MCL 2020

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
So I have just found out through twitter about this T20 league that is happening between the retired international players in UAE. The competition will contain 6 franchises with 2 icon players in each team and a total of 13 players in each team. The players however must be retired from International cricket.

This actually came into attention when Shane Warne tweeted about it about 5 months ago.

Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 10.49.58 AM.png

However, we didn't get much information for the next few months. Eventually, last month there was an article posted about this league in various newspapers.

Shane Warne and Sachin Tendulkar behind plans for new Twenty20 league

Today scrolling through twitter I found the official twitter handle of the tournament. Shane Warne and Sachin Tendulkar have also pitched the idea to ICC and have got their approval for it. Apparently they have made the official announcement about it few hours ago.

Sachin and Warne's Twenty20 league gets ICC nod - The Times of India

Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 10.56.28 AM.png

Masters Champions League unveils 'icons' - Cricbuzz

Icon players announced so far includes Wasim Akram, Brian Lara, Adam Gilchrist, and Jacques Kalis.

I will try to update as I get more information about this.

Last edited:
Alright, so I have mixed up two leagues here because I was confused. So the league Masters Champions League(MCL 2020) is a different league from the one that Sachin and Shane Warne are planning. MCL 2020 as mentioned in the first post will be played in UAE in February 2016 for next 10 years. The one that is planned by Sachin and Shane Warne is called ASL. This league will be played in United States most likely and so far 28 former players have been approach for that league. Brett Lee, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, Glenn McGrath, Michael Vaughan, Andrew Flintoff & Jacques Kallis are reportedly involved in the ASL league for which they are offered contracts worth around $30,000 per match. ASL league has been approved by the ICC as I have mentioned in the first post.

First of all regardless of what the leagues are called its a pleasure to see the retired guys play some form of cricket, so no doubt both the leagues will be popular, if not for the cricket on display, but surely for memories we all have.

Having said this, I am more inclined to lean towards the Warne-Sachin league, for two reasons -

1) While Dubai is as good a venue as any to host a T20 league, the fact that ASL (wonder what it stands for) takes place in the US is a big thumbs up from me. If ever there was a place where the game required to be spread, it was the US and its great that ASL are doing it there.

2) I don't know about the players who will play in Dubai league, but I like the list of players who could turn out in the ASL. Sachin and Warne are already in surely, and other favs seem likely to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread