Proteas happiest team in international cricket !

TrophyMaster

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've long subscribed to the idea that if you are having FUN, you're bound to be successful. I recently attended the St Georges Park Viv Richards Trophy 1st Test between SA & the Windies (Windies Won by 128 runs) and was really struck by how the Proteas seemed to be enjoying things ! This was just after Xmas, the lads were having fun in the nets and from what I picked up also recovering from the good traditional excesses of Xmas "spirit" ! By contrast the Windies seemed uncharacteristcally serious ? What a role-reversal ? Jonty Rhodes as fielding coach is key... this guy will never grow up... the Peter Pan of cricket ! As long as the Proteas have the like of Jonty bouncing around, they will be the HAPPIEST team in International cricket, win or lose !

I'll take this a step further, looking at the schedule for 2008 & say, if the Proteas can keep this HAPPY GO LUCKY spirit through the series in England & into Australia ... the pressure of playing a home series against the Aussies will be neutralised and we'll be in for a COOKER ! As much as the Aussies will deny it, the Proteas have some seriously talented players !

These SA talents have often succombed to the tradional Aussie headgame ... I think, with the way these lads are LOVING their cricket right now, there would be nothing but thorough enjoyment in a contest with the Aussies !

With the right build up in victories through the Windies Series & in England, the Proteas might get to Australia with a head of steam & maybe even the highground in terms of ENJOYMENT and international fan support !

Everyone wants the Aussie to be taken down a peg ... the Aussies have marketed themselves as Goliath ... will South Africa, by merely enjoying their current style of play do the David & Goliath ?

I hope so, and I think I count myself among a good crowd of others who'll be paying good money to see the popular underdogs do it down under !

While I agree that being happy about your cricket is paramount to being successful (which is why Australia is one of the top teams because they are always positive and seem to be enjoying their cricket and the company of their teammates on field), I fail to see the example the South Africans being a happy and losing the match to West Indies as helping your theory.

Users who are viewing this thread