Need help batting against spinners on PS2!!!

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Need help batting against the spinners on PS2 console. Occasionally they bowl 'flipper' or the 'straight fast one', which is a lot faster than the normal deliveries and am always late to play the shot.

Is there any way u can tell if the bowler is going to bowl the flipper???

Even the bowling speed meter is not much of a help. For example, if u bowl a normal delivery with a spinner, the speed is around 40-45 mph for a spinner. But when a spinner bowls his topspinner (for offspinner) or flipper (for leg spinner), the delivery speed with the same speed meter level setting is around 60-65 mph!!!

Wanted to find out whether other folks r also finding this problem while facing the spinners and how r they dealing with it. Btw... only face this problem at Test difficulty.

P.S. - I am not refering to the special delivery that the spinners can bowl when their confidence meter is full. I am talking about the delivery spinners bowl with 'Triangle' button or the faster ball.

Look at there little delivery circle (Green, grey, yellow, red) and see which way the arrow is pointing. this helps ;)

If I look at the icon and by the time I realise that it's the quicker one, it's already too late and the ball goes thru my defence. I am facing this problem only with the spinners and only for the quicker deliveries... don't face any such probs with fast/medium bowlers

I used to get very stuck with the odd quicker ball, but most of my good timing occur just before the ball pitches, this is the right time when i trigger the batting action, this is especially true for big hits or "circle" button hits, just look for the ball before it pitches and play your shot, either defence, or the straight drive, i find defencive shots are not as effective with spinners, i find playing a shot like a straight drive or run it down to thrid-man, hope this helps

Spud.....

good good, hope it helps, yet even i mess it up, playing Vs. australia, Warne spun me into a great mess, stumps all over, bails on the boundry ropes, so dont take it as gospel, but it USUALLY works :cool:

As someone already mentioned, watch which way the arrow points. I find the run to third man is very usefull with the right hand batsmen

i find practising in the nets hard, i would really like the nets to be gone so i could see where the ball would land, i know it helps alot, thats how im soooo good, yea i didnt believe that either, but i find it difficult as if i try to hit for six, i havnt a clue if its going sailing for 6, or if its sailing into a fielders hands.
Simbazz

Simbazz said:
i find practising in the nets hard, i would really like the nets to be gone so i could see where the ball would land, i know it helps alot, thats how im soooo good, yea i didnt believe that either, but i find it difficult as if i try to hit for six, i havnt a clue if its going sailing for 6, or if its sailing into a fielders hands.
Simbazz

yeah agree. One of my qualms in a lot of cricket games (BLC/RPC, Cricket 2005, 2004 and so on) is that the nets dont show much of how well/bad the ball was hit once you do hit it. (although from memory CK04 or 05 do have commentry saying the ball was hit well). But yeah nonethless the balls that go in the air, you cant really tell if you get caught or make the rope, or beat the infield.

That is the nature of the beast however, as thats how it is in nets and i guess if they make it different it would take away from the essence of cricket. (main pitch training would be handy to get around this, but then i guess one may as well play a exhibition game on easy, although again, you cant have the same bowler (i.e spinner) guranteed to bowl to you each time :( )

Going back to your comment, about its the way Cricket is, maybe it could be a option, say net or no net, it would be a great feature of the game, and it could help new people to the game, as they can actually see what thier timing is like, and going to the Cricket 2005 nets, how annoying is the commentary, every bat swing or ball bowled, theres a comment, urgh annoys me a bit.

but BLIC has the timing bar? And as such in nets you should get a good idea as to whether you are going to be putting the ball in the stands or half way towards the boundary.

i take your point of view, really, you can work out if its going into the stands or not, but wouldn't it help if you could see, i know id practise alot longer, especially for the harder level, im on Test level and its so difficult practising the next level when you cant see if the ball is going into the stands, i play my game like Flintoff, try and use the six hit button as much as possible, but a bit less in tests, so practising in the middle without the nets would help me alot, especially if you had a option for fielders as well, i know you could just practise against Zimbabwe or somthing, but it just isnt the same, as you cant say "I want a FAST bowler or I want a SPIN bowler." All in all, it doesnt ruin the game, but i think it would be just a nice little extra, especially for people who watch cricket for the first time and buy the game to see what its all about and see if its good, im sure it would help them, thats been my main arguement in this about the nets.

Simbazz

Users who are viewing this thread