Movie Lists

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Me and a lot of people didnt get to see some actually good movies because sometimes they are released in limited theaters only thus most of the people miss them. Or sometimes we go with critics and skip it if it got a bad review. And sometime we have missed them just because we were too young too see them when they were released :p
I tried the top 250 list of IMDB and found that most of the movies are not of my taste and some are way too old. Only a few of them are ones i like. So it becomes very difficult to choose which old classic/modern classic to buy at store for weekend. I found the lists created by people fairly enjoyable on imdb.

Why not create same lists here. Rule is simple. Just copy paste the list from the previous post(which in case here is the first post) and then add you movies and post them. For every genre movie rating should be above 7 on imdb but if you wanna include a low rated movie which you believe is a cult classic, then post that movie in the Cult Classic section and give a small review. Thats it. I may miss some genre here but you can always add new genre here and expand the list further.

Action
Lucky Number Slevin

Horror

Thriller
Bourne Trilogy
Pulp Fiction
Godfather Trilogy
Snatch
Lock Stock and two smoking barrels
Rock-n-rolla
Unknown
Buried
Sci-Fi

Romance

Comedy

Drama

Cult Classic
Boondock Saints Duology.

Boondock Saints Summary: Over the top action and nice shoot out scenes. The way the legend of boondock saints started is awesome. And the use of F word is soooooooo much :p
Some dialogues are really good, especially the dialogues befoer the final assassination in the first movie

----------

I'm sleepy so i gonna hit the bed. Would add more movies to the other genres too. I hope someone else adds my fav movie before i woke up :p

Last edited:

6ry4nj

International Coach
I'm having trouble putting my movies into your categories - many belong to two, some to three.

Secondly, I'm not checking my taste in movies against IMDB. If that means these are all cult, so be it. They're good movies - in fact they all do some aspect better than any other movie I've ever seen. Of course, not everyone will agree.

1. Movies you all should know about already:

Scream - comedy (parody) thriller
Sixth Sense - supernatural (ghost) drama
Casablanca - thriller (suspense) romance
Galaxy Quest - sci-fi (present-day) comedy
Minority Report - epic(!) sci-fi (future setting) drama
Being John Malkovich - altered reality (surreal) comedy/drama

2. More obscure gems.

Earth - silent Russian documentary or docu-drama (can't remember which)
Steppenwolf - German(?) surreal/altered reality drama
Secret Garden - family (period) drama (my all-time favourite favourite movie ;))
Pocahontas - family animated musical adventure
Reanimator - horror comedy
Waking Life - semi-animated altered reality docu-drama
Alice In Wonderland (1999 not the latest one) - surreal family comedy/adventure
S1m0ne - slightly surreal homage/parody comedy
The Robe - religious (Christian) period/sword-and-sandal drama
EDIT: :eek: Shocked to the core that no Kurosawas have been included, I add:
Hidden Fortress - Japanese period (samurai) action
- the movie that the original Star Wars was a remake of

3. Movies you might have written off...

Vanilla Sky - altered reality drama
How To Lose A Guy In 10(?) Days - romantic comedy
(but with elements of homage to/parody of ancient Greek drama)
Pride and Prejudice (2005?) - romantic (period) drama (my 'other' all-time favourite movie)
Exorcist II: The Heretic - psychological drama with surreal/supernatural overtones

Last edited:

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah some movies belong to more than one category. So just put them in any of those two genre.

P.S: It was 3 Am when i created the thread. So a lot of movies were missed. I would add more when i get time. Most of your movies have ratings better than 7 on IMDB. So they can be out in respective genre. Those who dont are Cult classics. :p

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Action

Lucky Number Slevin
Bloodsport
Once upon a Time in China Triology
City Hunter (also comical)
All Jackie Chan movies

Horror

Scream Triology
Hollowman I,II
Friday the 13th

Thriller

Bourne Trilogy
Law Abiding Citizen
Shutter Island
Inception
Crimson Tide
Angels & Demons
Inglorious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Godfather Trilogy
Snatch
Rock-n-rolla
Unknown
Buried

Comedy

Ocean's Trilogy
Scary Movie Triology (Parody of Scream)
Bruce Almighty
Yes Man

Cult Classic

Boondock Saints Duology.

Last edited:

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Action

Lucky Number Slevin
Bloodsport
All Jackie Chan movies
Machette

Horror

Scream Triology
Hollowman I,II
Friday the 13th
Darkness Falls
Jeepers Creepers duology

Thriller

Bourne Trilogy
Law Abiding Citizen
Shutter Island
Inception
Crimson Tide
Angels & Demons
Inglorious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Godfather Trilogy
Snatch
Rock-n-rolla
Unknown
Buried
V for Vendetta

Comedy

Ocean's Trilogy
Bruce Almighty
Yes Man

Cult Classic

Boondock Saints Duology.

Drama
August Rush

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Action

Lucky Number Slevin
Bloodsport
All Jackie Chan movies
Machete
Die Hard series
Mission Impossible Series
Point Break

Horror

Scream Triology
Hollowman I,II
Friday the 13th
Darkness Falls
Jeepers Creepers duology
I know what you did last summer

Thriller

Bourne Trilogy
Law Abiding Citizen
Shutter Island
Inception
Crimson Tide
Angels & Demons
Inglorious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Godfather Trilogy
Snatch
Rock-n-rolla
Unknown
Buried
V for Vendetta
The Sixth Sense
The Shawshank Redemption

Comedy

Ocean's Trilogy
Bruce Almighty
Yes Man
The Pink Panther
Hot Fuzz

Cult Classic

Boondock Saints Duology

Sci-Fi

Terminator 1-3
Matrix Trilogy

Drama

August Rush
The Scent of a Woman

Some I saw recently off the top of my head. I apologise if I got the genres wrong on some. As for the IMDb thing, really can't be bothered. Besides, I don't believe in reviews. If something like Inception gets crappier reviews than Avatar, you know it means nothing. All comedies are usually reveiwed badly anyway.

Last edited:

AkshayC

County Cricketer
Action

Lucky Number Slevin
Bloodsport
All Jackie Chan movies
Machete
Die Hard series
Point Break

Horror

Scream Triology
Hollowman I,II
Friday the 13th
Darkness Falls
Jeepers Creepers duology
I know what you did last summer
Grudge Trilology
Paranormal Activity
The Exorcist
Resident Evil
Evil Dead 2

Thriller

Bourne Trilogy
Law Abiding Citizen
Shutter Island
Inception
Crimson Tide
Angels & Demons
Inglorious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Godfather Trilogy
Snatch
Rock-n-rolla
Unknown
Buried
V for Vendetta
The Sixth Sense
The Shawshank Redemption
I am Legend
Day after Tomorrow

Comedy

Ocean's Trilogy
Bruce Almighty
Yes Man
The Pink Panther
Hot Fuzz
Cult Classic
Boondock Saints Duology
Disaster Movie
Superhero Movie

Sci-Fi

Terminator 1-3
Matrix Trilogy
Tron Legacy
I, Robot
Blade Series

Drama
August Rush
The Scent of a Woman

Owzat

International Coach
And sometime we have missed them just because we were too young too see them when they were released :p

Totally on board with what you're trying to do, but a massive list and growing isn't the best way to do it, just mixes up a whole load of different people's tastes and I doubt many will go "oh yeah, I'm going to check out lots of those based on their titles"

I won't mix my suggestions in, just list a few films with a brief synopsis so people can decide if they want to watch. Some you may know, some you might not

STONE COLD

Cop Action Adventure. A friend recorded this by accident for me once, I am soooooo glad she did. Brian Bosworth is blackmailed by the FBI into infiltrating a biker gang who have nothing but contempt for the law. He flexes his ample muscles, plenty of testosterone on show and a bloody finale/climax

Excellent film, one of those that seems to be hard to get hold of in this country and I've never seen on TV in the UK.

BY DAWN'S EARLY LIGHT

WWIII nuclear war thriller, USA and Soviet Union start firing missiles at each other when neither side actually started it. The respective presidents are trying to stop it, but one is incapacitated and a loon is calling the shots.

CATHOLIC BOYS

Teen Comedy with some of the brat pack, set in a school with monks for teachers the kids get up to mischief. They face a sadistic teacher who they eventually stand up to

WILDCATS

Sport Comedy about US football which is one of the better sports related films. Star studded cast including Wesley Snipes, Goldie Hawn and Woody Harrelson, and you may recognise a few others. Goldie Hawn wants to coach and ends up at a 'rough' school in order to do it, except the players don't like her.

FATAL BEAUTY

Cop Action Adventure with Whoopi Goldberg, about a cop trying to track down a bad batch of drugs that proves fatal to its users. Don't see it much on TV here, ranks up with Jumpin' Jack Flash in my book.

REAL GENIUS

Comedy with Val Kilmer as a brainiac who is joined by a young brainiac at college. Despite being geniuses, they goof a lot and enjoy themselves. They are working on a laser project, except their tutor doesn't tell them it is for the military.

LES MAITRES DU TEMPS (MASTERS OF TIME)

Animated Sci-Fi Adventure. Saw this as a kid, only acquired it in the last year or two. It is in French, but with subtitles, a surprisingly good soundtrack and a real twist at the end - if a somewhat abrupt end. The lead character receives a distress call, a kid is left stranded on a hostile planet all alone after hornets killed his parents. He has only a communicator and the odd life on the planet to guide and help him as the hero rushes to reach and save him.

PROJECT ALF

Comedy based on the TV series back in the 80s (I guess) ALF is an Alien Life Form, captured by the US government and being held for questioning and testing. ALF delivers his lines impeccably.

QUATERMASS 2/QUATERMASS AND THE PIT

Sci-Fi Adventure/Horror. Quatermass is a scientist, in Quatermass 2 he investigates a bodysnatcher like invasion. In Quatermass and the Pit he is helping investigate the discovery of what appears to be a spaceship surrounded by ape-like skeletons.

VIRUS/GHOST SHIP/DEEP RISING

Sci-FI/Horror. A trio of horror films set on abandoned ships. In each film a crew go aboard a ship where the occupants were slaughtered, only after they've been on a while do they realise how and in some cases why.

They may sound like they are similar and therefore not worth watching all three, trust me when I say they are all excellent and very different while being all the same kind of beginning - find an abandoned ship, board it, lose their own vessel at some point................ etc

NIGHTBREAKER

Hard to classify, I guess drama based on factuality. It looks at the testing of nuclear weapons and how the government used troops. Might not be high octane action, but very very interesting.

BAD TASTE

Comedy/Sci-Fi/Horror. Saw this way back, watched it then but it only later sank in how good the film is and I found myself wanting to watch it again. An alien corporation has invaded a small town, massacred the inhabitants and boxed them up for their fast food chain. Time to send in the boys, including nerdy Derek and "Derek's don't run!"

Absolutely worth watching, if only the once.

TWELVE MONKEYS

Sci-Fi. Humans live underground, Bruce Willis is sent outside and then back in time to gather information about a virus that wiped out humanity. I don't go a bundle on Brad Pitt, but his part in the film is brilliantly done.

SOUTHERN COMFORT

Thriller I guess. US National Guard gather for a training exercise, one platoon gets lost and decides to borrow locals' boats. One fires blanks at the locals and the platoon end up being hunted by the locals with blanks and one pack of live ammo between them.

THE LIGHT AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD

Action Adventure/Thriller. Pirates led by Yul Brinner approach a lighthouse on an island, butcher the lighthouse keeper and so Kirk Douglas goes into hiding. He continues a struggle against them to try and stop them sinking passing ships, and indeed ambushing the supply ship when it is next due.

IMPOSTOR

Sci-Fi thriller. Absolutely brilliant film based on a short story by Philip K Dick. Earth is at war with an alien race, Gary Sinise is a scientist but is believed to be an impostor, designed to get close to a target and detonate. He sets out to prove he is human.

THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT

Sci-Fi. Ashton Kutcher blacks out through his childhood and can't remember key events during those black outs. His friend is victim of child abuse, one of the episodes of black outs he suffers. He keeps a journal to try and help his memory, he later finds he can travel back in time to events if he reads his journal. In doing this he hopes to right wrongs, however it has knock-on effects and he is constantly trying to correct those effects.

SERENITY

Sci-Fi. Based on Firefly series, I recently watched the series and the film manages to capture something the series couldn't quite. Malcolm Reynolds is captain of a ship, Serenity, named after the battle of Serenity Valley. They pick up a passenger played by Summer Glau, she can read minds and has 'hidden talents' which directs the storyline. I won't say any more in case you haven't seen it, let's just say the film is excellent.

POINT BREAK

Cop action adventure. Keanu Reeves is an FBI agent who goes undercover as a surfer (!) to try and track down and apprehend a gang who rob banks wearing the masks of former presidents.

THE QUICK AND THE DEAD

Western. Much under-rated film, perhaps because one of the stars is Sharon Stone. Gene Hackman runs a town, bleeds it dry, but every year holds a competition where people enter and shoot it out on the draw. Russell Crowe is a preacher forced to compete, it has a star studded cast including Lance Henriksen, Leonardo Di Caprio, and even the guy who plays Jigsaw in the Saw series of films! Soundtrack by Alan Silvestri is excellent

USED CARS

Comedy. Kurt Russell tries to run a car lot when the rival car lot owner kills off his own brother and the lot has no owner.

UNCOMMON VALOUR

War Action Adventure. Gene Hackman is trying to find his son who he believes is a POW in Vietnam still held. He assembles a team to go in and mount a rescue mission

BAT*21

War Action Adventure. Gene Hackman again, this time as a senior officer shot down during the Vietnam war and the attempts to airlift him out. 'Bird Dog' Danny Glover watches over him. Similar to Behind Enemy Lines, but for me way better.

NO WAY OUT

Cold War Thriller. Gene Hackman AGAIN, this time he is the bad guy - or is he? Hackman kills Sean Young, but a photo of Kevin Costner with her incriminates Costner. They are both stuck in the Pentegon and time is running out as Costner tries to prove it wasn't him. Twist at the end.

TOO LATE THE HERO

WWII Action Adventure. A mission is mounted from one end of an island to destroy radio facilities and avoid a convoy being sunk. The mission doesn't exactly go to plan and the remnants struggle to get back to base with the japs in hot pursuit - once their secret is at jeopardy.

GO TELL THE SPARTANS

Vietnam War film. Not disimilar to the Green Berets with the yanks trying to hold a defensive position and becoming over-run.

WILD GEESE

Action/War drama. Richard Burton assembles a force to rescue a former African president. He is double crossed and attempts to escape. Also stars Roger Moore, Richard Harris, Hardy Kruger and many more big names of yesteryear in smaller roles.

CODENAME WILD GEESE

Action Adventure/War drama. Lewis Collins is sent in with a small unit to destroy drug producing facilities in Vietnam. He finds out there is more to it than meets the eye, but has to finish the job off and escape. Also stars Ernest Borgnine, Lee Van Cleef and Klaus Kinski.

THE BLACK HOLE

Sci-Fi. A crew come across a colossal ship, the Cygnus, that was thought lost and it is holding out against the gravitational pull of a black hole. Only one man remains on board, or so it seems, and the crew is made up of robots. As the film goes on they find out more, try to escape but will Dr Hans Reinhardt let them go?

YANGTSE INCIDENT

War drama. A British ship is shelled while on patrol on the Yangtse. They are pinned down on the bank of the river and attempts to rescue her by other vessels are unsuccessful. They decide to attempt escape themselves.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Action

Lucky Number Slevin
Bloodsport
Police Story triology
Machete
Die Hard series
Point Break
Once Upon a Time in Mexico