Saqlain Mushtaq

dayne

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
been wondering for a while now whatever happened to pakistans little master of spin? saqlain mushtaq used to be one of pakistans most dangerous players with his bowling technique and later on with his batting abilities, nowadays his name is almost unknown in pakistan.. he was once ranked at the top of the world bowling rankings in test match cricket and im to be honest not sure what hes up to now and why the pakistan selectors are not noticing him.. last i heard, he was playing cricket for the english county club surrey, but im uncertain if thats where he wants to be, last i saw him play was way back in 99/00 in australia against australia and india...

anyone know what hes upto and why he isnt being recognised for his abilities by the pakistan selectors (besides the corruptness of the board :p )

I heard he'd had a few injury problems. He last played for Pakistan in the first Test against India in 2004. He missed most of last season for Surrey.

Yeah and in that match he got hammered by Sehwag (309). Sehwag brought up his 300 with a six against I think Saqlain. He's probably past his prime and they just unceremoniously retired him from the national squad.

and anyway commentators during the indo-pak series said that he was easy for the batsman to play him after a while because people had worked out how to play him and he was becoming less effective and i think he has an ankle injury at present and he is using crutches

There's an interview with him here - it's over a year old though

Last edited:
they said that he bowled too many doosraas and he forget how to bowl the off break

jazz said:
they said that he bowled too many doosraas and he forget how to bowl the off break

yeah, i heard a comment like that... doosra used to be really effective for him, as it is now for murali

he was a great bowler .I remember he used to pair up with that wonderous leggie mushtaq ahmed.what a pair that was.They normally used to bambooxle the opposition.

Venkatesh Prasad dissapeared the same way & has now retaired.

I used to like Pakistan when players like Saqlain ,Mustaq Ahemad,Anwar,Wasim Akram were playing.It used to be such a good team.

Last edited:
yeah, i miss those guys... nowadays pakistan has a very young inexperinced side which seem to be following in the foosteps of waqar younis, wasim akram, ijaz ahmed and saeed anwar but that anticpation that people used to get waching that side which included names such as saqlain mushtaq isnt quite there at this stage.

Saqlain Mushtaq is due for a comeback in October against England in a home series. He's been out because of a knee (or was it ankle) surgery. As far as I can remember he was doing good before the Indo-Pak series last year, but I hope he gets a chance against Engalnd to show his worth. Maybe he can pair up with Kaneria in tests and wreak havoc, seeing as how Shoaib Malik's action is still under investigation and Arshad Khan is still trying to prove himself. I don't see many more off-spinners in the Pakistani side with that kind of potential.

All said and done Saqlain will remain the greatest off-spinner in ODI's.

He is indespensable as far as ODI's is concerned.

Cant say same about Tests though

Well, Mushtaq Ahmed just played two matches for the Lashings World XI side against two of our domestic sides. They lost both of their matches convincingly.

you cant end a guys whole career just because he failed to pick up wickets and gave away too many runs. That was one of the good qualities of Imran Khan He stook with One team because he knows when that team does good its going to do really good!

Saqlain's Average and wickets tells all! and hes good at batting for a tailender!
IN TESTS
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 49 78 14 927 101* 14.48 25.72 1 2 15 0

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 2345 541 6206 208 29.83 8-164 13 3 67.6 2.64

ODI

M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 169 98 38 711 37* 11.85 49.58 0 0 40 0

O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling 1461.4 66 6275 288 21.78 5-20 11 6 30.4 4.29

Users who are viewing this thread