Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Pakistan to easily sweep the test series. The ODIs could end in a tie. Why are there only 4 one-dayers? Why not 5?

Dingo Ate Me Baby

School Cricketer
Could well see Lyth keep his place for this one, as there is a lack of genuine in form replacements. However if I was picking the Test team I would take both Hales and Stoneman, I don't care how Hales did in the ODI's, he is the next cab off the rank and deserves a shot. And well Stoneman doesn't have a massive average but neither did Vaughan or Trescothick when they were picked for England. Although the inclusion of Stoneman would be a massive surprise.

Bairstow is a massive meh for me, scores a bucket load in the county championship but never convinces in the International arena, would much prefer Taylor to be our number 5 come the first Test.

Hearing Ansari will probably get in, not overly impressed but he is a decent enough spinner and can bat, albeit at a snails pace (and that's being kind).

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Interesting squad. Strange time to pick Hales when he is in such poor form. Feel a bit for Lyth, but he made it very hard to back him.

Dingo Ate Me Baby

School Cricketer
Interesting squad. Strange time to pick Hales when he is in such poor form. Feel a bit for Lyth, but he made it very hard to back him.

It's not that strange, everyone could have a poor ODI series, especially when your job is to get the team off to a flyer! His form in red ball cricket has been very good for Nottinghamshire and we have to find an opener because Lyth looked a touch out of his depth. Hales is definitely the best chance we have of finally finding a replacement for Strauss.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It's not that strange, everyone could have a poor ODI series, especially when your job is to get the team off to a flyer! His form in red ball cricket has been very good for Nottinghamshire and we have to find an opener because Lyth looked a touch out of his depth. Hales is definitely the best chance we have of finally finding a replacement for Strauss.

it wasn't just that he didn't score runs, he looked absolutely out of his depth. he also averages 21 from 20 ODIs... so it's not as if he's been doing so well in his whole ODI career.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
it wasn't just that he didn't score runs, he looked absolutely out of his depth. he also averages 21 from 20 ODIs... so it's not as if he's been doing so well in his whole ODI career.

Hales current form & ODI record not being flash is well acknowledged - but as George Dobell rightly said he is type of unique flair player to English cricket that is worth investing him because if he comes good as his talent suggest, we have big player long term - News and Analysis : Pakistan v England 2015-16 | Dobell: Hales worth investing time in | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
England test squad announced here:

Hales, Ansari, Taylor earn Test call-ups | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

I like how the squad is looking to the future, although the inclusion of a third spinner is a bit of over kill in my opinion. It's not like spin is the only thing that is effective in the UAE. We've seen Junaid Khan have his fair share of success too, so good pace bowling is going to matter. Happy to see Hales getting a call up. He wasn't exactly spectacular but it adds a different dimension, especially in conditions where the new ball isn't always that tricky. The eleven I would pick is:

1. Cook
2. Hales
3. Root
4. Ali (middle order batsman in every sense of the word)
5. Taylor
6. Stokes
7. Buttler
8. Rashid
9. Broad
10. Finn
11. Anderson

Having a look at Pakistan's squad, it looks settled and in all honesty, picks itself:

1. Shezad (one last try in tests)
2. Masood
3. Ali
4. Khan
5. Misbah
6. Hafeez
7. Sarfraz
8. Riaz
9. Shah
10. Junaid
11. Ali

The batting isn't as deep as England's but Pakistan's bowling options are more varied and they may well play Babar instead of one of the seamers, although I've gone with Ali.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
2. Masood
3. Ali
4. Khan
5. Misbah
6. Hafeez
7. Sarfraz
8. Riaz
9. Shah
10. Junaid
11. Ali
There is no way Pakistan will play 3 seamers in the UAE. I don't think Junaid will play, based on his performances against SL. Also, Shafiq in for Hafeez.

