Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
So, New Zealand players and coaches have serious concerns about the security situation in Pakistan after the Taliban takeover in Afghanistan.

They have every right to assure their security, but this hardly makes any sense. What has a Taliban takeover in Afghanistan got to do with Pakistan? It's like teams refusing to tour New Zealand after something happened in Australia.

I just hope this tour isn't postponed!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
What has a Taliban takeover in Afghanistan got to do with Pakistan?
Quite a lot. Certainly to the point where people would be concerned it could embolden Islamic militants within Pakistan. Whether it is fair not or it may well cause concern for players in deciding whether or not they play in Pakistan.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Quite a lot. Certainly to the point where people would be concerned it could embolden Islamic militants within Pakistan. Whether it is fair not or it may well cause concern for players in deciding whether or not they play in Pakistan.

Taliban were in power in Afghanistan in the 90s too, and teams kept touring. Hopefully that will continue to be the case now.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Taliban were in power in Afghanistan in the 90s too, and teams kept touring. Hopefully that will continue to be the case now.
I'm not sure if anyone (your average person) really knew who the Taliban were until 2001. You're too young to remember but the world has changed significantly in the last 20 years. :p

I hope it doesn't stop teams from touring but even a perceived increase in risk, especially after 12 months of restrictions from covid, might make some players feel it isn't worth it.

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

That's a political debate, but Cricket-wise, I don't think there are any serious risks for them. When the Taliban were ruling Afghanistan in the 90s and 2000, many teams played Test matches in Peshawar, which is 35 kilometres from the Afghanistan border. One of the teams (I can't remember which one it was) even took a day trip to the Afghanistan border and returned safely.

Nevertheless, to be fair, the players are humans as well and they have the right to opt-out if they don't feel too safe. Plus, they are of course not very familiar with the ground realities so they can have some concerns. But as a team, I hope they will have no issues after checking the situation thoroughly.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
New Zealand have arrived after 18 long years :cheers

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Just a sad day.
Won't stain this forum with political talk, but maybe our security establishment should’ve thought twice before supporting the Stone Age militants across the border.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
I truly hope it turns out to be nothing. I don't blame NZC for being cautious. If it turns out to be nothing maybe we don't see England cancel their tour. However, on the other hand if there is even the slightest risk, I don't blame NZC or ECB for cancelling.

I just hope we can learn something before assigning blame to anyone, because at this time we just don't know.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I still dont understand where the security risk is coming from... How did that independent security consulting agency (ESI Risk - from what I read on Cricinfo) come to the conclusion on the heightened risk? Without knowing those details, its perfectly understandable that Pakistan fans and their people are livid with this decision.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I can’t judge NZC’s call to cancel the tour, because we don’t know about the threat.
But we have every right to be furious, especially as there’s been no communication to the PCB or the Pakistan government about said threat, and the decision to cancel was made completely unilaterally. I mean, when the Prime Minister is personally guaranteeing your safety, you still make this decision without bothering to communicate with the other side?
Also, this is from Cricinfo.

1EECD1B3-BC7B-4275-913F-6E546AB540E6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread