NBA Playoffs 2009

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
It is that time of year again... NBA playoff time and this time it looks like the Celtics have a lot of competition from a rampaging Lakers and the Cavaliers led by King James.

The match-ups are as follows:

Eastern Conference
Cleveland Cavaliers (1) vs. Detroit Pistons (8)
Boston Celtics (2) vs. Chicago Bulls (7)
Orlando Magic (3) vs. Philadelphia 76ers (6)
Atlanta Hawks (4) vs. Miami Heat (5)

Western Conference
LA Lakers (1) vs. Utah Jazz (8)
Denver Nuggets (2) vs. New Orleans Hornets (7)
San Antonio Spurs (3) vs. Dallas Mavericks (6)
Portland Trailblazers (4) vs. Houston Rockets (5)

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Just updated the bracket taking into account the final regular season games. My predictions:

East
Cleveland 4-0 Detroit
Boston 4-1 Chicago
Orlando 4-1 Philadelphia
Miami 4-3 Atlanta

West
LA 4-1 Utah
New Orleans 4-3 Denver
Dallas 4-2 San Antonio
Houston 4-2 Portland

I predict a lot of "upsets" according to the seeds anyway in the Western Conference. Hopefully Houston will move out of the first round now that T-mac is injured!

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Laaakers man, no way Utah will get one on us.
Lakers will win the series, imo, but I think Utah are good enough to spring a surprise or two.

I think it's great, though, that the number 8 seeds still have great records. Although Lakers with Bynum back is gonna be dangerous.

Potential flops I see are Spurs with Ginobili out and Celtics with KG out. I think Celts will manage but I hope the Spurs are knocked out early.

nightprowler10

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
What a game for the Bulls just now. Love such a physical defensive game. When Pierce missed that free throw in regulation I had a feeling the gods of basketball were smiling on the Bulls. Its nice to see D-Rose raising his game for the big occasion, now if only the other Bulls will do the same. Noah was very good on the boards as well, as much as I wanted to bitch slap him for that foul at the end of regulation. Have to give Doc Rivers props for that beautiful play to foul out Rose, and how good was Rondo? Had his first turnover of the game in OT! Not to mention that shot over Noah was ridiculous.

Also how great was Rose's 'deer in the headlights' look when he was told in the post-game interview that he tied the record with KAJ. Priceless!

pal

International Coach
I didn't realize Derrick Rose was that good. He got inside with ease so many times. I think the Celtics really missed KG's defensive ability there.

nightprowler10

Executive member
I didn't realize Derrick Rose was that good. He got inside with ease so many times. I think the Celtics really missed KG's defensive ability there.

He's been playing like this all season long, he was just a lot more focused today. He's been blowing past the best players all season. Rookie mistakes usually do hold him back, but he's still gonna be a star.

On another positive note, enjoying Pistons getting obliterated thus far.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Derrick Rose was phenomenal. I hadn't really got to see much of him during the regular season but today's performance was just awesome. I'm rooting for the Bulls, no doubt about that! Not really a Celtics fan, but they will have to start shooting a lot better to make up for missing KG's defensive abilities.

I hate the Pistons so I was happy with King James + company today as well.

Couple of big games coming up tonight with Dallas-San Antonio and Houston-Portland. I'm hoping for "upsets" in both of those. Hate the Spurs possibly more than the Pistons and with Ginobili out I'm hoping the Mavs roll them. All the pundits have Portland up against Houston, but I'm hoping the Rockets will be able to answer them. It all really depends on two things: (1) How much Ron Artest passes and (2) Getting Yao the ball down the stretch. Yao has not responded well thus far to fronting.

nightprowler10

Executive member
Sohum, you have to be enjoying SA losing game 1 baring a miracle here. Has been a really enjoyable game so far though.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Sohum, you have to be enjoying SA losing game 1 baring a miracle here. Has been a really enjoyable game so far though.
Came back to that news--was busy at a dance performance before that. But yeah, made my night, but not as much as watching the Rockets destroying Portland right now. Let's hope we don't blow it...again.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Man, this has been a dream two days for me. :)

Spurs losing, Pistons losing, haha. I was kind of meh about Magic losing to the Sixers, though. Reminded me a lot of Houston's tendencies to do that (the Rafer Alston effect, perhaps?).

I am hoping tomorrow will see the Mavs go up 2-0 and the Celts even it up 1-1 so that we have a dogfight when its back in Chicago. NP, you got any tickets?

sohum added 1 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

Ohh... completely forgot to mention. Billups 8/9 from 3P? Devastating. I wish JR Smith had given the ball to Billups more in the 4th quarter as I think Chauncey could have challenged the NBA record (12). Maybe JR was protecting his franchise record (he got 11 in a game last week). :p

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Hmm... Rockets dropped a close one to Portland. Would be nice to come back to H-town 2-0 up on the road. Oh well... let's hope we can maintain our 4 straight against Portland at home.

In other news all the "upset" teams have bounced back... Boston, Orlando, etc.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Deron Williams just pushed the Jazz over. I was hoping for a sweep, but looks like Lakers will have to win the series back in LA.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Bulls will take the Celtics, thanks to Rose's godliness.

Don't get the Pistons hate in here, although i'm not supporting them this season because of stupid trades and overall suckishness. Backing the Bulls!

Users who are viewing this thread