Pakistan vs England Jul-Aug-Sep 2010

Key? Hell no.

Why not go with someone in great form like Carberry? Or you can have Trott opening with Hildreth coming in.

Key played test before & did ok, so at least we know what he could handle test cricket to a fair degree. Since he last played for England, he has definately improved as a batsmen.

Carberry regardless of his county form, based on watching him batting i dont believe he would survive againts quality international pace attacks.

Hildreth should be nowehre near the test setup. The fact that he plays on the flattest county pitch in domestic cricket, doesn't help his credentials for a test birth.

The likelihood that Trott may be played as makeshift opener in the Ashes is very likely. But thats a very nervy proposition ATS.

War, you'd dismiss him purely on where he plays half of his cricket? Regardless of actually watching him? Which if you had, you'd realise he's technically sound and a very talented batsman. Ignoring the fact he scores runs away from Taunton too.

If we're looking to the Ashes, I'd imagine England's first move would be to bring in Bell.

Key played test before & did ok, so at least we know what he could handle test cricket to a fair degree. Since he last played for England, he has definately improved as a batsmen.

Carberry regardless of his county form, based on watching him batting i dont believe he would survive againts quality international pace attacks.

Hildreth should be nowehre near the test setup. The fact that he plays on the flattest county pitch in domestic cricket, doesn't help his credentials for a test birth.

The likelihood that Trott may be played as makeshift opener in the Ashes is very likely. But thats a very nervy proposition ATS.

This is why I don't like having discussions with you War, you base everything on your judgement on seeing them bat a bit.

Carberry would survive against top international pace attacks he's one of the best on the county circuit against pace, its against spin that he has a slight technical problem. Hildreth has been is superb form not only at home but in nearly every match he's played this year. Technically he is completely sound and definitely could slot into England's lower order without being overawed. Its starting to get onto my nerves this talk that anyone who plays for Somerset doesn't have a realistic chance of getting into the team because of the pitch they play on. Its over empathised.

And the thought of Trott against the new ball wouldn't really be a nervy proposition. He's shown that against pace and the new ball coming in at number three (he's basically been an opener with Cook at the moment).

Themer added 2 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

On the Hildreth point look at the match he's currently in. Bowlers pitch and he tops scores with 83 out of a total of 215. While Essex in their first innings are 59-4.

Last edited:
War, you'd dismiss him purely on where he plays half of his cricket? Regardless of actually watching him? Which if you had, you'd realise he's technically sound and a very talented batsman. Ignoring the fact he scores runs away from Taunton too.

No i have seen ALOT of Hildreth over the years. He looks technical ok, but its hard to judge him fairly given playing @ Taunton wont ever help his push for a test place for obvious reasons.

He needs to move to another county. Lets not forget Hildreth has being scoring runs for years & if the selectors really where convinced about his quality, he would have gotten a chance a long time ago. But other young batsmen like Bopara & Morgan have gotten the nod over him in recent years.

Lets not forget Hildreth has being scoring runs for years & if the selectors really where convinced about his quality, he would have gotten a chance a long time ago. But other young batsmen like Bopara & Morgan have gotten the nod over him in recent years.

No he hasn't "been scoring runs for years". He averaged 31 the other year.

Edit: And the year before that he averaged 30.

Last edited:
No i have seen ALOT of Hildreth over the years. He looks technical ok, but its hard to judge him fairly given playing @ Taunton wont ever help his push for a test place for obvious reasons.

He needs to move to another county. Lets not forget Hildreth has being scoring runs for years & if the selectors really where convinced about his quality, he would have gotten a chance a long time ago. But other young batsmen like Bopara & Morgan have gotten the nod over him in recent years.

Trescothick was rubbish, you are right, where you play clearly matters so much. Strauss was in the runs a lot before England, played at Lord's half the time. I could go on, but it'd be frivolous.

he might make double figures though. amir and asif have cook absolutely pegged, asif took six balls to set his trap today, it wasn't even difficult for him.

Prior is in the form of his life, great to see.

Hopefully Carberry plays in the 4th test, he should have played here tbh.

This is why I don't like having discussions with you War, you base everything on your judgement of seeing them bat a bit.

No i dont judge everything based on seeing players just "bat or bowl a bit". I look at a combination of stats & watching them play. Since given our average domestic structure, it would be naive to take all statistical performances on face value. Get it right now..

Carberry would survive against top international pace attacks he's one of the best on the county circuit against pace, its against spin that he has a slight technical problem.

Ha. How could you be confident Carberry could handle international pace attacks of PAK & AUS quality, when their is no county attack of even half that quality of those two international attacks, that he would have ever faced in his life?

Although playing pace is indeed his strenght. IMO i dont believe his technique againts pace is good enough to handle really good international pace attacks. If Cook is struggling (even Cook in this poor for his better than Carberry), i dont have much confidence in Carberry.

And the thought of Trott against the new ball wouldn't really be a nervy proposition. He's shown that against pace and the new ball coming in at number three (he's basically been an opener with Cook at the moment).

Making the transition from # 3 to opener is not an easy mental transition. Few batsmen (top players) in test history have done that well, while many have failed @ it. Much less Trott who isn't any great player.

Plus lets not forget Trott struggled last winter againts the quality SA attack & in this current series vs the quality PAK attack he has just been decent. So it is indeed a nervy proposition to throw him into opening role in AUS. Since 1 or 2 early failures & we are back to square one.

No he hasn't "been scoring runs for years". He averaged 31 the other year.

Edit: And the year before that he averaged 30.

Hildreth has been is superb form not only at home but in nearly every match he's played this year. Technically he is completely sound and definitely could slot into England's lower order without being overawed. Its starting to get onto my nerves this talk that anyone who plays for Somerset doesn't have a realistic chance of getting into the team because of the pitch they play on. Its over empathised.

On the Hildreth point look at the match he's currently in. Bowlers pitch and he tops scores with 83 out of a total of 215. While Essex in their first innings are 59-4.

Check those stats back sir.

- 2009 he averaged 44

- 2008 30

The overall point is that he averages 42 in all his years @ Taunton. Even if this probably is his best year statistical. But thats just 42, he hasn't exactly dominated. If he was averaging 52 then i & the selectors may have probably taken notice.

Admittedly though i guess last season when he scored that 303 not out was probably his sort of breakout season & this season he has obviously kicked on. After years of averaging in 30s ish, with Somerset generally being in Division 2.

This is all good for him, & hoepfuly for ENG one day, but it would naive on anyones part to start jumping on his bandwagon suggested "definitely could slot into England's lower order without being overawed"., given the clear discrepancies in the standard of bowling in county cricket. Thats wishful thinking. Especially given the last young batsmen in Bopara who had a dynamic domestic season (who looks just as technical sound as Hildreth if not slightly), looked absolutely abysmal when confronted by the quality aussie attack in 2009 Ashes.

This is why i always saw take all domestic performances with BIG pinch of salt. You do that & if a player makes the step up & struggles/fails, you wont be left wondering why they did.

Users who are viewing this thread