Retirements Thread - Imad Wasim

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
He is still going to lead the T20 side. Just retired from boring ODI’s

He will go after the WT20. I'd be surprised if he hangs around. If there werent any WT20 thi year, Finch would've probably announced his retirement from the game itself. By the way, he didnt announce his Test retirement, did he? Is he still hoping to make a comeback by giving up the shorter formats?

Sticking with Autralia, their women's team will miss this one terribly. Has been a mainstay of their team for quite some time now.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It's gonna be Smith again I feel

Would easily be the worst decision and I assume they’ve realised the pitfalls of it with Smudge also realising it ain’t his cup of tea.

Not retirement news per se but in the lack of a place relevant to post this, Neesham has rejected NZC’s central contract citing the agreements he has struck with T20 leagues as a reason. Honestly this is the one situation where I’d completely back the player, he was treated terribly all over these years for being ‘not one of the boys’ and they’ve wasted his skill on and off the field. Just imagine how many eyeballs a savvy Neesh would have brought to NZ cricket if he was endorsed and backed by their board. Imagine how crucial he could have been to the side with his mental fortitude (that this team desperately needs) if he was played as a regular at all times. The straw that broke the camel’s back would have probably been Bracewell out of all players getting a contract ahead of him.

In short, he is likely to make a killing from the various T20 leagues across the globe if fit and I hope he’s successful at it.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Would easily be the worst decision and I assume they’ve realised the pitfalls of it with Smudge also realising it ain’t his cup of tea.

Not retirement news per se but in the lack of a place relevant to post this, Neesham has rejected NZC’s central contract citing the agreements he has struck with T20 leagues as a reason. Honestly this is the one situation where I’d completely back the player, he was treated terribly all over these years for being ‘not one of the boys’ and they’ve wasted his skill on and off the field. Just imagine how many eyeballs a savvy Neesh would have brought to NZ cricket if he was endorsed and backed by their board. Imagine how crucial he could have been to the side with his mental fortitude (that this team desperately needs) if he was played as a regular at all times. The straw that broke the camel’s back would have probably been Bracewell out of all players getting a contract ahead of him.

In short, he is likely to make a killing from the various T20 leagues across the globe if fit and I hope he’s successful at it.

Wanting international cricket to be safeguarded < he'll get to play in the PSL

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Jimmy Neesham, probably a domestic giant, but not so much for NZ. Can be on account of lesser chances being given to him, but I don't recall him setting the stage on fire.

From his personal stand-point, guess he's taken the right decision

Bevab

Staff Member
Jimmy Neesham, probably a domestic giant, but not so much for NZ. Can be on account of lesser chances being given to him, but I don't recall him setting the stage on fire.

From his personal stand-point, guess he's taken the right decision

Mate what?

NZ wouldn’t have won the T20WC semis without his knock, wouldn’t have won the Group Stage match vs Pakistan without him (a very crucial match for qualification as later proved) and he was vital in the final too. The only reason he hasn’t been a bigger factor is because he wasn’t one of the boys and so NZC shunned him on several occasions.

Bevab

Staff Member
2019 World Cup. But hey, wasn't that game won by Babar Azam for Pakistan?

Oops my bad. For some reason I’ve always assumed that Pakistan lost that game and NZ won because the latter qualified for the semis. I suppose this game was the reason that Pakistan wanted head to head record as the differential factor for group standings instead of NRR primarily.

Bevab

Staff Member
Instances like?

(I am not aware)

Just off the top of my head, there was handing a domestic journeyman in Macewell a central contract before him with the former having almost no international experience and good domestic form in only one format. He was also shunned in favour of CdG in tests for no reason after a point (which did work out well in all fairness) and was often ignored in favour of other all-rounders like Doug Bracewell, CdG (again) and Satnav in the last ODI cycle if I remember correctly.

Worst offence is probably Hesson going on live TV and passing some disrespectful comments about him back when he was still the coach of the national team. Can’t seem to find the source for it now but it caused quite a stir back then locally. Roscoe’s recent autobiography also shows how conservative the NZC board and management is and how they view cricketers who aren’t conforming to their stereotypical views and culture.

In a nutshell he hasn’t been adequately backed for odd reasons multiple times in his career when his form wasn’t particularly bad (in comparison to other favourites of the team) and his deeds and plaudits have seldom been praised in a NZ context by the ones in power and he hasn’t been rewarded adequately for that either. To make a comparison, he’s got the pulse on the average modern cricket fan in terms of interaction and understanding like Jemimah Rodrigues but he’s barely if ever featured or been used that way by NZC. He’s also as shown come up with the goods big time in pressure situations and is one of the few NZ cricketers who has shown an elite mentality in such times without appearing like he was stuck in a mental block. And this is despite him having suffered various injuries in his career that has turned him from someone who could bowl up to 140 to a bloke barely bowling low 130s these days.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Mate what?

NZ wouldn’t have won the T20WC semis without his knock, wouldn’t have won the Group Stage match vs Pakistan without him (a very crucial match for qualification as later proved) and he was vital in the final too. The only reason he hasn’t been a bigger factor is because he wasn’t one of the boys and so NZC shunned him on several occasions.
As I said, don't recall tbh!

I mean, his knocks might have been instrumental partially, but they havent been of the nature of say a:
  • Cairns vs India ,ICC CT Final 2000
  • Fleming v SA, ICC CWC 2003
  • McCullum v Eng, CWC 2015
  • Taylor v Pak, CWC 2011
  • Elliott v SA, CWC 2015

See, what I mean?

Bevab

Staff Member
As I said, don't recall tbh!

I mean, his knocks might have been instrumental partially, but they havent been of the nature of say a:
  • Cairns vs India ,ICC CT Final 2000
  • Fleming v SA, ICC CWC 2003
  • McCullum v Eng, CWC 2015
  • Taylor v Pak, CWC 2011
  • Elliott v SA, CWC 2015

See, what I mean?

I do see your point as he does not have the luxury of a big score in that semis last year. However without him going aggressive and reducing the run-rate from very tough to manageable I doubt Mitchell would have survived to seal the game. Maybe if NZ won the 2019 game vs Pakistan his knock would have been on this list but I can see why you don’t view him as that sort of a player.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Expecting a few announcements post the current WT20.

Finch, Smith, Kohli, Williamson, Shami, Ashwin and DK from the T20 format

Users who are viewing this thread