Post your questions about the game here!

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Instead of creating new threads, please post any general queries about the game in this thread.

Last edited:

cricketaddict

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Q1) Can you just answer when will this game be out? How much development is done?

It's been under development for a long time, years, it's a pet project of mine personally as I have family that play cricket (one of my son-in-laws is in India playing right now). However as this is a self-funded title it has been using resources as they become available from other projects.

Now that we have finished our Rugby League title everyone at Big Ant Studios is onboard to get this Cricket game out the door.

I can't tell you when it will be out due to confidentiality agreements that are in place but I can say that I think it is great that you will have two games to choose from next year and competition can only make the games better

Q2) It would be nice to know how much the game has been developed like is it playable? Still under development? What features? and if these questions cannot be answered right now then how many more days

It's payable and it's fun - we're adding in all of the stuff we've developed from our other sports games, extensive player creators, player sharing, Career modes, and a lot of other stuff that I will give details about over time.

This experience will be a fluent bowler to bat to field experience, there will be no quick time button press mini-games.

Q3) Cricket game will have a career mode?

Our game has an extensive career mode.

Q4) Is it playable online?

It is playable online across multiple machines.

We have not got an option to continue a saved online game - we did look at it but thought the audience for the feature too small - if it is a big feature for you guys then we can reconsider it.

5. Why all of a sudden BigAnt came with their screenshots? were you waiting for Trickstar to announce their title?

The timing has more to do with the Rugby League (RLL2) game being shipped

6. Crowd and Stadiums looks amazing in RL title, is cricket going to feature similar stature of ditails of the stadiums, players, and crowds?

If anything the detail and lighting is better. RLL2 had lighting that was swapped in/out over time, Cricket has dynamic lighting that has the sun incrementally move, shadows dynamically changing and cloud effects. We want you to feel that you are batting the middle of a cauldren, to feel tingles in your spine when you walk onto the field (I think we got that right with the grand final run on in RLL2).

7. Career mode, Would you be again similar to RL if it is so, then it would be amazing. ( Loving the grand final trailer for RL)

Our Cricket will have the same depth in terms of the career mode as RLL2 but not the same number of licenses. (RLL2 had 100+ licensed teams in it's career mode from u17's and up.) I am hoping that the player creator makes up for the lack of licenses, and the ability for people to share teams that they have created - any one elses team you meet online is automatically stored on your system for you to keep. We believe this will keep the game fresh and allow great longevity.

8. One thing that all the past cricket games did NOT have was the unpredicatablity of the Bowl. Has this been captured accordingly?

We are trying a few different things, the easy thing is a perfect ball everytime, the difficulty is how much randomisation there is and how to balance that with player skill. There is an idea that if a player has perfect input then they should get the perfect result but that makes for a dull game when a player gets perfect muscle memory over time. As we are not using quick time events this is less of a problem for us. FIFA has used some interesting shot modification techniques in the past that we are also looking at including making things more difficult when under pressure.

9. How much does the stamina, Fatigue, Injuries, form, previous innings play part in the game?

Stamina, Fatigue, Injuries, form, previous innings are very influentual, players need to be managed well.

10. Is there like a touring countires to countries type of creeer mode as well as individual career mode?

More on the Career mode will follow. I should clear up early though that this is not a "be a pro mode"

11. Feild setting has been the biggest let down, and lack of AI thinking. How is this game different? and what measures are being taken to avoid these fatal errors from past games?

All I can say is that I think this is under control, if you could tell me your biggest dislikes from the previous then I will try to make sure we don't fall into the same traps.

12. When the game is released is that it? By that I mean if there is faults, then will they be patched? Or will we be left to live with it?

We've continued to provide support for every game we've made, including patches, DLC, etc...
AFL has a Game of the Year Edition that added teams and stadia.
Cricket is personal for me, as mentioned before, I have family playing Cricket including a son on law on tour tight now in Mumbai with a representative indigenous squad. It's a long term investment.

13.Query is with regards to career mode. You said its not be a pro kind of career mode. Does it mean it has more to do with management that actual play in the field. Will we be playing as a coach in career mode?

You manage/coach (train, hire, fire) the team and also can play the games or simulate them.

14. Oh and assuming the career mode is gonna run deep, for years, would the player's attributes grow over the period too? As a player matures as he playes more...and some retire too. I guess the retirement is cross connected with the brand value, spectators etc? Like if its Sachin's last match, obviously more TV rating, spectators etc. and after he retires, there is gonna be less people coming into watch India play.
Is something sort of that going to feature in game?

Stat's change over time. Performance of the team is reasonably dominant for earning revenue, followed by star players, often you get both or neither at the same time, this is where retirement timing and player management come into the game. I don't want to give much more away on the Career mode side of things but it will be revealed in videos and screenshots prior to the game's release.

15. What are we looking at in terms of online features? Will it just be single H2H matches and private matches like AFL Live or will there be more in depth online modes like FIFA?

Every mode in Cricket has an online option, it is head to head or co-operative (all player controller selection screens have an online selection also). There are also online tournaments.

16. Any chance of created teams and competitions being able to be used in 'career mode'?

100% definite - biggest issue people have had with RLL2 has been that only licensed teams can be used in the Career mode, this will not be the case with Cricket (it is a design issue, not a technical one).

17. I know you can't disclose too much about it, but is career mode basically a season by season mode where you manage a team, play tours, friendlies, tournaments etc? Like will a fake version of the WC, T20, IPL and Champions Trophy been in the game?

That's pretty close to it.

18. Can we save the replay whenever we want? I hope this game has it, always want to capture great cricket moments in game

Unfortunately there is no plan at the moment to include an "anytime" replay function.
The replay system we do have implemented will post to YouTube (automatically linking a Facebook link to the video on your wall if you have it activated).

19. Can we expect a demo?

I can't promise a Demo but can promise that there will be plenty of screenshots, video and play sessions before the game is released. I expect that we will have an unbiased set of people at the public play sessions as we have had for our previous games and that they would provide reviews for you before you make any committment to the title.

As you are in North America I should point out that PS3/PC will work there fine but the Xbox360 version may be region locked - I will let people know closer to release whether MS have relented on this.

Last edited:

Gone4aDuck

International Coach
Ross? Can we make custom tours? Say 3 tests 3 ODI's and 1 t20
What you got planned for commentary? By that I mean do you have some old pros lined up for voices? Or you getting some of the dev team to read from a script? I don't have a problem with that btw, as long as its fresh and delivered well. Oh yes. And LOTS of different commentary! It gets very boring hearing the same thing every three overs. :mad
And last thing, you said weather was going to be included. Did you just mean overhead conditions? Or is there going to be rain/bad light delays?
Thanks in advance for your reply. (If I get one)

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ross? Can we make custom tours? Say 3 tests 3 ODI's and 1 t20
What you got planned for commentary? By that I mean do you have some old pros lined up for voices? Or you getting some of the dev team to read from a script? I don't have a problem with that btw, as long as its fresh and delivered well. Oh yes. And LOTS of different commentary! It gets very boring hearing the same thing every three overs. :mad
And last thing, you said weather was going to be included. Did you just mean overhead conditions? Or is there going to be rain/bad light delays?
Thanks in advance for your reply. (If I get one)

The commentary won't be delivered by us reading from a script - no one should be subjected to that! :)

We will record 40+ hours of commentary however the commentary will get boring after a while, I wish I could promise you it wouldn't but unfortunately it always will because of the amount of time the game is played.

Rain and bad light can be optionally turned on/off. We have a really good dynamic weather system in place from the Rugby League games so I want to use them.

EDIT: I should say that if I don't answer a question it won't mean I missed it, it will generally mean I can't - the specific modes of play will be announced at another time.

SpiderSlatts

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
The commentary won't be delivered by us reading from a script - no one should be subjected to that! :)

We will record 40+ hours of commentary however the commentary will get boring after a while, I wish I could promise you it wouldn't but unfortunately it always will because of the amount of time the game is played.

Rain and bad light can be optionally turned on/off. We have a really good dynamic weather system in place from the Rugby League games so I want to use them.

EDIT: I should say that if I don't answer a question it won't mean I missed it, it will generally mean I can't - the specific modes of play will be announced at another time.

S how is the commentary being done? I'm wondering (and hoping) that you have guys playing the game and recording commentary as it is played?

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
S how is the commentary being done? I'm wondering (and hoping) that you have guys playing the game and recording commentary as it is played?

The commentary was read from a script in a recording studio - I meant that no one at Big Ant did the voices :)

cricketaddict

Club Captain
1. Why all of a sudden BigAnt came with their screenshots? were you waiting for Trickstar to announce their title?

The timing has more to do with the Rugby League (RLL2) game being shipped

2. Crowd and Stadiums looks amazing in RL title, is cricket going to feature similar stature of ditails of the stadiums, players, and crowds?

If anything the detail and lighting is better. RLL2 had lighting that was swapped in/out over time, Cricket has dynamic lighting that has the sun incrementally move, shadows dynamically changing and cloud effects. We want you to feel that you are batting the middle of a cauldren, to feel tingles in your spine when you walk onto the field (I think we got that right with the grand final run on in RLL2).

3. Career mode, Would you be again similar to RL if it is so, then it would be amazing. ( Loving the grand final trailer for RL)

Our Cricket will have the same depth in terms of the career mode as RLL2 but not the same number of licenses. (RLL2 had 100+ licensed teams in it's career mode from u17's and up.) I am hoping that the player creator makes up for the lack of licenses, and the ability for people to share teams that they have created - any one elses team you meet online is automatically stored on your system for you to keep. We believe this will keep the game fresh and allow great longevity.

4. One thing that all the past cricket games did NOT have was the unpredicatablity of the Bowl. Has this been captured accordingly?

We are trying a few different things, the easy thing is a perfect ball everytime, the difficulty is how much randomisation there is and how to balance that with player skill. There is an idea that if a player has perfect input then they should get the perfect result but that makes for a dull game when a player gets perfect muscle memory over time. As we are not using quick time events this is less of a problem for us. FIFA has used some interesting shot modification techniques in the past that we are also looking at including making things more difficult when under pressure.

5. How much does the stamina, Fatigue, Injuries, form, previous innings play part in the game?

Stamina, Fatigue, Injuries, form, previous innings are very influentual, players need to be managed well.

6. Is there like a touring countires to countries type of creeer mode as well as individual career mode?

More on the Career mode will follow. I should clear up early though that this is not a "be a pro mode"

7. Feild setting has been the biggest let down, and lack of AI thinking. How is this game different? and what measures are being taken to avoid these fatal errors from past games?

All I can say is that I think this is under control, if you could tell me your biggest dislikes from the previous then I will try to make sure we don't fall into the same traps.

Some more are answered :)

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Yeah true, for test matches i guess you have included a lot of color commentary with statistics, records, memories etc?
And for T20s i wish it would be delivered with great spirit and excitement?
Take this for a reference, Danny Morrison Commentary Highlights...if you notice, he too repeats his lines but the excitement overshadows it.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Yeah true, for test matches i guess you have included a lot of color commentary with statistics, records, memories etc?
And for T20s i wish it would be delivered with great spirit and excitement?
Take this for a reference, Danny Morrison Commentary Highlights...if you notice, he too repeats his lines but the excitement overshadows it.

That's a nice clip.

To give you an idea of how the recordings work, just names alone have to be said in multiple tones, flat, normal, excited, singular, "sentence like", etc.. and these takes days to record - it takes a real pro to sound as good at the end as the did at the start!

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
That's a nice clip.

To give you an idea of how the recordings work, just names alone have to be said in multiple tones, flat, normal, excited, singular, "sentence like", etc.. and these takes days to record - it takes a real pro to sound as good at the end as the did at the start!

Yeah i get it now. Any idea on when you are allowed to let us know who are the commentators?

Users who are viewing this thread