Phillip Hughes

WHEN?

• Total voters

joshuaa21

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
When will he produce a great innings in what we saw him do against South Africa and in county cricket?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Talk on the blogs of him being replaced by Watson third test.
I think he's been a bit unlucky tbh. If he had genuine technical weaknesses against short bowling he wouldn't have played so well in South Africa.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The only talk of Watson opening was created by Watson himself. Even then, it was clear his point was that he'd put his hand up for anything to get into the team, not that the selectors were considering it.

As far as weaknesses go, Hughes' is fairly mild and puts him in good company. Tis better to struggle against the short ball than to struggle to know where off stump is.

leftarmlegspin

Club Cricketer
Agree with Barmyarmy. His dismissal in the recent Test was atrocious, hardly his fault that he was out so early. I think he's worth another go at least before any whispers of a dropping should start.

And in any case, who do Australia replace him with? No spare opener in the squad, and putting Watson in that position would be absolutely laughable.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I don't know why they keep going on about how he he struggling to cope with England's bodyline tactics. He struggled in the 1st Test, came into the 2nd Test and went alright against the short stuff. He gloved one down legside but even the best short ball players have done that. Next inns he was comfortable against the short stuff, it was Flintoff going around the wicket which caused him some problems.

P

pcfan123

All the talk about Watson replacing him is laughable. 2 bad matches and everyone has forgotten what he did to SA and in county cricket this year.

piriyanth

International Cricketer
Agree with Barmyarmy. His dismissal in the recent Test was atrocious, hardly his fault that he was out so early. I think he's worth another go at least before any whispers of a dropping should start.

And in any case, who do Australia replace him with? No spare opener in the squad, and putting Watson in that position would be absolutely laughable.

There is Mike Hussey.

Mercules

Club Cricketer
I don't actually think he will do much this time around but I imagine he'll make up for it in the next Ashes by making 6 centuries.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
I said in a thread that he is overrated, but it's crazy to see what people are saying. Stuff like dropping him and everything, that's madness. He just excelled against South Africa, in South Africa, and has dominated the Australia domestic scene. The kid is 20 years old. He should be given an extended run, regardless of his results. We should re-evaluate his position after about 15 tests, if he continues to perform poorly in the remainder of this series, perhaps at the conclusion of the Ashes.

When will he produce a great innings in what we saw him do against South Africa and in county cricket?

Why is the poll multiple options? Next means the next one, not more than one, so it should be a single option poll.

Talk on the blogs of him being replaced by Watson third test.
I think he's been a bit unlucky tbh. If he had genuine technical weaknesses against short bowling he wouldn't have played so well in South Africa.

After the first Test there was talk of Watson replacing Hussey too.

He has opened in First Class cricket for Queensland before, last season or the season before, if I recall correctly. He was diabolical for most of his time there, just started to get the hang of it before they moved him back into the middle order.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
He's been found out. If he's going to be able to continue scoring runs in international cricket then he'll have to learn to play the pull shot. Teams aren't going to keep feeding him balls outside off-stump anymore.

piriyanth

International Cricketer
Hussey adapted his game to the middle order. If Hussey opens, who bats at four?

Hussey use to an opener for WA wasn't he? So he might've had some experience. Anyway I rather have him as an opener than Watson.

Clarke can bat no.4 with Watson/Mcdonald coming at no.5 or no.6. Well it all depends on how Hughes go on the next test match.

Last edited:

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Hussey use to an opener for WA wasn't he? So he might've had some experience. Anyway I rather have him as an opener than Watson.

Clarke can bat no.4 with Watson/Mcdonald coming at no.5 or no.6. Well it all depends on how Hughes go on the next test match.

Hussey was an opener for WA and I think he opened in county cricket as well. His debut was also as an opener (against the West Indies)

Is Watson still under a fitness cloud? He did have a good ODI series in Pakistan but the guy can't do anything without breaking down. I'd like to see Watson play Test cricket but for him to replace Hughes at the top of the order would be laughable. Whilst I think that McDonald has copped more criticism than he probably should I don't think his batting or bowling would be good enough to get him in the side. The positive for McDonald is that he can tie down an end (which something that out of the frontliners Hilfenhaus and Hauritz have done so far) and pick up a couple of wickets.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
He's been found out. If he's going to be able to continue scoring runs in international cricket then he'll have to learn to play the pull shot. Teams aren't going to keep feeding him balls outside off-stump anymore.

Yes, Hussey was mainly an opener for Western Australia. He has had lots of experience there. He started his international career opening for Australia.

Is McDonald bats 5, we would have the weakest batting line up in the world, minnows aside.

Say Hussey is opening with Katich, I think we should run with this.

1. Hussey
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. North
6. Watson
7. Haddin

That's clearly our best batting line up without Hughes.

Users who are viewing this thread