MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Contrary to previous reports the Pakistan Cricket Board has ruled out switching the forthcoming tour to Australia, with PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf saying that the series will be played in Pakistan.

"The PCB has only one position on this series, Australia will play in Pakistan as per their commitment in March-April 2008. There is no question of it being played at a neutral venue or swapping venues and playing in Australia at this time." He told reporters.

The idea of a shift to a neutral or Australian venue came about after increased tensions and terrorism risks in Pakistan after the death of Benazir Bhutto, which has made Cricket Australia consider whether it is safe enough to tour. Cricket Australia will make a final decision on the tour after a visit by a security delegation, scheduled for soon after the February 18 elections.

Pakistan's Cricket Board also reaffirmed their commitment to touring Australia in 2009.

PlanetCricket Discussion: Australia in Pakistan
Source: Cricinfo

Good point. After the elections are over, Let the Series Be started. But, Don't they have any second plan?, If there isn't enough security for the Visitors, What the ICC Will do Then?, Probably shift the entire series to ....Where?.

If Pakistan refuse to play at a neutral venue then the series will be cancelled and possibly rescheduled to another season. Their refusal to move it is making life difficult for Australia but is probably to put pressure on Australia to make an actual decision.

Their fear is probably that if they offer it to us we'll take it.

Australia should just cancel the tour and do something else. Even in normal times, its not that safe going to Pakistan, after all that has happened in recent times, it would be dangerous to tour that country

Australia should just cancel the tour and do something else. Even in normal times, its not that safe going to Pakistan, after all that has happened in recent times, it would be dangerous to tour that country
And India is no less dangerous?

I hear Muslims and Christians being killed everyday there...

yeah yeah... any more????

I know how it feels for Pakistani supporters when teams hesitate to tour Pakistan becoz of these reasons. But that doesnt mean you should try to find solace in throwing that blame on another nation (just becoz one of that nation's supporters said something that you didnt like)

i didnt mean any disrespect to your country. i just said that its not safe at the moment to tour there

India is far more politically stable than Pakistan.

I hope the situation calms down but I think it'll probably end up being postponed.

Doesnt Pakistan only have one cricketing venue though. i know nothing about Pakistan and whats in it i have only seen some of their players when they came out here

Well Andrew Symonds has clearly said that he doesn't want to tour and their might be other player who might feel the same once the tour draws closer. Once there's enough players dropping out Cricket Australia will do the sensible thing and cancel the tour. I'm sure they wouldn't send an "A" side, which their is rumors around that they might.
I suppose on the other side of the coin, the Pakistan people would really want this series to take place and are not going to react to well if it doesn't but the smart thing to do would be to cancel the tour altogether and wait for the next series in Australia.

Doesnt Pakistan only have one cricketing venue though. i know nothing about Pakistan and whats in it i have only seen some of their players when they came out here
Pakistan has plenty of venues--Lahore, Karachi, Faisalabad, Multan just to mention a few.

No way should we go. We didnt go to Zimbabwe and we shouldnt go their unless we get their whole secret service, police. goverment security forces and army looking after the fans and the team. That might be enough to secure their safety. Oh and some UN officials to help with the First Aid.

Users who are viewing this thread