Minnows Problem

N

nash007

Cricket is played seriously only in 15 or so countries and only 7 or 8 teams are good. The matches in WC between a good team and minnows are predictable and dull. Thats why i think rules shud be changed to make it a challenge for the estabilished teams. For example, the test team shud be given full points only if, they win by a certain margin of runs or run rate. Half the points for just winning and negative points for losing. This will bring some amount of seriousness in these matches.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Originally posted by job_max2001@May 15 2003, 01:34 PM
Cricket is played seriously only in 15 or so countries and only 7 or 8 teams are good. The matches in WC between a good team and minnows are predictable and dull. Thats why i think rules shud be changed to make it a challenge for the estabilished teams. For example, the test team shud be given full points only if, they win by a certain margin of runs or run rate. Half the points for just winning and? negative points for losing. This will bring some amount of seriousness in these matches.
I'm not sure Kenya would agree with you. Teams are never going to improve unless they play against the 'big boys'.
I think your point is more valid for Test matches than ODIs as proved by Bangladesh but anything can still happen.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think cricket is played seriously in more than 15 countries.

Aside from the 10 full members of the ICC there are 26 associate members. The ICC class an associate country as one where cricket is "firmly established", ie. played seriously. Then there are the 38 affiliate members, where the ICC recognises that cricket is played "by the laws of the game"

As for test matches, I think the test championship should be split into 2 divisions of 8. Take Zimbabwe and Bangladesh from the top division and add the best 6 associate countries, Kenya, Holland, Canada, Namibia, Scotland, United Arab Emirates and maybe Ireland, and let these play "B" test matches. You could have 1 or 2 teams promoted and relegated every few years.

N

nash007

Nice idea, but wont it hamper the progress of the lesser teams? I mean 6 of them will not get to play with the top 8 in the world for quite some time. I dont see how, playing against lesser opposition will benefit these nations. Scotland for example, play in the english county championsip. I think the competition there, is tougher than in those bunch of 8 countries. And, how will teams be relegated from the top 10? Every year, unless there is a major upset the same 2 teams which were promoted will get relegated.
I dont thin exposure is a solution. It has been tried with Bangladesh. They have lost all but 1 test match and they have lost 33 consecutive one dayers.
Cricket should be improved on the grassroot level by the ICC. Academies should be formed in places like Australia and South Africa, where young players from these countries can sharpen their skills. James Anderson is a good example of this system. If the counties are willing to cooperate, players from these nations shud be given places in the clubs.
First of all, interest should be created regarding cricket in these countries :)

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Originally posted by job_max2001@May 15 2003, 05:36 PM
Scotland for example, play in the english county championsip.
I think you'll find that Scotland play in the National League not the County Championship.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
An addition to my system that I forgot to mention was that the teams in the bottom 8 would play at least 3 games against teams from the top 8 every year. The minor countries play pratically nothing but 1 day cricket at the moment, Kenya play the odd 4 day game and Scotland and Ireland occasionally play each other in a 3 day game.

Scotland playing in the National League is a start. They should also play in the county championship as should Ireland and maybe Holland. Canada should play in the West Indies championship. Kenya and Namibia in the South African championships.

I think the two division system is better than exposure (as in Bangladesh's case) because it gets teams used to playing the longer form of the game. The minor countries play pratically nothing but 1 day cricket at the moment, Kenya play the odd 4 day game and Scotland and Ireland occasionally play each other in a 3 day game, but thats it.

Countries nearby to the minor countries should help them. Whats to stop England playing a quick 4 way series with Scotland, Ireland and Holland? OK so England would probably win it every year, but it helps. Maybe the England Academy could play in this series?

Users who are viewing this thread