Official ODI Status for Tsunami Relief Match

sohum

Executive member
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Location
San Francisco, CA
Profile Flag
India
Stepping away from tradition the International Cricket Council has granted official one-day international status to the two matches that will be played to raise funds for the victims of South Asia's tsunami tragedy. Ehsan Mani, the ICC president, said that the decision to grant official ODI status had been ratified by the board.

"The ICC Board is of the view that due to the extraordinary circumstances that have brought about these two matches an exception to the existing rules should be made," he said. "This decision applies only to these two matches and does not change the status of other one-day matches from the past or in the future."


The first World Cricket Tsunami Appeal match is set to be played in Melbourne on Monday, January 10. An ICC World XI, which includes top players from Australia, England, New Zealand and the West Indies, locks horns with an ACC Asian XI, which includes leading players from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.


The ICC also announced that "the proceeds from the match in Melbourne will be donated to the global relief and development organization, World Vision, which is dedicated to helping children and their communities worldwide."

http://ind.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2005/JAN/150346_WCI_07JAN2005.html
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top