New Website Help

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Need some advice please !

My nephew wants to start up his own website and forum (I think this is for practise as he wants to be a web designer when he leaves school) so can anybody advise on the following

-whats the easiest (or best ) way of getting web space (for free initially if possible?)
-what the easiest/most friendly software to use to set up a forum. He doesn't really want the forum to be used by anybody, he just wants to get experience in how to set one up etc

Member with best response gets promoted to staff.............erm or something ;)

no seriously any pointers in the right direction will be much appreciated

thanks
zim

Brett_Lee

International Coach
zimrahil said:
Need some advice please !

My nephew wants to start up his own website and forum (I think this is for practise as he wants to be a web designer when he leaves school) so can anybody advise on the following

-whats the easiest (or best ) way of getting web space (for free initially if possible?)
-what the easiest/most friendly software to use to set up a forum. He doesn't really want the forum to be used by anybody, he just wants to get experience in how to set one up etc

Member with best response gets promoted to staff.............erm or something ;)

no seriously any pointers in the right direction will be much appreciated

thanks
zim

Easiest way is to go to a directory www.freewebspace.net/forums find the right one for you

For Free i would go either
http://www.phpbb.com
http://www.mybboard.com (i prefer this one cause its very similar to vbulletin in the way it works)

mybb is very easy to install.

If he wants a program use dreamweaver

sid_19840

International Coach
Why not just register and start a Invisionfree forum?,it wont need any webspace or ftp uploading,all it needs is registering and starting a forum.Its a reasonably good forum software as well.

EDIT:If it seems too easy and too little to learn then Id recommend phpbb as a forum software.

Brett_Lee

International Coach
sid_19840 said:
Why not just register and start a Invisionfree forum?,it wont need any webspace or ftp uploading,all it needs is registering and starting a forum.Its a reasonably good forum software as well.

EDIT:If it seems too easy and too little to learn then Id recommend phpbb as a forum software.
even though u said edit il just say he needed the experience :p

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Thanks for everybodies replies :)

He is 14 and has no experience of building websites, so something simpler to start off with the better

Well I have loads to go on here, so I will go and discuss it with him

Thanks all again

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
If he wants to go into web-design as a prospective future career, he'd probably be better off learning the basics--such as the languages. It's actually not that hard to pick up when you're young--I picked up HTML when I was about 8-10 years old. Of course, HTML is slightly outdated for today, so he'd best concentrate on CSS/XHTML. Once he gets some experience actually manouevering the page as he likes, he can delve into databases/PHP/etc. for scripting (probably slightly down the line--although I don't know how smart kids these days get, :p).

So, I think, he probably doesn't need about 5 gigs of space. When I first started out web-design, I did it on local files on my computer. While you can't do any dynamic stuff with that, what you can do is download software such as Netserver, which sets up a web server (Apache) on your computer, and you can pretty much use it like a real webserver. The only downside, of course, would be that it wouldn't be publicly accessible. However, it seems like he just wants to tinker with it, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Netserver also has the options to install MySQL and PHP, so he would also be able to get hands-on experience of installing large scripts onto a webserver and such.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Well I'm 13, have no ambition of taking web design further, and am the manager of The Cricket Project's official site! I would recommend to him to get a nice host like Byethost with a Cpanel and learn how to upload a few things with FTP. That way everything will be easy to him when/if he goes into the pro scene.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Come now, but learning how to learn FTP gives you no semblance of how to develop websites. Also, cPanel is fast being phased out by other (lesser) alternatives. And besides, none of them pertain directly to web-design as such.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread