More proof of why Ricky Ponting is easily the greatest batsman of the modern era.

I never said Punter wasn't great to watch, I just said I preferred watching other batsmen. I even admitted bias against him because I find him annoying. Personally I find the tag of "the greatest" very hard to define and it certainly should not be mixed up with "statistically the most successful" they aren't the same. Greatness does not always mean the most successful. Greatness is harder to define than that for example you may have an idea of what the greatest film of all time is, but you probably won't have based that opinion on how much money it took at the box office.
What he said. ;) No, seriously, Kev just stole my entire post from my head while I was sleeping.

YOu yourself said it Dude !!!
Sachin always had and has that class,Ponting evolved after 2002, and hit those 22 centuries which brought him closer to Sachin,Sachin is great from the Start,thats why the Great bolwers McGrath and Warne said its Tendulkar,otherwise they would have named their captain's name Ponting.
Also Sachin is so humble, and respected every where that even Australian people respect him after Bradman, also Sachin receive tremndous oviation from croud,not only from Australis but from any Cricket playing (also from Netherland,Bermuda,UAE)

In 2007 World Cup match against Bermuda, one of their players (i dont exactly remember him name,possibly their captain,he was slip feilder)he said ,i will drop Sachin's catch if its come to me,i wont be able to see him playing against me,and i would like to see him batting.

2-3 years before in SL, UAE was also there, their board had announced get wicket of Tendulkar and win 1000$.

Thats class of Tendulkar,he has never ever replied to any bowlers back(which Ponting does),has handelled more pressure and expectations.

Needless to say anything now...
Humble? Respected? Respected for batting prowess (sp?) possibly, but for his attitude on the field? What a joke.

Pressure and expectations? Please I did some research, quite a bit of it. Unfortunately I have been not allowed to post it, but if I was, some Sachin fans would be brought down to Earth.

Sachin rarely ever lives up to pressure and expectations. Simple as that.

Regarding his "humbleness" and "respectibility", I don't consider somebody who attempts to lie and deceive the umpire's decisions as humble and respectable. Walking is a different story, but to deceive the umpire is completely unsporting.

And not to mention him giving one of the Sri Lankan players out from the dressing room. Fair enough, decision was not in India's favor, but if he is so humble, he should keep quiet and act like an experienced campaigner.

Humble? Respected? Respected for batting prowess (sp?) possibly, but for his attitude on the field? What a joke.

Pressure and expectations? Please I did some research, quite a bit of it. Unfortunately I have been not allowed to post it, but if I was, some Sachin fans would be brought down to Earth.

Regarding his "humbleness" and "respectibility", I don't consider somebody who attempts to lie and deceive the umpire's decisions as humble and respectable. Walking is a different story, but to deceive the umpire is completely unsporting.

And not to mention him giving one of the Sri Lankan players out from the dressing room. Fair enough, decision was not in India's favor, but if he is so humble, he should keep quiet and act like an experienced campaigner.

Sorry dude,it seams you have not done enough study,his has been given out in 90's many a times, where he was not out,that time he did'nt say anything this thing happened 2 years back in England, and also in 2000 Tour of Aus,that time he accepted decision of umpires, next day head lines were
"SHOULDER BEFORE WICKET" (he was given out against McGrath ehere he was not out) Aus people that time said,he is "humble" as Sir Don Bradman,

In Eng 2 years back he was given out by Simon T, Collingwood was bowling Sachin was on 91,later umpire said : When i saw TV replay,i knew i gave wrong decision (that time Sachin ddint say anything),umpire accepted his wrong decision.

So when a batsman has been given out falsely on n no of times,and now when a bastman can appel to 3rd Umpire to recheck decision,why shouldnt he????

That explains why he is "HUMBLE" AND "RESPECTED" ALL OVER THE WORLD.

Sorry to say but that proves your study was quite limited and bounded,sorry dude.

nikhil_99 added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Also due to him India Reached till Final of WC 03 where he was highest scorer
In 96 Edition India managed till Semis (also highest scorer in that edition)

India Won recent Aus series where he scored in both finals
Also he scored every time Aus came here,also when India Travelled Aus.

Sorry my friend, I am not here for any war, we have seen diffrent things (which i have told above)and and hence our reaction is diffrent,anyway if at all that hurts you i am sorry.But what i said and replied to you comment is also true.

With all due respect, if a umpire looks at a batsman's face or body language when making a decision instead of the facts at hand concerning the appeal, he is the worst umpire in the world. Can you explain what exactly Sachin does when he is given out?

We are not saying he is perfect, no body is although its going to be a hard find to find someone along the likes of Tendulkar. I'm not trying to be biased or anything, but half the stuff in that post is completely against him. Kev probably has the most unbiased opinion and he summed it up well. We respect Tendulkar for his humble attitude, while not saying he is perfect, he is very influential.

Still not trying to be biased, I don't know how you can call Tendulkar unsportsman, he might have cracked it here and there, but after all he is god ;)

I'd like to hear opinions from people from other nations and what they think of him, because I've never heard anyone's opinion who isn't Indian / Australian / English / Pakistani...

Last edited:
We are not saying he is perfect, no body is although its going to be a hard find to find someone along the likes of Tendulkar. I'm not trying to be biased or anything, but half the stuff in that post is completely against him. Kev probably has the most unbiased opinion and he summed it up well. We respect Tendulkar for his humble attitude, while not saying he is perfect, he is very influential.

Still not trying to be biased, I don't know how you can call Tendulkar unsportsman, he might have cracked it here and there, but after all he is god ;)

I'd like to hear opinions from people from other nations and what they think of him, because I've never heard anyone's opinion who isn't Indian / Australian / English / Pakistani...

I am a West Indian, :D I personally don't like R Ponting, but you can't Denied he is a good Captain and batsman (once he is in, like many great batsman).

I never really watch R Ponting at his best.
But when he was in the Caribbean recently, J Taylor always had him in trouble and I can tell that If you don't get him out early I feel for you later.
Because Ponting has a shaky start all the time, many great batsman is like that also.
:D

I am a West Indian, :D I personally don't like R Ponting, but you can't Denied he is a good Captain and batsman (once he is in, like many great batsman).

I never really watch R Ponting at his best.
But when he was in the Caribbean recently, J Taylor always had him in trouble and I can tell that If you don't get him out early I feel for you later.
Because Ponting has a shaky start all the time, many great batsman is like that also.
:D

Yep, thats a good response, he is no doubt a good captian and he certainly does have shaky starts. Unfortunately I can only watch him against the windies when they come here.

I don't think Ricky Ponting is the greatest batter of the modern era at all.

He is obviously very good; I mean that's a given. But he is so fragile out side off stump and the way he does that half hearted lunge foward when the ball is swinging away from him - he does not look good. Really scratchy early on; but yeah he is class.

COme on guys now please agree that Ponting is the greatest batsman of modern era
I feel just two greats in Moder Era exist

1-Ricky Ponting
2-Sachin Tendulkar

COme on guys now please agree that Ponting is the greatest batsman of modern era
I feel just two greats in Moder Era exist

1-Ricky Ponting
2-Sachin Tendulkar

I think Tendulkar is better.

Tendulkar of 90s was certainly better than Ponting, but not the Sachin of this decade. Ponting is the best batsman of the modern era IMO, but he isn't the greatest by a long way. I would actually put Sangakarra in that bracket along with Younis and Chanderpaul. Yousuf is a gun but I've never rated him over Younus or Inzamam, just his peak was one of the best ever, but I wouldn't put him in that bracket quite yet.

Younus as in Younus Khan ? I'd rate Pietersen and Jayawardene above him. I think the best batsmen of the modern era (not retired) are:

Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Jaques Kallis
Kumar Sangakkara
Kevin Pietersen

wIf you look at the last eight years, than one would probalbly say that Ponting is the best in this era.

However, look throughout the 90s. Tendulkar terrorised bowling attacks throughout an entire decade (and four years after that), where ever in the world, whatever the situation. Have you frogotten his heroic efforts to beat Australia in the series of 98, or his brilliant batting in WC 99 and 03?

Ponting has been performing for a less period of time, with MUCH less pressure, and against weaker bowling attacks (he never had to face the Australian bowling attack of McGrath, Lee, Warne, is what I'm saying - Sachin hammered all three of them)

Sachin has had to go through various physical injuries, being pushed to the edge, pressure beyond any sportsman EVER, and legions of people doubting him all the time - and he's proved them wrong, again, and again, and again.

Another thing, Ponting throughout his career was forced to resort to sledging and taunting of the bowlers to get them worked up - Sachin doesn't need to do that to get runs - he talks with hsi bat.

Users who are viewing this thread