Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

Bluebagger

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Extremely heartbreaking. It's heartwarming that the cricket community has come together as one it is just tragic it was not in much more positive circumstances.

RIP Phillip Hughes

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I was woken up by a chain of cricinfo updates on my phone this morning. Absolutely tragic. I feel deeply saddened by this incident. Despite all the competition and fierce rivalry that this great game has to offer, one never likes to see something of this sort happening on the field. Can`t even imagine what his family and close friends would be going through at the moment. It puts things into perspective. Sport is never a matter of life and death, it must never be!

Whatever happens in the rest of the Aussie summer would pale in significance to what has happened today. My heart goes out to Sean Abbott who has done no wrong and yet by cruelty of fate has been scarred for life. Just hope that he survives this phase and goes on to become what Phil Hughes could`ve become, an Australian great.

Phillip Hughes, the cricket fraternity is united in grief for you. May your soul rest in peace.

007avenger007

Club Captain
I haven't visited these forums in long while, but I couldn't help but say this.

I wasn't a big fan of Phillip Hughes. He never stuck out to me. When I heard about his injury I was shocked. I was very concerned and was genuinely hoping that he'd recover from this and get back to cricketing just like normal.

I heard the news of his passing just a bit earlier. I don't know why, but when heard it I was caught so off guard that I almost broke into tears. I still can't believe it and I can only imagine what is going though his family, friends, colleagues and team mates, and all those people who witnessed the event.

I have no words. Rest in peace Phillip Hughes (1988-2014). You will be missed and never forgotten. :(

BlackCaps12

School Cricketer
I am still absolutely speechless and have goosebumps all over my body while reading all the stuff about this accident... Huge lost for cricket RIP Phil Hughes

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The news of Phil Hughes' death broke overnight in the UK, so I was asleep. I sleep with the radio on though, and the breaking news woke me up. I didn't get back to sleep for quite some time afterwards.

Since I first saw him bat on his Test debut, through his twin tons and through all the peaks and troughs, he has been one of my favourite players. The way he played the game was always exemplary, as was the way he conducted his life off the field. He was quiet, understated, and talented; exactly the kind of player and the kind of human being that you want to succeed.

And also spare a thought for Sean Abbott. Younger even than Hughes, he will now have to live his life in the knowledge that such a man died at his hand. Abbott was of course completely blameless, a young international cricketer simply doing his job to the best of his ability - digging the ball into the pitch in the search of an elusive wicket, he had no way of knowing that a one in a billion accident was about to unfold.

It could have happened to anyone. I've experienced both sides of the situation; I've had a cricket ball lodged in the grille of my helmet, and been bounced in poor light by someone genuinely trying to hurt me. Similarly, I've bowled bouncers in my time, one of which hit the batsman on the back of his head mere inches from the spot which killed Hughes. Fortunately, this batsman's helmet saved him.

That is the most horribly shocking aspect of all this news - the relatability of it all. The victims (because both Abbott and Hughes, as well as everyone else present, are victims in this story) could have been anyone, from any level of cricket. It could have been me, on either side; it could have been almost anyone that I've played with or against. It's a cruel, random and tragic reminder of the dangers of the game we love.

StormySteve

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Very upsetting and tragic, one of the best young talents in a long time... huge hole in the cricketing world right now, very sad, thoughts are with his family, friends and the Australian team. Thoughts are also with Sean Abbott, the cricketing world including fans should and will support him I'm sure !!

RIP - Phil Hughes !!!

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Just as I woke up, I hear this terrible news of a brilliant talent, Phillip Hughes. Dark days of cricketing years these are, what a loss. R.I.P Phillip Hughes. :(

ravenswood7

Associate Cricketer
I've been in tears and depressed at what has happened to Phillip Hughes today so sorry for his family even worse for them. I remember his two hundreds against south Africa in Durban and his hundred on debut against Sri Lanka at Melbourne in the one day game. Always had a smile on his face humble and uncomplaining had a great attitude. Also feel sorry for Sean Abbott I hope and pray he gets the support he needs and can bowl again the future. Thanks Phil for all the enjoyment you gave us fans May God and Jesus bless your soul you will never never be forgotten my friend. I am really going to miss you.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Club Cricketer
Heartbreaking when I read this in the morning on my way to work. Horrible that he could pass playing his favourite sport. People mustn't forget Abbott though. He will need help to get over this. Poor lad. Just tragic all around. I hope that when the Ashes take place next year there is a fitting tribute for him as he will have been there.

VVS

School Cricketer
Hi guys, I'm one of those people who have been viewing this fantastic forum for years without really posting. However I felt a need to make a comment after the death of Phillip Hughes. Never has a death effected me like this one before, I have literally been balling my eyes out all day here in Cardiff, Wales, having met Phil a few times whilst working at Glamorgan Cricket Club over the last few years and having admired his ability since making his mark in 2009 in his debut series versus South Africa. I've written a few words about him here Paley Politics: A Tribute to Phillp Hughes making mention of other deaths such as Gary Speed and more recently, Tom Maynard that have shook the sporting world in recent years. Additionally, I have to pay credit to Michael Clarke, who today, demonstrated not only what a great Australian cricket captain he is but a strength of character that very few possess. Best wishes.

ferg512

International Coach
Haven't been on here for a while but I have to say I am just in complete shock, it still hasn't sunk in feels like a bad dream you will wake up from. Makes it even harder that he was one of my favourite players, and I have no doubt he would have been one of the greats as he had so much time left. I haven't been able to smile once since I heard the news just constant sadness. RIP Hughesy, really going to miss you.

sanjeevaloria

International Coach
I know about this yesterday 11:30 AM (IST) when I watching CNN. its a sad news for cricket.
RIP Phillip Hughes

zaff4444

Club Captain
Special tribute to Phillip Hughes

enhanced-29577-1417064038-1.jpg

Last edited:

Gentoras

International Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
That's talent gone too soon right there,,,I remeber telling my mates about Phil when Aus was touring S.A early this year, how good a player he will be,,,saddened by His passing.

May His Soul Rest In Peace...

Users who are viewing this thread