Premier League 2008/09

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The twenty teams playing in the Premier League next season are now known, they are:

Arsenal
Aston Villa
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
Chelsea
Everton
Fulham
Hull City
Liverpool
Manchester City
Manchester United
Middlesbrough
Newcastle United
Portsmouth
Sunderland
Stoke City
Tottenham Hotspur
West Bromwich Albion
West Ham United
Wigan Athletic

Hopefully, discussion of the 2008/09 season will go in this thread!

Manly

Thor
Stick my neck out and predict already:
1.Liverpool - Surely this is the year?
2. Manchester Utd. - Will come close, title will be decided in the two final games.
3. Arsenal - Solid season, only slipping up to the other 3 'big teams'.
4. Everton - Had a nice season last year, should keep that momentum.
5. Chelsea - Will struggle this year after Grant's sacking, need consistency.
6. Newcastle - After a piss-poor season 2007/08, things can only get better under KK.
Mid
Table
Boring
Irrelevant
Yawn
16. Middlesbrough - Look likeliest all season to go down in 18th, but a late drive keeps them up.
17. Bolton - Jammy gits stay up again.
18. Wigan - Finally get what's coming to them (Personal axe - still grinding it).
19. WBA - Up-and-down, Mogga will keep his job though.
20. Hull City - 'Nuff said.

Phil Brown to win the sack race.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Liverpool to win the league ? If that happens I will liturally eat my Everton shirt. It's not going to happen. Newcastle won't come 6th either, that'll be Villa. Chelski will also come much higher than 5th, and really push United and Arsenal all the way, but I'd expect United to continue their dominance.......if Ronaldo stays.

Manly

Thor
Predictions are there to be debated... :p

The Championship next season is where it's at, though.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ronaldo looks pretty much guaranteed to stay this season now, will have to wait till after Euro 2008 to be sure but this year he should be a united player. Anyway winning the league 3 years in a row is ridiculously hard. I think this year is Rooneys year. If he stays fit. So chances are it's Ronaldos year then. Not much point predicting until the transfer markets done though. Stoke will be bottom not Hull though, at least Hull can pass it along the ground.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
2. Manchester Utd. - Will come close, title will be decided in the two final games.
3. Arsenal - Solid season, only slipping up to the other 3 'big teams'.
4. Everton - Had a nice season last year, should keep that momentum.
5. Chelsea - Will struggle this year after Grant's sacking, need consistency.
6. Newcastle - After a piss-poor season 2007/08, things can only get better under KK.
Mid
Table
Boring
Irrelevant
Yawn
16. Middlesbrough - Look likeliest all season to go down in 18th, but a late drive keeps them up.
17. Bolton - Jammy gits stay up again.
18. Wigan - Finally get what's coming to them (Personal axe - still grinding it).
19. WBA - Up-and-down, Mogga will keep his job though.
20. Hull City - 'Nuff said.

Phil Brown to win the sack race.

And this year was supposed to be Liverpool's year and the year before that and the year before that....

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Why do people still expect Liverpool to finish higher than us? They finsihed 9 points behind us and were fighting for 4th place most of the season. Lol at Chelsea being 5th. Because of Grant's sacking? Really, like Grant made that much of an impact. Chelsea will always push for the title. Newcastle will not finish higher than Villa, Everton or even Portsmouth.

Also, Middlesborough will finish in the top 10, I think, plus Haha at Birmingham being relegated. Shame on Martin Taylor.

Last edited:

Bilal91

International Coach
LIVERPOOL TO WIN THE LEAGUE...you are havin a laugh...i think they will be lucky to get even 4th spot if spurs and the like make some good signings...and if arsenal make some other quality signings to go with nasri, they have a really good chance of winning the league...it's the latter part this season which the lost the league to and now they know what to expect going into the latter part and will be better prepared...

SO COME ON THE GOONERS!!!

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I want it to start now, theres no point judging Arsenal or Liverpool yet though because they both are a fair way behind united and Chelsea so it's really down to how they do in the transfer market. If we sign a top striker and midfielder I think we can do it again, and when I say top I mean someone like Fabiano, Huntelaar etc

If Chelsea buy Torres which won't happen but it's a good story for the paper, then they'll win the league :p

Rooney for player of the year. :D

Oh yeah andI think we'll win the league a couple of years after this what with 6+5 rule, thats quality and pretty much hands us the league!

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
4 points.

Pretty sure we won't be offloading any of our young English talent then.

PhilD123

International Coach
I agree, they've turned the corner...

Anyway, probably too early to make predictions but I'll go for it anyway.

1. United (Best team in Europe NFT)
2. Arsenal (Depends on who they lose and who they end up bringing in)
3. Chelsea (Could lose some vital players)
4. Liverpool (Gareth Barry could be the final piece in that 18 year old jigsaw)
5. Spurs (The start of last season was a blip, real quality players)
6. Everton (Need to keep Cahill fit and they could actually make 5th)
7. Aston Villa (Depends if they keep their better players)
8. Blackburn (Need to have more consistency than they did last year)
9. Newcastle (Will get some quality players in)
10. West Ham (Curbishley mid-table mediocrity as standard)
11. Portsmouth (Might come as a suprise, but can see them having a poor season)
12. Wigan (Some good players there, as well as a good manager)
13. Sunderland (will survive comfortably under keano)
14. City (Pride comes before a fall, MASSIVE floodlights though, so consolation)
15. Middlesbrough (Will dabble with relegation for a short time but escape it)
16. WBA (Good footballing side)
17. Fulham (Hodgson will help them to safety just again)
18. Bolton (Don't rate Megson and the journeymen he's got there)
19. Hull City (It doesn't bode well when your joint top leading scorer is on the verge of becoming 40)
20. Stoke City (Enough said NFT)

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
I voted for Liverpool last season, but was way off the track. Next season I am confident Chelsea will sort it out from the beginning and win the league pretty comfortably in the end (similar to what they did in 2004-05 and 2005-06). Chelsea were chasing for most of last season, so all they need to do is not screw up at the start. There is a question of consistency, but I think, most of the players who leave will be replaced by the same level or better players. To be honest, only Drogba, if he does go, will be the real miss. I expect Lampard to stay.

1. Chelsea
2. Man Utd
3. Tottenham (Juande Ramos!!!!)
4. Liverpool
5. Arsenal (No Hleb and Flamini, depending on Cesc and Ade)
6. Everton/Pompey/Aston Villa
9. Man City/Newcastle

PhilD123

International Coach
We also screwed up at the start last year though, it's gonna be interesting, but we've got so many players only on the verge of coming into their best years, so it's looking rosy. I expect Anderson to play a big part, my tip, he'll be up for player of the season at the end of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread