Podcast this week.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm recording a podcast this week: if you have any burning questions/song requests/anecdotes I can pretend are mine, then you can leave them here for me...

J

How will the player choice of hair product impact wind resistance while running (in to bowl/between wickets/fielding). I mean it's a given that choice of hair care is a part of the player editor, so just need clarification on the finer point.

How will the player choice of hair product impact wind resistance while running (in to bowl/between wickets/fielding). I mean it's a given that choice of hair care is a part of the player editor, so just need clarification on the finer point.

Oh, I thought you meant MY personal choice of hair product.

Obviously I can't give away which different hair products we have licensed in the game and their various effects on player attributes at this stage... Not until closer to the time. Sorry...

It's quite difficult to think of new questions when not much has changed (as far as I know) since the last podcast but I will endeavour to provide one anyway!

How do you go about modelling the gameplay in terms of modes of dismissals? Are statistics collated from test series/odi games throughout the world and the game designed with that in mind? Or are the mechanics for batting/bowling created and mode of dismissal more based on happenstance? I believe MattW has addressed the fact that there are precious few plays and misses in any existing game and likewise with batpad catches. This time have you actually sat down and said "how are wickets taken in test cricket and what can do to replicate that?"

I don't know how much you'd be able to talk about this but,

How much of a factor in the development of the game is the look and feel of a publisher? Codemasters previously had a fairly arcade take on a lot of their games, BLIC 2005 especially had a very different look and feel to their EA competition. How much is going into Ashes Cricket 2013 to make it a '505games' title - is there anything that the company puts a greater focus on in development and the look and feel of a title?

Hi Chief

Just a quick question. Will there be a heavier focus on animation transitions in this game?

The thing that annoyed me the most with previous titles was the batting. After a shot was played the batsman just stands there with the bat in the air looking at the non-striker.

In most real life cases batsmen watch the ball in order to judge the run. Was wondering if there were animations linking up say a cover drive to an attempted run instead of 2 animations placed together (potentially looking disjointed).

A transition animation will make the gameplay more fluent and realistic.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Will the hair grow when the time passes on?
You see hair in many games are realistic, but same size for years? How does that work?:spy

How about answering some of the many questions left unanswered on the official forum by the lack of the so called weekly question time.......dont get me wrong, but if you say you are going to do something then dont it leaves people confused as to your intentions.

How about answering some of the many questions left unanswered on the official forum by the lack of the so called weekly question time.......dont get me wrong, but if you say you are going to do something then dont it leaves people confused as to your intentions.

To be fair, I *did* update that post explaining that a lot of the questions weren't answerable at this time, and that I'd been optimistic in its regularity... They'll get more regular once we get closer, and in particular when I can talk about the licensing, which covers about 80% of the questions people were asking.
I think I imagined, from seeing what other developers got posed when they did this sort of thing, there would be lots more general questions about games in general, or cricket in general which didn't materialise...

Sorry if you felt let down by that.

To be fair, I *did* update that post explaining that a lot of the questions weren't answerable at this time, and that I'd been optimistic in its regularity... They'll get more regular once we get closer, and in particular when I can talk about the licensing, which covers about 80% of the questions people were asking.
I think I imagined, from seeing what other developers got posed when they did this sort of thing, there would be lots more general questions about games in general, or cricket in general which didn't materialise...

Maybe just tell us which areas you are most excited about
in this game or future cricket games, can you talk a little
about the engine, will there be sweat on the players face and arms.
Can you play a little in the rain like the real thing or will the players
go off the field straight away like say shane warne 99.
Also maybe if you can give us a clue when we can see the game.
Its almost feb and i know you did not promise anything but ideas
are starting to dry up on here, is there a cut of point when the game
just needs to be finished, meaning no more time for ideas ?:spy

Well probably a bit harsh from me any way. It is just that there is so much posting over at that forum that many of the decent questions (the questions posed by a certain Ehtx28 seem excellent to me!;)) get lost in all the swamplands that is licensing and body shapes. The real questions about physics and gameplay then dissapear out of view. Will you be able to tell us something more about this unpredictability factor you are striving for and ball physics?

Genuine thanks for your time and efforts.

Well probably a bit harsh from me any way. It is just that there is so much posting over at that forum that many of the decent questions (the questions posed by a certain Ehtx28 seem excellent to me!;)) get lost in all the swamplands that is licensing and body shapes. The real questions about physics and gameplay then dissapear out of view. Will you be able to tell us something more about this unpredictability factor you are striving for and ball physics?

Genuine thanks for your time and efforts.

Aye: we're working on trying to make it a bit more organized over there. Some of the new people aren't necessarily as experienced as the guys on here about where to puts posts etc.

Users who are viewing this thread