Pakistan tour of New Zealand 2009

The team for the warmup game.

New Zealand Invitation XI squad: Grant Elliott (capt), Craig Cumming, Tim McIntosh, BJ Watling, Daniel Flynn, James Franklin, Reece Young (wk), Darrell Tuffey, Tarun Nethula, Tim Southee, Ian O'Brien, Brent Arnel.

Whoever plays well here has a great chance of playing in the first test.

It's good to see Nethula in that team, but the chances of him playing are pretty slim. Would love to see him do well though. I'm guessing it's a shootout between Tuffey, Southee, Arnel and O'Brien for a place in the 1st test.

Ok, so it's pretty much NZ A vs Pakistan in this warm up match.

You would except McIntosh and Flynn to both play in the first test.
I guess Franklin and Elliot are both playing for the all-round spot.
Then Tuffey, O'Brien, Southee and Arnel will be playing for the three pace bowler positions.

So Chris Martin must have the first place in the bowling line-up, I'm guessing it will be:

Tuffey and Southee opening (Best performace between these two will see one of them opening with Martin).

Arnel and O'Brien will bowl 1st and 2nd change (Best performace between these two will see one of them as our first change bowler).

Martin
Tuffey/Southee
Arnel/O'Brien
Elliott/Franklin
Vettori

Yeah, forgot about Martin, so they are all going for two spots...

That's a good team actually, looking forward to it. If what Howsie said it right, which is seems to be, then that's good from the selectors for picking 4 guys to bowl who are going to take the 2 spots. I'd give more weight to O'Brien and Tuffey but if Arnel or Southee were outstanding i'd pick them for sure. However Nethula might have to miss out. I'd like to see them play 5 bowlers instead but they probably won't go with that.

For the openers i'd use McIntosh and Watling. Cumming is a good domestic player but i'd rather see Watling open and Cumming at 4 perhaps. Flynn should stick at 3.

Last edited:
I think this side is a clear indication that McIntosh & Flynn have been put on notice for this series, It's nice though to see Nethula get a chance to stake a claim for a spot in the test team, hopefully he does well.

Flynn needs to do somthing big this series hes had a good run in the side but has not done a lot in return 24 innings and only 4 50's is just not good enough.

Where Vettori decides to bat is going to be the big thing for me if he goes up to six Elliott and Franklin could be out of luck which means we would be going with the four front line seamers.

Going to pick a team now that I would like to see play the first test then I will pick another after the warmup with who I think they will go with.

1: Watling
2: Guptill
3: Flynn
4: Taylor
5: Ryder
6: Franklin
7: McCullum
8: Vettori
9: Southee
10: Tuffey
11: Martin

I reckon they will go with this for the first test:

1. McIntosh
2. Guptill
3. Flynn
4. Taylor
5. Ryder
6. Franklin
7. McCullum
8. Vettori
9. Tuffey
10. O'Brien
11. Martin

Is Ryder gonna be fit? I've heard he isn't.

^ I'd have that same X/i injuries pending. If Ryder is out i'd consider selecting Sinclair again. Elliot is the other choice I guess.

Even if Ryder does get fit in time, I'd much rather him play some cricket before playing for New Zealand tbh.

1. McIntosh
2. Guptill
3. Flynn
4. Taylor
5. Broom
6. Vettori/Franklin
7. McCullum
8. Tuffey/Vettori
9. Nethula/Tuffey
10. O'Brien
11. Martin

McIntosh & Flynn have to put up some runs in this series or they're gone, I'd give Broom an opputunity in his preferred format before, while Ryder is out. I think going by the selection of Nethula in the invitational side, that Vettori may want a second spinner to lighten his bowling workload as he moves into the middle order, if he performs well in the match I think he'll have a high chance of playing unless the pitch is a seamers paradise, if he doesn't perform that well they will probably stick with Franklin.

Last edited:
Im still not very convinced on Tim McIntosh. Selectors will surely stick with him though.

1. McIntosh
2. Guptill
3. Flynn
4. Taylor
5. Broom
6. Vettori/Franklin
7. McCullum
8. Tuffey/Vettori
9. Nethula/Tuffey
10. O'Brien
11. Martin

McIntosh & Flynn have to put up some runs in this series or they're gone, I'd give Broom an opputunity in his preferred format before, while Ryder is out. I think going by the selection of Nethula in the invitational side, that Vettori may want a second spinner to lighten his bowling workload as he moves into the middle order, if he performs well in the match I think he'll have a high chance of playing unless the pitch is a seamers paradise, if he doesn't perform that well they will probably stick with Franklin.

It will more likely be the case

Howsie added 0 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

Im still not very convinced on Tim McIntosh. Selectors will surely stick with him though.

You're not alone.

Broom has such a big problem with LBWs. Too easy. Don't want to see him in tests ATM TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread