting March 12.

The franchise rights' base price has been set at $225 million and potential investors could make their first move as early as this week.

Source- Top English football club planning to buy IPL team: Modi

ESPN Star Sports has actually quoted Manchester City to have probably even made an offer to buy an IPL team-

Manchester City to buy IPL team?

Manchester City are believed to have made an offer to buy an Indian Premier League team.

According to the British daily The Sun, the IPL authorities have confirmed they have received an approach from the world's richest football club.

It is reported that City's Abu Dhabi-based owners want to invest in an IPL team to help build more awareness to their plans to make their region part of the global cricket hub.

"I can confirm an English Premier League club has approached us about buying a team," IPL commissioner Lalit Modi told The Sun.

Modi, who has stated that the IPL can become a big brand name, later ruled Chelsea out of the equation.

There will be ten teams instead of eight on 2011 and the new teams could be revealed as early as next month.

Abu Dhabi's ground has so far staged one-day internationals with Pakistan, West Indies and New Zealand.

Great developments this, for the IPL.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Great news.
IPL=> International Premier League FTW:):banana2
This makes small IPL stakers like Deccan Chronicle Holding Limited, Emerging Media close their account.:laugh

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
DC can go if they feel like. They should just leave Gayatri alone. She adds to the charm of the IPL ;).

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
DC can go if they feel like. They should just leave Gayatri alone. She adds to the charm of the IPL ;).

well, DC has greatest competition in holding its stake as Chiranjeevi's son Ram Charan Teja and Allu Arvind along with Allu Arjun are expected to buy it as their words indicate the same.
Ram Charan, Allu Arjun,and Chranjeevi attend every match which takes place in Hyderabad.
So, Be careful Gayatri;)

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'd love to see Manchester UNITED to own a team, replacing Deccan Chargers.
It'd be great to see some blend of football and cricket.

We could see Alex Ferguson managing Sachin, Dada, Viru, Dravid, etc. :p

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
well, DC has greatest competition in holding its stake as Chiranjeevi's son Ram Charan Teja and Allu Arvind along with Allu Arjun are expected to buy it as their words indicate the same.
Ram Charan, Allu Arjun,and Chranjeevi attend every match which takes place in Hyderabad.
So, Be careful Gayatri;)

Gayatri's going nowhere. I'll stop watching DC's matches if she's gone. :p

And I had no idea about this development in DC ownership issue, AKF. I hope they retain Gayatri if they're planning to buy the team :noway.

I'd love to see Manchester UNITED to own a team, replacing Deccan Chargers.
It'd be great to see some blend of football and cricket.

We could see Alex Ferguson managing Sachin, Dada, Viru, Dravid, etc. :p

Yes yes. But he'll beat his players, kick them around, throw shoes at them or maybe even spit at them and then we'll see players leave the team for a rival, come back and pwn Alex :banana2

But sadly, none of this is gonna happen. Alex won't be a good cricket team manager, Man U isn't buying an IPL team (they've said that they're not in the running atm) & Man City's in with a bid, according to ESS.

I hope to see Jos? Mourinho in the IPL though. :D

Mercules

Club Cricketer
Great. Two despicable leagues joining together, what could be better.

harrisb

International Coach
after reading the first post, it sounds like it won't me Man united or Chelsea.

i think that it will be Man City, because their owners are very wealthy, and when you look at the owners of Man United (The Glazers), they aren't very popular, and they are american. Chelsea's owner (Roman Abromavich), is also from a country where they don't play cricket, and although his wealth is still growing, i don't think that it would make sense for him to invest in something like this.

However, the owners of Manchester City are from the middle-east, abu dhabi i think, and cricket is beginning to become quite popular in the UAE, with a few international matches being played there recently. I think that it is most probably the city owners that are eyeing up owning a franchise.

btw, this has all come out quite well for Modi hasn't it, he announces that there will be 10 franchises in the next IPL (after the upcoming one) and a very big auction of 500 players in july. An owner with the wealth of the Man City owner, could revoloutionise the IPL, because although it is already very lucrative, this is entering a new dimension of wealth.

Users who are viewing this thread