Sep 28 - Australia v India

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner

That will be a really brave and good decision.

I read somewhere that its going to be between Sehwag and Yuvraj. Can't believe how Yuvraj can be put in the firing line for a T20. Yes he is coming back from a cancer, but he has been in good form recently. Took 3 wickets and won us a close game vs Afghan and also got a good hit of 35 vs New Zealand and almost won us that game. Yuvraj in T20 is a monster when he gets going, and you have to believe he will soon. And he is a far sharper fielder and bowler than Sehwag (even though Yuvi's fielding standard has dropped drastically).

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Although i have constant reservations about Australia's overall team balance, i still think they should have enough to beat India.

AUS had a solid work out in the UAE vs Ajmal on co, so i'm confident in their form to handle India's spinners first and foremost.

AUS just have to make sure their bowling can be disciplined enough to keep India's batting to a manageable total.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I agree with Shravi. Leave apart the fact that Yuvraj has just come from a fight against cancer, leave all that nonsense about "sympathy". Going by the facts, he has been better with the bat and the ball in this WC, better than Sehwag. The problem with Sehwag is, he has to open the batting and get Indian off to a good start almost always, that's what we expect from him. I believe that test performances and ODI performances need not to do anything with T20I and that's why I think that people have been putting excess pressure on him to perform. So far, in the tournament he has played like what, 1 match? And earlier, he played a t20 in Australia, if I'm not wrong. So, now he hasn't really been out of form in t20's either but considering the fact that only one among Sehwag or Yuvi can be picked in the XI, I'd as the captain, go for an all rounder in Yuvi.

I'd actually like to see Irfan open the batting again. Give the guy another chance, he is seriously a fine batsman who has a good pull (which some top batsmen in our team don't). He can easily clear the boundary and has got a good temperament. His running at times is very poor but then again other batsmen aren't running like Bolt, so that isn't a issue.

Addy

National Board President
So the big boy is sitting out tomorrow?

Aus v Ind, Super Eights, Group 2, World Twenty20, Colombo : MS Dhoni's plans likely to push Virender Sehwag out | Cricket Features | ICC World Twenty20 2012 | ESPN Cricinfo

Yudi ain't gonna like it :p

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Would like to see Dave Hussey in this one. Not for any anti-Bailey reasons (:p), but because I like the matchups. If India are going to play 2-3 spinners, then Hussey's the man to attack them. Ashwin would surely remember getting pummelled by Dave in a Super Over in the Champions League a couple of years ago, and Harbhajan's off-spin would suit Hussey's leg side hitting as well.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Looking at the first game this pitch is really going to favour India, will take some effort for us to win it given our dismal displays against spin.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Disappointed to see Sehwag sit out. But, I think it's alright considering the position Dhoni is in. Having said that, I would have loved to see Viru and Gauti opening there. Will still be happy if Irfan comes out with Gautam. :D

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Lot of criticism for Sehwag. I don't know why. Since his 219, his form hasn't been good but not even bad. Rohit performs in one game and he is said to be back in form, REALLY!!

After 219, Sehwag played 4 tests in Aus. He was the only batsman along with Sachin and Kohli to get two 50+ scores in the series. Then he batted superbly in the second T20 against Australia. In the ODI series, he was getting starts in almost every inning. Even the game against Sri Lanka which India won in less than 40 overs, Sehwag's quick start was extremely important for the other batsmen to continue the momentum.

Then he had a STUNNING IPL. Created a T20 World Record of becoming the only batsman to score 5 consecutive 50+ scores.

Then there was the Sri Lanka ODI series, and he batted pretty well in that series too. He even scored 96 in the first match, couldn't score a ton as he was unfortunately run out. Then came the test series, even though he didn't score a single 50 in the 2 games, he recorded 40+ scores in almost every inning.

So overall his form has been decent. Not good, but not even bad. He performed well in the warmups too. Just a failure against Afghanistan and he is being adjudged as 'completely out of form'. It's not that the Afghanistan game was a do or die for him, but it's baffling to see how this issue of Viru's form has suddenly come up at such a big scale.

I'm obviously very disappointed. Enough is enough. Until Viru returns I'm not at all rooting for India. Can't stand this dirty politics anymore.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I'd open with Virat, better if you ask me, and it worked quite well against NZ.

Users who are viewing this thread