Dingo Ate Me Baby

School Cricketer
I like how the squad is looking to the future, although the inclusion of a third spinner is a bit of over kill in my opinion. It's not like spin is the only thing that is effective in the UAE. We've seen Junaid Khan have his fair share of success too, so good pace bowling is going to matter. Happy to see Hales getting a call up. He wasn't exactly spectacular but it adds a different dimension, especially in conditions where the new ball isn't always that tricky. The eleven I would pick is:

1. Cook
2. Hales
3. Root
5. Taylor
6. Stokes
7. Buttler
8. Rashid
9. Broad
10. Finn
11. Anderson

However much I agree with you here, the management are not gonna drop Bell for this one, frustrating because he has done heck all for a while, and his two fifties at Edgbaston (one with fortune after being dropped badly) seem to have cemented his place in for a good while yet. I would love to see a middle order of Ali, Taylor and Stokes but can't see it. Hales is a must, Ali would get eaten alive in South Africa as an opener so best give Hales a go now. As for the seam attack, I wouldn't be averse to giving Plunkett or Wood a go because of the little bit more pace they give but think they'll stick with Finn.

D

Deleted member 149013

England test squad announced here:

Hales, Ansari, Taylor earn Test call-ups | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

1. Cook
2. Hales
3. Root
5. Taylor
6. Stokes
7. Buttler
8. Rashid
9. Broad
10. Finn
11. Anderson

Having a look at Pakistan's squad, it looks settled and in all honesty, picks itself:

2. Masood
3. Ali
4. Khan
5. Misbah
6. Hafeez
7. Sarfraz
8. Riaz
9. Shah
10. Junaid
11. Ali

The batting isn't as deep as England's but Pakistan's bowling options are more varied and they may well play Babar instead of one of the seamers, although I've gone with Ali.

If I could select a team:

Cook

Compton

Taylor

Root (spin)

Vince

Ali (spin)

Buttler

Willey

Wood

Broad

Ansari (spin)

Stokes, Anderson, Plunkett, Dawson, Roy (performed much better than Hales and looks a much more complete batsman).

Matthew Fisher (Yorkshire), Mason Crane (Hampshire) (Both to gain experience in England setup not playing coaching and tour).

ODI call up Liam Dawson.

T20 call up Alex Davies.

Based on the team going it looks weak in batting Bell and Hales especially looking at the recent ODI series shouldn’t Roy be ahead of Hales in selection? Not to mention Hales isn’t in form.

Rashid took the majority of wickets from full tosses and that’s great for limited overs but Pakistan should play him well. Ali looks middle order material currently and maybe a few years’ experience moving to opener if needed. Bairstow still flawed in test cricket and would be fine for limited overs but I think we have better batsman than him.

Dingo Ate Me Baby

School Cricketer
If I could select a team:

Cook

Compton

Taylor

Root (spin)

Vince

Ali (spin)

Buttler

Willey

Wood

Broad

Ansari (spin)

Stokes, Anderson, Plunkett, Dawson, Roy (performed much better than Hales and looks a much more complete batsman).

Matthew Fisher (Yorkshire), Mason Crane (Hampshire) (Both to gain experience in England setup not playing coaching and tour).

ODI call up Liam Dawson.

T20 call up Alex Davies.

Based on the team going it looks weak in batting Bell and Hales especially looking at the recent ODI series shouldn’t Roy be ahead of Hales in selection? Not to mention Hales isn’t in form

Bit of a flawed issue there with suggesting Roy should be ahead of Hales, when Hales is an opener and Roy bats down at number 5 or 6 for Surrey.

And well where do I start with that line up. No Anderson? Ansari at 11? And no Stokes? Also Willey I think would be quite ineffective in sub continent wickets with a lack of swing and his pace being 80-82mph. Also if you are basing the lack of Hales selection on form then Vince shouldn't be anywhere near the Test side, his four day cricket this year hasn't been amazing, I can only think of one hundred, even though his one day form has been better.

Good heavens you're not a selector! :wave

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm quite happy with the test squad. Would probably go with:

1. Hales
2. Cook
3. Taylor
4. Root
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Ali
8. Rashid
9. Broad
10. Wood
11. Anderson

I don't know a lot about Ansari, but what alternative was there in terms of a third spinner? Tredwell perhaps, but he's the wrong side of 30. Riley has gone off the radar, they don't trust Kerrigan and Crane is too young. Liam Dawson would do a very similar job to Ansari. I guess his bowling is slightly worse.

Only change I would make to the squad is Footitt for Plunkett. Left arm variation might be nice, but there's not much chance of the 2nd reserves seamer getting a game anyway I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread