2nd ODI - England v New Zealand

Sun Jun 14 (50 ovs)
3rd ODI - England v New Zealand

Wed Jun 17 (50 ovs)
4th ODI - England v New Zealand

Sat Jun 20 (50 ovs)
5th ODI - England v New Zealand

BLACKCAPS Test Squad

Brendon McCullum (SBS Otago Volts, captain)
Corey Anderson (SKYCITY Northern Knights)
Trent Boult (SKYCITY Northern Knights)
Doug Bracewell (Devon Hotel Central Stags)
Mark Craig (SBS Otago Volts)
Martin Guptill (Mondiale Auckland Aces)
Matt Henry (Canterbury)
Tom Latham (Canterbury)
Luke Ronchi (Wellington Firebirds)
Hamish Rutherford (SBS Otago Volts)
Tim Southee (SKYCITY Northern Knights)
Ross Taylor (Devon Hotel Central Stags)
Neil Wagner (SBS Otago Volts)
BJ Watling (SKYCITY Northern Knights)
Kane Williamson (SKYCITY Northern Knights)

BLACKCAPS ODI and T20I Squad
Brendon McCullum (SBS Otago Volts, captain)
Corey Anderson (SKYCITY Northern Knights)
Trent Boult (SKYCITY Northern Knights)
Grant Elliott (Wellington Firebirds)
Martin Guptill (Mondiale Auckland Aces)
Matt Henry (Canterbury)
Tom Latham (Canterbury)
Mitchell McClenaghan (Mondiale Auckland Aces)
Nathan McCullum (SBS Otago Volts)
Adam Milne (Devon Hotel Central Stags)
Luke Ronchi (Wellington Firebirds)
Mitchell Santner (SKYCITY Northern Knights)
Tim Southee (SKYCITY Northern Knights)
Ross Taylor (Devon Hotel Central Stags)
Kane Williamson (SKYCITY Northern Knights)

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
ODI squad hasn't changed much and why should it. I fear a new look England could be in for a tough time in that series, but it'll be good for them in the long run.

The test squad looks strong also. I think England will go in as slight favourites, as people like Bell, Trott and Cook will probably play the conditions better than the likes of Taylor, McCullum, Rutherford or Anderson. In addition, some of the NZ players will miss the warm ups due to IPL commitments, meaning their first innings in England will be at Lord's in the test match. If Jimmy Anderson is swinging it around corners, then they could be in for a torrid time.

Do NZ fans think McCullum will open or bat down at 5? I think he's probably better off letting someone like Rutherford take the new ball, and then causing carnage himself when the ball is at least 30 overs old.

The other interesting selection issue is whether they feel the need to play Craig. Let's face it, he's not really a spin bowler. He's a batsman who bowls. In early summer, the selectors may decide that conditions warrant an extra seamer. Someone like Matt Henry could do a lot of damage in English conditions. As an England fan, I'd be more comfortable watching Craig take to the field than Henry or Bracewell.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think the main reason why England would be favourites in the test series is the IPL, as the conditions will suit our bowlers a lot as well.

McCullum won't open, he only does that in the subcontinent.

I'm surprised that Rutherford is still in the squad, he hasn't performed too well recently. I'm also surprised Brownlie isn't in too, he's been doing pretty well opening domestically.

I don't know why you think Craig is a batsman who bowls, that'd be someone like Todd Astle. Craig is a proper spinner, though a pretty average one. I feel like it would be reasonably likely for both Henry and Bracewell to play though.

I like Santner's inclusion in the squad. It's rather unlikely he'll get a game, but he performs a pretty similar role to Vettori

War

Chairman of Selectors
No way could one put ENG as favourites based on recent test form of either side. NZ for me should be confident of winning their third test series in England in history and the first since they won in 99 and rendered England to one of their lowest moment of the last 25, when they were ranked the worst test team in the world.

Chewie

BCCI President
Test is very different from ODIs, they have home advantage, we're playing IPL right beforehand and we have one not very good opener and one somewhat unproven one

bigred

Club Captain
No way could one put ENG as favourites based on recent test form of either side. NZ for me should be confident of winning their third test series in England in history and the first since they won in 99 and rendered England to one of their lowest moment of the last 25, when they were ranked the worst test team in the world.

England's recent test form= they've won their last three matches.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Test is very different from ODIs, they have home advantage, we're playing IPL right beforehand and we have one not very good opener and one somewhat unproven one

Yes your opening situation has been the one area since NZ revival in tests that has been a bit the Achilles heel. Latham coming along ok and your hoping Guptil translates his ODI form into tests finally.

But i don't view that and the IPL stuff as reason to give ENG the "home advantage edge ATM. ENG conditions are very similar to NZ & you guys were able to secure a excellent drawn series in UAE vs PAK that toppled AUS quiet comfortably, which is much bigger challenge historically for any NZ team than coming to ENG.

War

Chairman of Selectors
England's recent test form= they've won their last three matches.

Vs a IND team that were so bad it masked a lot ENGs deficiency. Fact is ENG have not been properly tested in tests since the Ashes thrashing, just like how the ODI/T20 has been tested, exposed and embarrassed since then.

We don't have a settled opening pair with Cook, how good the new middle order is up for debate with the KP saga around, Moeen Ali being the real deal as spin bowling all-rounder is up for question.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
ODI series will be interesting for England as well, presumably at least Anderson will get rested, quite possibly Broad as well (a 'rested'?).

bigred

Club Captain
ODI series will be interesting for England as well, presumably at least Anderson will get rested, quite possibly Broad as well (a 'rested'?).

Would be amazed if Anderson plays another limited overs game for England, and quite surprised if Broad does this summer.

England have got a real chance this summer to play an exciting eleven. Something like

1. Ali/Roy
2. Hales
3. Vince
4. Root c
5. Taylor/Morgan
6. Stokes
7. Buttler
8. Woakes
9. Jordan
10. Willey
11. Briggs/Parry

I also think the best way for KP to play for England again is in t20 cricket. There's a WC coming up, and with his experience in this form of the game, he'd be a real asset.

1. Ali/Roy/Vince
2. Hales
3. Pietersen
4. Root c
5. Stokes
6. Morgan
7. Buttler
8. Jordan
9. Willey
10. Bresnan/ Topley/ Rankin
11. Briggs/ Parry

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I'd expect Taylor would take Vince's place in your ODI lineup there. Also worry we're going to stick with bell, hopefully the openers can perform in the Ireland game and put huge pressure to keep their place. On a side note presumably tomorrow we'll see something like :

Hales
Roy
Vince
Taylor
Bairstow
Billings
Willey
Rashid
Bresnan
Wood
Finn

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I think the Kiwi side is shaping up to be pretty interesting. With all the players who are currently in the IPL, they've been able to really try out some left-field picks for the warm-up.

The most impressive by far has been Ben Wheeler. Another left-arm seamer, he finished with figures of 11-6-18-5 in the first innings against Somerset, conceding only five scoring shots. The five wickets were Johann Myburgh, Tom Cooper, James Hildreth, Jim Allenby and Josh Davey, so it's not like he's just cleaning up the tail either. He completely and utterly out-bowled Bracewell and Wagner, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him catapulted into the side. Could mean that the Kiwis end up playing something like:

- Martin Guptill
- Tom Latham
- Kane Williamson
- Ross Taylor
- Brendon McCullum :c:
- Corey Anderson
- BJ Watling :wk:
- Tim Southee
- Ben Wheeler
- Trent Boult
- Matt Henry (?)

The only place I'm not sure about is that last bowler's spot - they could pick a spinner and give it to Craig (or even Santner if they keep him around), or just go with a five-pronged seam attack and pick Henry, Wagner or Bracewell (in that order).

Either way, that looks like a 2-0 series-winning side to me.

Also, nice to see a touring side playing a first-class game against the Somerset first team rather than two two-dayers against St Kitts & Somerset B team.

Chewie

BCCI President
They won't get added to the squad unless there's an injury

Users who are viewing this thread