[PCCL 2010] Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
June 2nd, 2010
PCCL 2010 is about ready for kick-off. This new season will be introducing a lot of innovations to hopefully make it more exciting and easier to follow, especially for people in different timezones.

Issues from Season 2009
There were several issues in Season 2009, which included:

(1) Simulations not being done on time, hence throwing the season out of schedule
(2) Several inactive teams
(3) Simulation not throwing up entirely interesting/realistic results
(4) Captains not being proactive in setting their line-ups
(5) Competition being waaaay too long

Solutions to the problems
We have looked at these issues closely and have come up with a few solutions that will hopefully not only innovate the competition but prevent these problems from happening again.

PCCS
Introduce PCCS as the official simulator for Twenty20 and OD to begin with, and FC as that engine gets developed. Since PCCS is being actively developed, we can tweak it as the season progresses and prevent bugs from ruining the fun.

PCCL Web Application
I have been working over the last couple of weeks on developing a PCCL web application that will hook into PCCS. What does this mean?

(1) Captains set their line-ups on the web-application
(2) Automated simulation that is kicked off on the day-off by a scheduled task--no more waiting for simmers to do their job!
(3) LIVE matches -- follow matches live, with a Cricinfo-style interface that allows you to view commentary, scorecard as well as match statistics. Matches take place in near-real time meaning you can check in from different timezones to chat about a game.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the FC engine will be ready by the time the season kicks off so the PCCL web app will only apply to the Twenty20 and OD leagues. FC will be played with Syedur Rehman's Cricsim until PCCS is done.

Brand New Teams
With several teams inactive and in disarray, we've decided to go ahead and create brand new teams. This means new managers, new players, new draft. Details of the draft will be released at a future date.

Note: If you are the current owner of a team, you are eligible for a V$ 1,000,000 buyout per team (this means if a team has 2 owners, they'll have to split it). Remember that the original PCCL teams were not auctioned--they were assigned on a first-come-first-serve basis. Please PM me to collect your buyout.

Shortened FC/OD competition format
We are going to shorten the FC and OD competition format. In previous seasons, this format involved each team playing each other team 3 times per season--a total of 15 games per team, meaning a 15-week competition. We are going to modify this to just one home and one away game against each team in the competition--meaning just 10 games in the regular season.

The top two teams will meet for a one-off final in each competition.

New Twenty20 competition
The scheduling of this competition hasn't been complete yet, but we will be introducing a Twenty20 competition sometime in the middle of the season. The Twenty20 cup will be a 10 team affair and will feature 4 invitational teams from other Cricsim competitions across the web. This will hopefully create some atmosphere and bring other members into our Cricsim league.

The format will comprise of four rounds--the round robins, a super 6, semis and a final. The format will be similar to that of the 2003 Cricket World Cup. The entire competition will take only 11 game days and can be feasibly completed within 2 weeks. More specific details are forthcoming.

Sign-up Thread
If we've got you convinced, head over to the sign-up thread and put your name down for this season!

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
June 7th, 2010
I'd like to show a couple of screenshots of the new PCCL web-based interface. Keep in mind this is still a work in progress.

Cricinfo-style Match View

Commentary view (will implement commentary soon)

Player Statistics Page

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
June 23, 2010
With enough players to cover a starting XI for each side, the draft should be coming up fairly soon. We're still about 20 players short of a full squad per team so get your friends to sign-up! Once the draft is done, we'll allow players to sign on to a team of their preference (if there are multiple teams interested, draft order will prevail).

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
July 12, 2010
The draft is now done! If you still don't what team you are on, encourage the teams that haven't posted their line-ups to do so.

Once all the graphics are in, I'll set up a short Twenty20 Preseason Tournament so you guys can see all the changes we've made with Cricsim this year (at least for the OD competition). So if you're on a team that doesn't have a logo, tell your owner to get on it, or better yet, make the graphics yourself!

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
July 15, 2010
The new team pages are now done. This allows managers and players to view a sortable table of their squad, along with ratings and batting/bowling styles.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
July 16, 2010
The PCCL website has finally been unveiled to the public. Right now it is not too functional but stay tuned over the next few days as we add content to it!

Link: PCCL : Home

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
July 21, 2010
Note on banter:

While Cricsim is one of the more loosely moderated forums at PC and you are encouraged to engage in light-hearted banter with other members, please keep in mind that you still have to follow the PC rules. This means no trolling, no attacking other members with malicious intent, no racism, etc. Also, remember this is a forum for all ages so let's keep the sexual references to a minimum.

Cheers!

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
July 25, 2010
The 2010 PC Cricsim League is all set to kick off in about 7 hours time. Match threads have been posted already and you are encouraged to go there and strut your stuff!

Game links have been provided in the match thread, but in the event that you are too lazy to start off their, you can head to the PCCL homepage and browse to the match page.

There are still a few features that I'm working on with the website (namely the ability to view/edit ground details as well as providing a synopsis of all current live games). Hopefully these will be added in due time.

The Twenty20 simulations last about 2 hours (maybe less) so you are definitely encouraged to chat live about the match on the match thread and generally treat it like a live game in real life (the PCCL website being Cricinfo).

This is still a work in progress--old PCCL members will remember that matches used to be posted all at once with a bunch of scrolling. So please feel free to provide any feedback on the feedback thread. I'll do my best to incorporate as much of it as I can!

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
July 26, 2010
As you are all aware, the games got stuck in the middle today. A few of you will be happy since your teams were doing pretty badly. :p I have no idea as to what the issue is unfortunately, which is why I wanted to run the first round while I was awake so that I could take care of issues as they arise.

Anyways, the first round will be a do-over and will be simulated during the day today, with the second round taking place as scheduled.

sohum added 16 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

July 26, 2010
The matches have been restarted. I'm running from within the debugger this time so if it crashes, I'm hoping I'll be able to figure out what the issue is and wipe it out for good.

This was one of my goals for the preseason--to be able to test out the live simulation so that the season proper can proceed as expected.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
July 26, 2010
I believe the database issues have been fixed at this point, at the penalty of slow performance of the web page. For some reason reads were creating locks on the database as well, which is why saw database errors. I've been simulating a couple of rounds of fake IPL games and I think I've worked out the kinks temporarily, until I move to a version where static HTML is generated for end users.

At this point Round 2 will be simulated live as scheduled. Hopefully we will not see any issues this time around. In the event that the database issues rears its ugly head again, I will simulate the round using PCCS and continue investigating a fix. No more hoopla of trying two live simulations.

That's it for now.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
August 1, 2010
Congratulations to the Lunar Sharks for winning the inaugural PCCL Preseason Tournament. The players of the tournament have also been announced:

Batsman of the Tournament: Shrenik
Bowler of the Tournament: Rhys Williams

Stay tuned for news about the PCCL season proper!

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
August 2, 2010
The week of August 2-8 can be used to schedule preseason friendlies with other teams on the PCCL website. If you would like to play some friendlies against one or two teams, please get in touch with your managers and goad them to arrange these friendlies in the mod forum!

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
August 6, 2010
The PCCL season will begin on Tuesday, August 10th. First class matches will be scheduled on Tuesday-Friday and OD games will be played on Sundays. Watch out for more information.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
August 8, 2010
The dates for the first half of the season have been announced. Second-half dates will be announced based on the scheduling of the mid-season tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread