Tennis Official Wimbledon 2010 Thread

Amar791849

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
Wimbledon, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and is generally considered the most prestigious.[2][3][4][5] It has been held at the All England Club in the London suburb of Wimbledon since 1877. It is one of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments, and the only one still played on the game's original surface, grass, which gave the game of lawn tennis its name.

The tournament takes place over two weeks in late June and early July, culminating with the ladies' and gentlemen's singles final, scheduled respectively for the second Saturday and Sunday. Each year, five major events are contested, as well as four junior events and four invitational events.

The hard court Australian Open and clay court French Open precede Wimbledon in the calendar year. The hard court US Open follows. For men, the grass court AEGON Championships, also in London, as well as the Gerry Weber Open in Halle, Germany, serve as respective warm-up events. For women, the AEGON Classic in Birmingham and 2 joint events, the UNICEF Open in 's-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands and the AEGON International Eastbourne serve as warm-up events to Wimbledon.

Wimbledon traditions include the eating of strawberries and cream, drinking Pimms spritzers, royal patronage and a strict dress code for competitors. In 2009, Wimbledon's Centre Court was fitted with a retractable roof to ensure against the possibility of rain delays interrupting Centre Court matches during the tournament.

Source:wikipedia

Defending Champions:
Roger federer(Switzerland)[Mens Singles]
Serena Williams(america)[Womens Singles]
Daniel Nestor& Nenad Zimonjić [Men's Doubles]
Serena Williams& Venus Williams[women's Doubles]
Mark Knowles & Anna-Lena Gr?nefeld[Mixed Doubles]

LongLegs?

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Federer's 2 sets down!

Come on Monfils. :) Won the first set 6-1, on serve in the second set.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Federer could be extremely lucky here because Falla has picked up some kind of groin or hamstring strain.

LongLegs?

Club Cricketer
Monfils saves 5 set points to win the tie-break. Generally, Monfils saving one set point is a big deal. And he's done something to his knee now too! I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this point...

4 break points for Falla to lead 5-4 in the 3rd...but Federer saves them all!

And, Florian Mayer leads Cilic 5-1...had 2 set points but just lost them.

Hilarious I tell you, freaking hilarious.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Falla throws away the chance to win the game as Federer breaks him at 5-4. Come on Falla, break back straight away!

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't understand why the fans want Federer to win. We are known for supporting the underdogs and there is no bigger underdog than Falla at this moment. Two sets apiece now, Federer will probably win.

LongLegs?

Club Cricketer
Yeah, not digging the crowd at the moment myself.

Federer breaks in the 5th, should be over.

ARay

County Cricketer
Federer played aweful! He really need to improve his game if he wants to win a 7th title.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I couldn't believe this, when I read it.

Page last updated at 20:17 GMT, Wednesday, 23 June 2010 21:17 UK

Wimbledon 2010: Epic halted at 59-59 in fifth set

John Isner and Nicolas Mahut tore up the record books as their epic first-round contest at Wimbledon became the longest in tennis history.

The match was locked at 59-59 in the final set after 10 hours of play when it was suspended because of bad light.

The decision meant that, incredibly, the contest would go into a third day, having been called off at two sets all on Tuesday for the same reason.

Isner, with 98, and Mahut (95) have also both smashed the previous record for the most aces, the 78 set by Ivo Karlovic in a Davis Cup tie in 2009.

The previous longest match was at the French Open in 2004, when Fabrice Santoro beat Arnaud Clement after six hours and 35 minutes.

The longest at Wimbledon had been the famous battle in the days before tie-breaks between Pancho Gonzales and Charlie Pasarell in 1969, which took five hours 12 minutes and finished 22-24 1-6 16-14 6-3 11-9 to Gonzales.

There was no indication of the drama that was about to unfold when Isner and Mahut resumed on Tuesday afternoon locked at two sets all.

But fans quickly crammed into court 18 - capacity 782 - as word spread about the historic contest and every possible vantage point outside was taken.

Towards the end, the umpire's voice was going, rallies had become collectors' items and the scoreboard was broken because it could not cope with the alien numbers.

Just after 2110 BST, Mahut complained that he was having difficulty seeing the ball and the decision was taken to suspend play.

Initially the crowd, desperate to see the match through to its conclusion, booed and chanted "We want more!" but as the players left they were given a huge standing ovation - a fitting tribute to two gladiators.

The eventual winner will play Thiemo De Bakker of the Netherlands in the next round, who was involved in another marathon battle with Santiago Giraldo, before coming through 16-14 in the final set - although that match lasted a mere four hours and six minutes.

In a week of records, Novak Djokovic's first-round match against Olivier Rochus was the latest-ever finish at Wimbledon, while Taylor Dent's 148mph serve against Djokovic in round two was the fastest recorded at the All England club.

After his match against Dent had finished, Djokovic was asked about the Isner-Mahut contest and said all the players were watching it in the locker rooms.

He added: "I'm amazed they could both hold their serve that comfortably all day. It's unbelievable. Maybe they should have agreed to play a tie-break at 50-all!"

Six-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer, whose earlier second round win over Ilija Bozoljac was eclipsed by events on court 18, added: "I love this! I don't know if I was crying or laughing. It was too much."

BBC Sport - Tennis - Wimbledon 2010: Epic halted at 59-59 in fifth set

ZexyZahid added 1 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Page last updated at 22:35 GMT, Wednesday, 23 June 2010 23:35 UK

John McEnroe on Isner and Mahut Wimbledon epic

John Isner and Nicolas Mahut's epic match on Court 18 is the greatest advertisement we've ever had for our sport beyond the spectacle of a Wimbledon final like Roger Federer versus Rafa Nadal.

BBC Sport - Tennis - John McEnroe on Isner and Mahut Wimbledon epic

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
That is crazy did they play 10 hours straight or did they have a tea break? 59-59 in the tie breaker says it all, the longest I've seen was Federer and Saffin plus Federer and Nadal which was 20 odd.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
The match was spread over two days and now there will come a third day. I believe on the first day they already played two hours. That means on the second day they played eight hours long.

I don't remember tea breaks being given in Wimbledon matches.

And this is only a first round match!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well play is usually finished by tea so they don't have to worry about that. But surely they couldn't force the players to play 8 hours without having food. Maybe during the breaks they grabbed a bit to eat as I know some usually get a banana or something like that.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, tennis players normally eat food and have some drinks during the 1 minute break.

Users who are viewing this thread