New Zealand's Tour Of India Aug-Sep 2012

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I understand that, Shrav. Also, I am not a fanboy either. It's just that I hate when people start calling for someone's head for no real reason. Tell me who is another keeper bat who can take Dhoni's place in all 3 formats? Kohli can lead the side but, why put an extra burden so early on him especially when he's having a time of his life. And, it isn't that Dhoni hasn't done anything. He has finished/won us matches in the past.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Thing is we (most of Indian fans) are eveready to jump on people. I am amazed how can 0-8 be wholly blamed on Dhoni or his leadership. If all 11 players don't perform then how can we blame only one person? If I recall correctly, he had a good tour of England and was India's 2nd best batsman after Dravid?

Amit Mishra was 2nd best after Dravid in the Tests. :rolleyes

Cricket Records | Records | Pataudi Trophy, 2011 - India | Batting and bowling averages | ESPN Cricinfo

----------

Dhoni came through in the ODIs on both tours though.

England 2011
1cb25278542c4f30ac23d1e.png

Australia 2011
63067340b57241398922712.png

6e9875e1570f43b5a63382d.png

----------

I understand that, Shrav. Also, I am not a fanboy either. It's just that I hate when people start calling for someone's head for no real reason. Tell me who is another keeper bat who can take Dhoni's place in all 3 formats? Kohli can lead the side but, why put an extra burden so early on him especially when he's having a time of his life. And, it isn't that Dhoni hasn't done anything. He has finished/won us matches in the past.

Exactly, and plus Kohli is like 23, you'd have to be absolutely mental to make him captain right now.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
There's an old saying, a captain is only as good as his crew, only so much you can do when 10 other guys are performing below par along with you. I find it almost laughable when India fans bring up luck and Dhoni, losers excuse, but in most cases we've been the winners.

Agreed,but here the crew is still good as was evident from the fact that a Cancer-return smashed 35 0ff what 25 ? And the captain was the only one with a below 100 strike rate[bar Gambhir].

If the pitch did slow down, then it should have done so for the other batsmen as well. On a typical Chepauk wicket,you would generally see teams batting first after winning the toss- what was the logic/madness in bowling first ?

Exactly, and plus Kohli is like 23, you'd have to be absolutely mental to make him captain right now.

There lies the problem. You simply dont want to give it to a youngster. Whats the harm in doing so- He may be able to inject fresh ideas into the team too. Graeme Smith took over when none expected him to do so.

Agreed that Kohli has not fixed himself a permanent test spot, but that can and should go to Gautam Gambhir seeing that your current captain finds excuses of 'Adaptability'.

TBH, each of MSD's statements have begun to get on my nerves. Observe what he comments and you will find out the contradictory statements yourself.

----------

Here's something I picked up from Facebook.

422875_376690602399528_1484219430_n.jpg

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Agreed,but here the crew is still good as was evident from the fact that a Cancer-return smashed 35 0ff what 25 ? And the captain was the only one with a below 100 strike rate[bar Gambhir].

If the pitch did slow down, then it should have done so for the other batsmen as well. On a typical Chepauk wicket,you would generally see teams batting first after winning the toss- what was the logic/madness in bowling first ?

No one is saying Dhoni's not at fault here(at least I'm not), he is, but to ask for his sacking is going way overboard. Now bowling first at Chepauk, it's just one of those things, had we won no one would've even said a damn thing about it and I'm pretty sure he knows Chepauk better than all of us here, he's played 5 seasons there for CSK.

There lies the problem. You simply dont want to give it to a youngster. Whats the harm in doing so- He may be able to inject fresh ideas into the team too. Graeme Smith took over when none expected him to do so.

Agreed that Kohli has not fixed himself a permanent test spot, but that can and should go to Gautam Gambhir seeing that your current captain finds excuses of 'Adaptability'.

TBH, each of MSD's statements have begun to get on my nerves. Observe what he comments and you will find out the contradictory statements yourself.

You just won't know unless you actually give him a go and that's the risk in all this, a risk that we don't have to take, Dhoni's doing a damn good job, if you can't realize then I'm sorry for you. Gambhir as Test captain - He should first look to secure his place as a Test player, an average of 30 at the top of the order in the last 2 years, unacceptable is the word.

----------

Funny pic btw. :thumbs

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
If the pitch did slow down, then it should have done so for the other batsmen as well.

I posted about this. Yuvraj started well, but he was as slow as Dhoni in the last few overs.

For the next 32 balls after Kohli got out, Yuvraj scored 8 off 11, Dhoni scored 17 off 21. So that IS both batsmen going slow. Either it was the pitch as Dhoni says, or just some good Kiwi bowling (more likely...). Maybe some bad batting too, but if so, it was by BOTH players.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I don't blame Dhoni's decision for batting second at Chepauk. He almost pulled it off (by a run). For most part of the innings, India looked in command and on track to comfortably win it. I am not sure how the pitch suddenly slowed down that much. Initially when Kohli and Yuvraj batted, Kohli was batting so well that Yuvraj eased into the game and that's why his strike rate was also initially healthy. But once Dhoni came in and played slow, it rubbed off on Yuvraj and as the required rate mounted, Yuvraj was pressured and this being his comeback game, he could not deliver as effectively.

Dhoni takes some blame for our loss this game. But his decision at the toss was not totally illogical or madness.

S

Satan666

I don't blame Dhoni's decision for batting second at Chepauk. He almost pulled it off (by a run). For most part of the innings, India looked in command and on track to comfortably win it. I am not sure how the pitch suddenly slowed down that much. Initially when Kohli and Yuvraj batted, Kohli was batting so well that Yuvraj eased into the game and that's why his strike rate was also initially healthy. But once Dhoni came in and played slow, it rubbed off on Yuvraj and as the required rate mounted, Yuvraj was pressured and this being his comeback game, he could not deliver as effectively.

Dhoni takes some blame for our loss this game. But his decision at the toss was not totally illogical or madness.

Dhoni is totally to blame, you guys regard him as the best finisher, lolz he misjudged his inns, pure failure!

AnshtheDj

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
While we're at it evaluating MSD's knock in the particular T20 match against the Kiwis at Chennai,
there has been an interesting bit of development regarding Team India's official jersey in upcoming T20 WC in Sri Lanka.
Last month Team India's official apparel partner Nike launched new jersey having Indian national flag on its left side
for our limited overs team. Couple of players like Yuvraj, Kohli, Sehwag had good words to say for their new jersey.
Now we didn't get to see our team getting into the park in that jersey in T20 match against NZ.

A local newspaper in my region has alleged none other than N. Shrinivasan as the man behind this incredulous move.
Reportedly, Shrini got this wonderful bit of insight from his trusted astrologer, who suggested that the new jersey will not prove
lucky for Team India and it was a last minute intervention from our esteemed BCCI president that prevented any catastrophic disaster
that might have struck our players had they donned the new jersey. :D
Apparently this is the reason the team put on their old jersey used in recent ODI series against SL in July.
As reported in the daily, Team India is going to put on same jersey in upcoming T20 WC, which is the exact jersey
used by our team in ICC CWC'11, albeit the new ones will have official T20 WC emblem on their right side.:eek:

Don't know what to make of this bit of news as, to quote our captain, the pitch conspired to enable our team
to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in Chennai, in spite wearing the lucky charm jersey.
While it sounds like a sensational bit of news much in the lines of India TV, the kind which are TRP-drivers
in the Prime-Time television and print media in India, it also does fuel the years-old allegation of luck favoring MSD
to win matches for India, under the tutelage of Mr. Shirinivasan and K. Shrikkanth.

My take: It's a classic Shrini move, only he has the wand to conjure such a wizardry.:facepalm

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I think his time is up. He needs to give up at least one format of captaincy. IMO- he should give up on Test matches, but don't think that would happen unless we lose to Afghanistan.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I posted about this. Yuvraj started well, but he was as slow as Dhoni in the last few overs.

For the next 32 balls after Kohli got out, Yuvraj scored 8 off 11, Dhoni scored 17 off 21. So that IS both batsmen going slow. Either it was the pitch as Dhoni says, or just some good Kiwi bowling (more likely...). Maybe some bad batting too, but if so, it was by BOTH players.

I appreciate your effort of trying to explain to people about why not to blame Dhoni but these guys are Dhoni haters and they won't a hear single thing from you and will keep arguing. So no point of wasting your time because neither of us will decide Dhoni's future. ;) No offense to anybody.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
In the midst of all the hatred, Dhoni has been named captain of the ICC ODI team.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
No one here is a Dhoni hater. Just to get it right. But the facts speak for themselves. Cannot help if you are too blind to see that.

Btw, his inclusion and naming him captain of the ICC XI does not surprise me one bit. The team that they have selected is grossly stupid. You dont seem to find the likes of Amla or De Villiers in. But you do have a great cricketer leading it who led his side to 'zero' finals last year.[+ 1 defeat vs Bangaldesh]

3 Cheers for the ICC :cheers

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Facts, what facts? This whole discussion has been opinion based.

Btw.

Several South African batsmen who are near the top of the ODI rankings - such as Hashim Amla (currently No. 1) and AB de Villiers (No. 3) - are likely to have missed out because South Africa played very few ODIs between August 4, 2011 and August 6, 2012, the assessment period for picking the team.*

The team was announced on the eve of the ICC's annual awards function that will be held in Colombo on Saturday. It was picked by a panel consisting of former players: West Indies batsmen Clive Lloyd and Carl Hooper, Sri Lanka opener Marvan Attapatu, Australia allrounder Tom Moody and England Women's captain Clare Connor. The same panel had picked the Test Team of the Year last month.

ICC awards 2012 : MS Dhoni leads ICC's one-day Team of the Year | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | ESPN Cricinfo

Users who are viewing this thread