New online management game needs beta testers

cchamp

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've written a cricket management browser game and it is ready for some beta testers / early adopters.

You manage a team playing four day matches as friendlies or in leagues. You can set your tactics for each session and then play unfolds in real time, with commentary and scorecard, during that session based on those tactics. There are management options to buy and sell and train players to improve your squad.

If you are interested in having a look you can sign up at http://www.cricket-championship.com and there's a user guide on there with more information about what you can do in the game. I'd be very glad of some feedback.

Cheers!

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I've signed up. Just reading the rules now. Want a match Scotty...err..Tommy? ;)

lsaling

School Cricketer
Have signed up. Team = Bmacs. Have sent some feedback too.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Signed-up to the interesting game. :)

MY team: Mayan Cricket Club :p

Want a match? ;)

And hey, good luck with this game! :thumbs..

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Looks good. Some issues with players though, very simplistic. Would be nice if they had mnore skills and features.

And I'm just trying to get used to the tactics, but they have potential. I am assuming basic interface managers have a default set of tactics to use?

Also, how long are the matches? 3 day or 4 day?

EDIT: I've created an 8-team league, called The Zoraxis. I reccomend you all join ;) Matches start this Thursday. FC games, and since Friendlies are 4 days, I assume this will be a 5 day competition.

Last edited:

cchamp

School Cricketer
Looks good. Some issues with players though, very simplistic. Would be nice if they had mnore skills and features.

Fair comment. I'm working on exposing some more facets of the player skills. E.g. Batting against spin/swing/seam and bowling swing/seam/reverse swing/spin/flight/variation.

And I'm just trying to get used to the tactics, but they have potential. I am assuming basic interface managers have a default set of tactics to use?

Yep, with the basic tactics a simple, but hopefully sensible, default set of tactics is used.

Also, how long are the matches? 3 day or 4 day?

EDIT: I've created an 8-team league, called The Zoraxis. I reccomend you all join ;) Matches start this Thursday. FC games, and since Friendlies are 4 days, I assume this will be a 5 day competition.

All of the matches are 4 day matches at the moment, friendlies and first class.

Thanks for the feedback!

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I must say, the game looks brilliant so far!

Playing a friendly against a system managed team (MCC). Looks like a went a little gun ho with my bowling initially, they raced to 100/0 in 21 overs by the first session :p I've pulled it back a bit though, toned down the bowling aggression and now it is 148/3 at lunch :)

The commentary looks great too. Not many repeated lines, and the little images next to each line are awesome :) Can we submit commentary of our own to the game?

I'd like to know what are you planning to develop in the game? Other nations, effects of experience, proper 'official' leagues, etc.? I haven't seen training in action yet, would like to see how that works, and the draft idea seems interesting. I've got a few ideas on how experience can be implemented, I could PM them to you if you are interested?

Oh, and The Zoraxis has shut down :( Didn't get enough teams. Hoping the other comps I signed up for are still going to go ahead!

KBC

Panel of Selectors
I'm stunned at all this!

The Blind Society vs Mayan Cricket Club
17 November 2008 at The Lion Stands - Friendly (4 day)

Start: 10:30. Lunch: 12:30. Afternoon session: 13:15. Tea: 15:15. Evening session: 15:30. Close: 17:30.
Mayan Cricket Club won the toss and elected to bat.
Day 1 - evening session.
The Blind Society trail by 248 runs with 8 wickets remaining.
First innings of Mayan Cricket Club
287 for 10. 61.5 overs.
N.P. Candler
94*
J. O'Shaughnessy
F.J. Eele
M.F.P. Harrison
56/4
R.B. Rosenwater
56/3
O.G. Ablack
62/2

First innings of The Blind Society
39 for 2. 18 overs.
J. Cobden
19*
G.N. Wake

M.I. Harper
2/1
R. Mercer
12/1

The Blind Society XI: J. Cobden, +W.P.R. Freeling, G.N. Wake, S.F. Willetts, *U.J. Knight, R. Rushton, G.W. Wiggs, K.P. Mounteney, R.B. Rosenwater, O.G. Ablack, M.F.P. Harrison

Mayan Cricket Club XI: F.J. Eele, *J. O'Shaughnessy, N.T. Smith, +H.D. Marsland, N.P. Candler, L.U. Birtle, M.L. Murley, M.I. Harper, R. Mercer, K.F. Wright, L.K. Wilson
Notes
Day 1 : Lunch
First innings of Mayan Cricket Club 148 for 3
(Marsland 15*, Candler 7*)
Day 1 : Tea
First innings of The Blind Society 5 for 1
(Wake 2*, Cobden 3*)

Mayan Cricket Club first innings R B M 4s 6s SR
F.J. Eele Caught Knight Harrison 53 64 75 3 0 82.81
J. O'Shaughnessy LBW Ablack 62 87 102 4 0 71.26
N.T. Smith C & B Ablack 6 19 19 0 0 31.58
H.D. Marsland LBW Rosenwater 44 62 67 4 0 70.97
N.P. Candler Not out 94 95 115 8 1 98.95
L.U. Birtle Caught Rushton Rosenwater 8 10 11 0 0 80.00
M.L. Murley Caught Cobden Rosenwater 0 2 1 0 0 0.00
M.I. Harper Caught Wake Knight 5 11 12 0 0 45.45
R. Mercer Caught Freeling Harrison 0 3 2 0 0 0.00
K.F. Wright Caught Willetts Harrison 7 18 21 1 0 38.89
L.K. Wilson LBW Harrison 0 5 7 0 0 0.00
Extras Byes 0, Leg byes 3, Wides 0, No balls 5 8
Total (for 10, 61.5 overs) 287 RR: 4.64
Fall of wicket: 1-103 (Eele, 21.2 ov) 2-122 (Smith, 26.5 ov) 3-133 (O'Shaughnessy, 28.6 ov) 4-220 (Marsland, 45.5 ov) 5-240 (Birtle, 49.1 ov) 6-240 (Murley, 49.3 ov) 7-257 (Harper, 52.6 ov) 8-258 (Mercer, 53.4 ov) 9-282 (Wright, 59.5 ov) 10-287 (Wilson, 61.5 ov)
Bowler O M R W Econ Extras
R.B. Rosenwater 12.0 0 56 3 4.67 (1nb)
K.P. Mounteney 10.0 0 51 0 5.10 (3nb)
M.F.P. Harrison 14.5 0 56 4 3.78 -
U.J. Knight 12.0 0 59 1 4.92 (1nb)
O.G. Ablack 13.0 1 62 2 4.77 -
Notes

* Mayan Cricket Club: 50 off 64 balls
* F.J. Eele: 50 off 60 balls (3 x 4)
* Mayan Cricket Club: 100 off 125 balls
* J. O'Shaughnessy: 50 off 73 balls (3 x 4)
* Mayan Cricket Club: 150 off 209 balls
* Mayan Cricket Club: 200 off 258 balls
* N.P. Candler: 50 off 52 balls (4 x 4, 1 x 6)
* Mayan Cricket Club: 250 off 309 balls

Amazing, simply amazing!

lsaling

School Cricketer
Having a friendly against Table Top. Rookie fast bowler Law "the enforcer" claimed a couple of vital scalps and we dismissed them for 246.

The commentary looks really great. A nice clean layout with those important event icons on the side. And like the range of choices for match tactics, wider aggression levels. Makes you feel more in control of the play.

Agree with Zorak, would like to see more skills. And a wider array of training options. In my view having just primary makes training choices and selections slightly too simplistic.

Anyway top job so far!

cchamp

School Cricketer
I'm glad people are enjoying their matches.

Agree with Zorak, would like to see more skills. And a wider array of training options. In my view having just primary makes training choices and selections slightly too simplistic.

With the player skills: the batting skill is made up of a general batting ability, batting judgement and batting against spin, seam and swing. Bowling skill consists of accuracy and seam/swing/reverse swing or spin/flight/variations depending on the type of the bowler. I haven't explicitly exposed these aspects of the skills as I'd like them to be 'discovered' through players' performances and also the commentary.

I think adding those areas to the training options too should make training richer too. Training reports will have been produced this morning too so you can see if there are any improvements in your players.

cchamp added 10 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Can we submit commentary of our own to the game?

There's no mechanism in the game at the moment to submit your own commentary but if people are keen to do it I can rush it through :)

I'd like to know what are you planning to develop in the game? Other nations, effects of experience, proper 'official' leagues, etc.? I haven't seen training in action yet, would like to see how that works, and the draft idea seems interesting. I've got a few ideas on how experience can be implemented, I could PM them to you if you are interested?

Oh, and The Zoraxis has shut down :( Didn't get enough teams. Hoping the other comps I signed up for are still going to go ahead!

For experience I have no master plan at the moment. Any ideas gratefully received however you want to get them to me!

I'm not planning any 'official' leagues as I think it'd be good if people commission their own. However, I'd like to extend the options available to a commissioner, e.g. adding more leagues with promotion/relegation and more formats for the league, e.g. top two in the league play off for the title.

The league fixtures are currently prepared a week in advance of the first match so if not enough people have signed up before then, then the league won't run. As long as 75% of the maximum number of teams sign up the league will go ahead.

Cheers

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just Registered :)

Team name is Kolkata Knight Riders :D

Anyone for a match ;)

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Bring it on. I'm always open to matches.

I like your system regarding skills. Many won't, but I'm all for having a very rough idea on your player, and discovering how they do on your own. I'm following this friendly closely. It is brilliant.

Oh, and so the commentary means stuff? And edged four is different from a well struck four?

cchamp

School Cricketer
Oh, and so the commentary means stuff? And edged four is different from a well struck four?

Yeah, the commentary is a reaction to the match engine. So, if the player plays a really good shot the commentary can reflect it. Similarly if the delivery is outstanding, that is reflected too. Also, the quality of the fielding is described so if it's a really hard catch or run out that will come out in the commentary.

So you should see you best batsmen batting well and your tail enders scratching around a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread