Sehwag fined.... Lara not...

varunvgiri

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sehwag has been fined 20% of his match fees for prematurely celebrating the wicket before the umpire has given his verdict. While Brian Lara left a meeting with the umpires and match referee feeling pleased.

Well..., considering that both his wickets in the second innings were obvious dismissals with bravo edging to the keeper and ramdin getting a huge edge to slip its hard to see how he could have been fined for both those dismissals. So are the bowlers required to continue appealing even when the dismissal is obvious? So they say that it is against the spirit of the game to pressurize the umpires by celebrating without appealing.

Well Brian Lara can go and ask the batsman to walk off accepting the word of an uncertain player (The umpires later said Ganga was uncertain when asked about the catch) and that is not a breach of code of conduct. And we havent mentioned the ball grabbing and finger pointing incidents. Also, Brian Lara as captain should be doubly responsible for upholding the spirit of the game.

Well Brian has taken the high line by saying that the sprit of the game suffers when batsmen don't trust fielders, but wasnt he threatening the same spirit by his behaviour...???

Last edited:
I agree with you. On my first viewing of the Dhoni dismissal incident, I thought Lara was too arrogant and too straight. No matter how bad of a job the umpires are doing, it is up to them to control the game. This is also, indirectly, the reason Sehwag got fined--because he made the decision of the wicket being taken without asking the umpire.

Brian Lara was rude and tried to control the flow of the game. He did not listen to the umpires, turned his back on them, etc. Ah, whatever, 20% is probably far less than Sehwag even gets paid for one commercial. :p

sohummisra said:
Ah, whatever, 20% is probably far less than Sehwag even gets paid for one commercial.

That is quite beside the point. Its the symbolism of penalizing Sehwag while letting Lara get scot free that rankles. It is quite extraordinary that Lara gets away with gross misconduct, and for most people the reasons won't be hard to find. I don't know why the ICC continues to do such things which reinforces many people's view that there is some sort of bias against asian countries.

Well, Sehwag's fine is justified, because it has been given out to everyone since the ICC made that ruling that the player must appeal for any decision that isn't completely obvious. Also, Cricinfo states that Sehwag was pulled up for over-appealing, although I don't think I saw that.

And I know what the problem is, which is why this is what I had said:
sohummisra said:
I agree with you. On my first viewing of the Dhoni dismissal incident, I thought Lara was too arrogant and too straight. No matter how bad of a job the umpires are doing, it is up to them to control the game. This is also, indirectly, the reason Sehwag got fined--because he made the decision of the wicket being taken without asking the umpire.

Lara is a very smart person and I can only assume he talked his way out of a punishment or fine when he met with the match referee. Lara's status and his good record over 15 years may have also been a factor.

jdbais said:
Lara is a very smart person and I can only assume he talked his way out of a punishment or fine when he met with the match referee. Lara's status and his good record over 15 years may have also been a factor.

Precisely! I agree with what Lara did after the controversial aspect of it at the end of the 4th day. Its all good for the game...

rocklara said:
Precisely! I agree with what Lara did after the controversial aspect of it at the end of the 4th day. Its all good for the game...
Going by other people's testimonials, I'd have to say I disagree.

BTW, am I the only one who feels that there are atleast two threads in Cricket Chat that could easily be merged into Windies vs India thread?

nightprowler10 said:
Going by other people's testimonials, I'd have to say I disagree.

I disagree as well,Id have said the same even if Dravid had done it.The game should never reach a point where the players argue or disagree with the umpires,and as Lara had done so for whatever reason he should have been at the least given a warning.I however beleive that Sehwag's fine was justified.

sid_19840 said:
I disagree as well,Id have said the same even if Dravid had done it.The game should never reach a point where the players argue or disagree with the umpires,and as Lara had done so for whatever reason he should have been at the least given a warning.I however beleive that Sehwag's fine was justified.
Yup, and any player, be him a captain or just another player, should not have to force his opinion on another one, and then be pissed off if the latter does not agree.

the reason might be lara dont argue so much in cricket matches but about indian team and especially sehwag he do overappealing and sometimes celebrates without hearing umpires decision, that creates prob for him sometimes and this happens in last game too.

Users who are viewing this thread