NBA 2k11 "best sports game of this generation"

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Honestly, the stuff with Michael Jordan is reason enough to pick up NBA 2K11. The fact that 2K Sports did so much more with this game and improved it so greatly over last year's title is stunning. This isn't just the best basketball game ever; it's the best sports game of this generation.
NBA 2K11 Review - PlayStation 3 Review at IGN

Wow, might get this one even if I am not a massive fan of basketball.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
The game is gonna be special. I've had it pre-ordered since July 22nd. Expecting delivery on Tuesday and I'm counting down the minutes for sure.

Burnsy1

Club Cricketer
Cheers for bringing my attention to this game. Read the review and I must say it sounds very impressive I know what game I'll be buying next now :)

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Right. The graphics look superb from the trailer I had seen. If I could buy it in India, then surely I'd get it.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I was thinking about merging this thread with the Live series one, but thought it might be better for the forum, nay, humanity, if the NBA Live series thread stays dead...

I'm definitely going to get it, for the MJ factor if nothing else, but I'm seriously starting to wonder which platform to get it on, now that Sohum has said it'll look superior on 360. The good thing is that I'm still enjoying 2K10 quite a bit and will only be getting this one when my current career mode season is over, so around the same time AC:B comes out.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Just wait and see what the PS3 gamers say. If you found the gfx on the demo good then I'm guessing the full game will be good as well.

nightprowler10

Executive member
Just wait and see what the PS3 gamers say. If you found the gfx on the demo good then I'm guessing the full game will be good as well.

Yeah like I said, gfx were really good overall, but some of the animations seemed like a work in progress.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Just got the game delivered yesterday. First thoughts are that it is very difficult, bordering on impossible if I try to use my 2K10 instincts to play it. For example, I've been averaging 20+ turnovers a game in the few games I've played. In one of my My Player scrimmages in the draft combine, I quit the game after throwing 11 turnovers in 15 minutes!

Passing is very difficult unless you use one of the advanced passing schemes (icon, icon lead or total control). If you use the default passing scheme (just tapping the A button) then more than likely your pass will go where it was not intended and will get picked off.

That said, it definitely looks exciting. What fun would a new game be if it was identical to the previous one? It will take a while to get a hang of the control scheme and once I get that, I'm sure it will get better. You have to run plays to be successful on offense, you can't just turbo around and get an open shot. The hop step/gather control is pretty cool. You can actually travel/double dribble.

My only issue with this game is that it's not a "pick up and play" game. Meaning if you have a few buddies over who are interested in basketball but don't know the game's control scheme, they will likely fail at it.

gudduthemaster

International Cricketer
It is 499 Here (Pc Version ) will pick it up next week,so many games Medal of honor this,+Festive Season :(

nightprowler10

Executive member
Passing is very difficult unless you use one of the advanced passing schemes (icon, icon lead or total control). If you use the default passing scheme (just tapping the A button) then more than likely your pass will go where it was not intended and will get picked off.

Learned to do that in 2K9 tbh. Sounds exciting.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
It is 499 Here (Pc Version ) will pick it up next week,so many games Medal of honor this,+Festive Season :(
Wow, that's nuts. It costs $30 in the US. Are you sure you aren't missing a number somewhere? :p

sohum added 1 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Learned to do that in 2K9 tbh. Sounds exciting.
I used icon passing in 2010. But icon passing won't cut it here. I'm going to have to do icon lead. According to devs, total control passing is the way to go. Haven't enabled that yet as I'm still trying to get accustomed to the new controls (the L1/L2 and R1/R2 buttons have been reversed, or at least reversed compared to what I had them as in 2K10).

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
After spending a weekend with it, I'm addicted. I've completed 3 Jordan Challenges so far (on Rookie/Casual--it's too hard otherwise!) and on the way of finishing a fourth.

Started off a My Player and going legit for now (meaning no cheating, haha, they're banning people who cheat from online). You start out rated around 30 (minimum is 25) and gotta build your way up from there.

My Draft Combine performance was pretty bad so I got drafted in Round 2 by the Nets. After putting in a decent performance in there our team still sucked so I asked for a trade to either the Rockets, Jazz or Knicks (since the Jazz were interested in me). Ended up at the Jazz and I'm the sixth man right now. Managing to get around 15-20 PPG now (although my average is still in the 13-14 range).

My only gripe with this game right now is that passing is still super dumb. For example, if I'm trying to pass out of a shot, I don't have the time to icon pass. Using the default passing mechanism is freaking impossible in this case because it invariable chooses the wrong person. I think it passes to the right person maybe 1 out of 3 times. I think the passing algorithm is actually worse than in 2K10.

The other issue I have with My Player is that now it adjusts your match-up based on fast breaks/pick and roll so that if your match up is the outlet for a fast break, you don't always get burned (or in pick and rolls, etc.). While this is good in theory, it's not working as well in practice. As PG, since I'm the first person back in transition D, every single fastbreaker is my responsibility! Which is freaking ridiculous because it's like 3-on-1 and no matter who scores I get docked points.

Also, I don't see a way to call plays in MP mode, which is kinda stupid.

I've created an association but haven't done anything with it yet. May reset it once the season begins, in case there are any last minute trades in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread