Research time! Does 30 over score equal half of 50 over score??

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Spent some of my Sunday afternoon crunching some numbers and came up with some interesting figures! I was looking to prove: firstly, that England rarely doubles their 30 over score (and should be thanking their top order, not bitching about their strike rates...); but secondly, that despite the latest trend of 'backending' an innings, the 30 over score would still be equivalent to half the final score. Turns out I was right on both counts!

All these stats come from:
*ODI matches between the big 8 teams
*since the 2011 World Cup ie. April 3 2011 and onwards
*first innings only (to eliminate run rate pressures during a chase).
The team batting first has faced their full 50 overs 95 times over this period. And keep in mind that teams innings where teams were bowled out before 50 overs won't be counted here.

Here was my method to find the 'halfway score': I simply looked through the commentary to find the point where the team was exactly halfway to their final, 50 over score. In cases where the final score was odd, I went upwards eg. for a final score of 201, 101 was the mark to reach.

The average over for the halfway score in these 95 innings was 29.70 overs, (and the median was 29.83 overs - or 29.5 overs in cricket terminology). So you can see the old addage of doubling the 30 over score to estimate the final total is almost exactly right.

Drilling down further, this is what the scoreboard read, on average, when each of the 8 teams was at their halfway score. I added the wickets and runs as well as they tell an interesting tale too:
Australia: 30.41 overs, 3.12 wickets, 133.29 runs (in 17 innings, AUS have doubled their 30 over score 10 times)
England: 28.75 overs, 2.17 wickets, 136.58 runs (in 12 innings, ENG have doubled their 30 over score 3 times)
India: 31.02 overs, 2.91 wickets, 147.07 runs (in 14 innings, IND have doubled their 30 over score 8 times)
New Zealand: 30.81 overs, 3.14 wickets, 132.29 runs (in 7 innings, NZ have doubled their 30 over score 5 times)
Pakistan: 26.74 overs, 1.57 wickets, 128.71 runs (in 7 innings, PAK have doubled their 30 over score 0 times)
South Africa: 28.43 overs, 2.10 wickets, 143.40 runs (in 10 innings, SA have doubled their 30 over score 3 times)
Sri Lanka: 29.11 overs, 2.53 wickets, 131.87 runs (in 15 innings, SL have doubled their 30 over score 7 times)
West Indies: 30.89 overs, 4.00 wickets, 124.92 runs (in 13 innings, WI have doubled their 30 over score 8 times)

Some conclusions...
Numbers show that Australia, India, New Zealand and West Indies doubled their scores from the 30 over point more often than not, as their average halfway score was reached at greater than 30 overs. That implies their middle/lower order has been stronger than their top order in the last 2 years for these 4 teams. These were also the 4 teams that had generally lost the most wickets at their halfway score, further supporting that theory of a weaker top order.

Then we've got the other 4 nations: England, Pakistan, South Africa and Sri Lanka who have typically reached their halfway score before 30 overs came up. That implies their top order is stronger than the middle/lower order. These 4 also lost less wickets by halfway than the previous 4 nations mentioned above. That interests me, because even though these 4 nations had more wickets in hand at halfway, they couldn't double their scores as frequently as AUS, IND, NZ and WI could.

Does this bust the idea of keeping wickets in hand to make a big late charge? Perhaps, but England and South Africa in particular were generally able to score very well in the first half of their innings, making it more difficult to double that good score in the last 20 overs. India though have proved it is possible to do it, even with good starts. Shows how consistently useful Dhoni is I guess.

Hopefully that hasn't been too confusing, just wanted to provide some figures for anyone wondering :p

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm not sure you can draw any solid conclusions as to the whys and wherefores, for one the opening overs have a powerplay which I don't think you've factored in.

And in the latter overs the innings should accelerate, but not always with wickets in hand which provides some of the inconsistencies. England do have a tendancy to wobble around the 100-140 mark and lose 2-3 wickets that slow their innings down.

In the earlier overs you are also more likely to be consolidating, overs 16-30 say compared to maybe 5-10 overs in the last 20 overs. It's the bit of the innings TV don't like and rulemakers try to spice up by throwing in powerplays and whatnot. Essentially you are using your batsmen to manoeuvre into a position for a late onslaught, 5-6 wickets in hand for the last 10-12 overs.

It's just a general 'rule of thumb' so you can guesstimate what kind of total the side batting first, and to a degree chasing, is likely to reach. Not sure it's meant to be an exacting science, I mean fair play for doing some analysis but I'm not sure it does a lot other than back up said 'rule of thumb'

vet_m

Club Cricketer
Jason ,seriously you should try for a job in cricket analysis and research.

Even ICC would not know about these figures.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It is all about the team. India have the likes of Raina, Dhoni, Kohli, Jadeja who are more than capable of doing it.

Pakistan have no one as such.

It depends on the players playing.

Users who are viewing this thread